PDA

View Full Version : Time to start analyzing SH play (not stats)

prayformojo
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Ok, this is my third foray into short-handed games, away from the security blanket of full ring. I've played just under 10k hands, and am satisfied that my superficial stats look about right. I've had some swings, but am happy with my win rate for the time being. What I need to do now is start looking into my post-flop play.

Villain in this hand is 21.48% VP$IP, 12.10% PFR, and post-flop aggression 4.00 after 600+ hands. If Villain is observant, and I believe he is, he has seen me bet the flop and turn heads up with unpaired overcards and semi-bluffs.

I'll take criticism on any street, but I'm especially interested in the river play. I find that more and more I am check/calling the river in situations like this. Any thoughts?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Lost Wages
07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Your preflop call is horrible. Looks like he's calling you down so bet the river. Otherwise he bets his ace and checks thru his 8.

Lost Wages

DMBFan23
07-14-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't like your pr4eflop call, especially not at 3/6 which is a 1/3 blind structure.

my usual line on A high flops with hands like this is to check call the flop and bet out on the turn, I handle a raise when I get there. sometimes I call down, sometimes I fold, cometimes I three bet. it all depeneds on how I improved, how he's played hands I've seen, etc.

as the top card gets lower I'm more inclined to just c/r the flop

prayformojo
07-14-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your preflop call is horrible. Looks like he's calling you down so bet the river. Otherwise he bets his ace and checks thru his 8.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument pre-flop. I agree he bets his ace and agree he check/calls an 8 more than half the time. What about when a very aggressive player has nothing or a small pair against another aggressive player who is known to bet with little or nothing?

ckessel
07-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find that more and more I am check/calling the river in situations like this. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The SSH/ToP quote is something like "Bet the river. You make more when ahead and lose the same when behind."

The villian hasn't shown an indication he's going to raise the river, so this seems a classic case where you must bet the river because by checking you let him see the showdown for free or bet you for value when he then knows he's ahead.

The only time I check the river is if the guy is aggressive and gave indications of being on a missed draw. In those cases if I bet he'll fold, but if I check I might induce a bluff.