PDA

View Full Version : MacAllen Cask Strength

M2d
02-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Got a bottle of this for my birthday. Havn't tried it yet, but, given the label, I don't doubt that it's good.
Anyone have any opinions about it?

HDPM
02-18-2003, 03:07 PM
My opinion is to open the bottle and find out as quickly as possible. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I have not had that particular Macallan but have liked all the other Macallans I have had.

brad
02-18-2003, 09:13 PM
me too. i would guess a splash of water mandatory but maybe not anyway im not a connaseur or whatever.

Ray Zee
02-19-2003, 12:42 AM
dont listen to those two drunks. they would like methonal. they are not credible. best you send the bottle to me to test and dispose of properly.

M2d
02-19-2003, 02:45 PM
don't you guys distill your own up in them thar woods?

Ray Zee
02-19-2003, 11:11 PM
no we are too busy finding you city slickers and having them make little piggy noises for us.

M2d
02-20-2003, 01:58 AM
oink oink. first you call me a fish, then you want me to make piggie noises. as long as you montanans don't ask me to be a sheep...

M2d
02-20-2003, 02:08 AM
opened the bottle to celebrate, uh, I don't know. Trista's choice? Tom Watson's win on the Golf Channel classic show? my win this afternoon in the fifteen game?
any or all of the above will suffice.
Anyway, first I tried it neat. very nice, tight aroma and taste. warmed me up down to my toes. Nice caramelly (is that a word?) start with that warm whiskey glow finishing it.

I then (in the interest of science, of course) poured a couple more fingers and tried it, this time, with a splash of water.
Wow. same range of flavors, but completely opened up. where it once was a tight, nice whiskey, it now became a very full, taste with the different flavor elements extended out from start to finish.
final analysis 1) for the price ($44), I'd highly recommend it.
Final analysis 2) given the above review I just wrote, I really need to get away from the city.

BTW, just got a black perch (salt water) on a freshwater scud in the SF bay. I noticed that the FFers tend to also read the scotch threads (hmmm), so I thought I'd add this in here.

Ed I
02-20-2003, 04:08 AM
Fly? I know as little about scotch as I do fishing salt. I'm a cheap beer guy.

Ray Zee
02-20-2003, 09:31 AM
black perch-- thats one of those things that looks like a goldfish that swallowed a cd. they used to catch alot of them things around moss bay or is it moss landing --around south of pacifica and north of half moon bay. i never ate one of them but i understand they are good. never caught one either. how big was it.

M2d
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Think saltwater bluegill. The black perch (pogies in local terms) are like bluegill on steroids. same shape and coloration, but bigger. The one I got was about ten inches, but I've gotten them up to 14" and 2lbs. They are pretty good eating.
Got this guy about ten minutes from the Oaks.