PDA

View Full Version : What's a good response when someone asks you what cards you had?

revots33
07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.

Mens Rea
07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Just lie.

Ghazban
07-14-2005, 11:19 AM
"I don't know; I never looked."

Matt Williams
07-14-2005, 11:20 AM
When people like that ask me, I usually say "I had you beat, don't worry about it." Or if he says "Did you have Jack-Queen?", just say "Yea, something like that.".

canis582
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
I love the options so far. You can also call him out for being a dick explain to him that 3/6 is alot of money to you and you arent giving him free info.

Its tough being an introvert, try cocaine, i hear its a helluva drug.

nycplayer
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I forgot.

ChicagoTroy
The guy's an idiot and had no right to know your hand. If anybody sides with them, they're idiots, but at $3-6 they may even be the majority.

It's not unethical to lie in this situation. Or ask him if he'd rather we all just play with our cards face up.

ReptileHouse
I usually either make something up or just say, "I don't really remember."

sfer
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

iPods rule.

evans075
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Make your-self look like a fish and Quote rounders or something, ie. "Sorry John I don't remember."

NobodysFreak
07-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I've had the same problem before. Generally when someone tells me that I should tell them what I had because the stakes are so low I usually just say something about how if in fact they are so low, why didn't you call the last bet just to see what I had? You'll get some action after a comment like that. Otherwise, I usually just say I forgot.

dcasper70
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Try 'Suited Kings'
or 'Pocket Hubcaps'

or my fav:
'Pair of Balls'

ckmo
07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
a pair of ducks

dtbog
07-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I generally have pocket deuces. Deuce on the board? Two? Three? no matter.

sekrah
07-14-2005, 11:46 AM
From a dealer at Harrah's Atlantic City.. "Pay-Per-View".

PokerBob
07-14-2005, 11:48 AM
"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

BottlesOf
07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
No, you were not wrong. Find some way to make fun of him, or just make a cockeyed face and shake your head at him.

I employ all of the following when asked abuot my hand:

a) I tell them my hand
b) I tell them some other hand
c) I do what you did
d) I say I forgot
e) I say "The best hand"

f) (Thanks Dave) I listen to my ipod and skillfully avoid engaging people who annoy me.

VoraciousReader
07-14-2005, 12:01 PM
He does not have any right to know what your cards were. Still, just ignoring his question encourages someone to be unpleasant.

I usually say "pocket aces", no matter what I actually held. If the table is in a good mood, you can do this repeatedly and they will just think you're hilarious. If the table is hostile like that guy, you can only do it once or twice. In that case, I would just shrug and say pair of ____ (whatever the lowest card on the board is). It's not worth it to make everyone start thinking seriously and kill the action.

W. Deranged
07-14-2005, 12:03 PM
My response is generally based on: what do they want to hear?

I like my opponents to think that they are playing correctly and making good laydowns when they aren't. If there is an obvious hand out there and I have it, I'll often admit to having it. If there's an obvious hand out and I don't have it, I'll often lie and say I do. It tends to ease the minds of my opponent's, they avoid thinking to much about anything, they stay happy and passive and continue to lose their chips in an efficient manner.

I am very much of the opinion that lying/actually saying your hand is always a better option than saying "the best hand" or "you have to pay to find out." Those kinds of stock comments will often annoy the table and breed animosity, even though they're totally within the rules. Give your opponents something to hold onto to keep them happy and not thinking that you're out for blood. This image creation can also be used to your advantage later.

-Will

Jeffage
07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
I typically play 40-80 at Borgata. I hit a flush on the river in a huge pot and sprung to life and bet. This good player thought forever and finally folded what was obv a strong hand. He asked what I had.

"That's the $80 question isn't it?"

Jeff

JerseyTom
07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I always say "I had jacks".

If you think about it, it's almost always plausible... Even if there are 3 J's on the board, I say "I had jacks".

Tom

TripleH68
07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite. In this case you say "I forgot already."

Villain says "did you have the jack."

You say "yeah."

It's over.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
At the 10/20 in Council Bluffs, IA last week, there were three hands still in at showdown, two aces were on the board, and the agressor the whole way mucked his cards when the other two players both showed an ace. Someone asked what he had and he claimed to have the fifth ace. I called him out on it. It was fun.

That is all.

The Goober
07-14-2005, 12:12 PM
In this situation, I'd almost always just say that I had a jack. If I find a guy that I think I can bluff, I like want him to think he's making good laydowns when I do it. In general when a bad player asks what cards I had, I tell him whatever makes him feel smart, so he'll continue playing his particular brand of bad poker with gusto and not think about his play.

coffeecrazy1
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
My favorite response is "two cards and a bet."

If pressed, I can use one of the deep East Texas nicknames for hands that no one outside of a game I used to play in uses.

Ex:
"I had Rudell, and it was onsuit."
"I had the Hubert Watson hand."
"I had Snookums."
"I had the Great Brandoni."

And yes, these are all actual hand names.

Or, if you like,
"I had the Granny Mae." /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If that doesn't work, I will begin making up nicknames for hands. Bonus for double entendres.

Ex:
"I had the Whiskey Sour."
"I had the Naked Waitress."
"I had the Fish Catcher."

revots33
07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks very much all for the advice. These are good!

Gordon Scott
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I just say good fold and tell them "I had the nuts"

Best of Luck

andyfox
07-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Good game, keep it friendly. Tell him what you think he wants to hear. In this case, something like J-T. You can even add that you probably made a mistake raising.

Etiquette does not require that you tell him what you had; he was being discourteous asking and insiting that you tell him. But when I'm in a game where a lot of the other players play worse than I do, I try to keep the game as pleasant for the other players as possible. Which is a good policy anyway.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-14-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. However, when someone is being like this moron was, you simply tell them what they want to hear. Keep the game happy.

You had KJ, simple as that.

al

Baloosh
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that this is the only Lederer quote that one can use at the table... the rest are -EV.

Well, except for the, "Don't worry Phil. They'll definitely show that one on TV."

stinkysam
07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
I usually tell them that I got dealt the rule card and figured it was worth somthin. Then if they keep after me, I'll just tell them to go [censored] themselves

prayformojo
07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
"The winning hand."

What can I say, I'm a sucker for ambiguity. Half the players I say this to assume I mean the nuts, the other half click that I'm messing with them.

I sometimes use "pocket deuces" as well, but only when deuces wouldn't have played, like a double paired board.

KenProspero
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I view this as an opportunity. Since I feel no obligation to be truthful, the question is: "What do I want my table image to be?"

For example, if I've been playing very tight, and someone folded to my monster hand, I may say "Bottom Pair", or it was a bluff.

Do I want to enhance my image as a tight player -- in that case, I'm sure I had a set at least.

In some cases, if I really had the hand I would want to claim anyway, I'll even just flip them over.

Another advantage I see to all of this is that if someone asks you what your cards are, you almost have a free shot to ask them what they had at some point in the future. If I can get some (admittedly suspect) information from telling a lie, that's great.

belloc
07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good game, keep it friendly. Tell him what you think he wants to hear. In this case, something like J-T. You can even add that you probably made a mistake raising.

Etiquette does not require that you tell him what you had; he was being discourteous asking and insiting that you tell him. But when I'm in a game where a lot of the other players play worse than I do, I try to keep the game as pleasant for the other players as possible. Which is a good policy anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do, and why I do it.

Percula
07-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Something to keep in mind... A happy table is almost always +EV, but a table that is pissy or a couple of guys PO'ed at you can sometimes be +EV too.

If the guy is PO'ed at you, there is a very good chance he is going to enter any pot your are in with any two trying to get the better of you, especially if you raised it. Use this to your advantage.

I generally play in a big bet game and have taken to doing this if someone is really up in arms about seeing cards... "OK you can see one card for half of the last bet, both for the full bet" sometimes I add "pick one, it really doesnt matter they are both the same". To my shock a few people have paid the half bet. /images/graemlins/blush.gif LOL

Some of my favorite lines...

"If I told you, you wouldnt like it"
"Same as you, I just bet it is all"
"Hell if I know I didnt look at them. Dealer do you remember?"
"A pair of Kems"
"A bet you couldnt call"
"Its 3/6 (4/8, 6/12)... so any two will do"
"It maybe low limit, but I still play my best"

M2d
07-14-2005, 01:20 PM
three options:
Pocket Aces
Whatever the second nuts were (you have to figure it out and say a hand, not just "second nuts")
whatever he thinks you had (if he guesses, then "yeah, that was it")

whichever option you choose, stick with it the whole session.

Bill Bixby
07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Lie

Yarney
07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
One that I use when the table is already in a good mood is "Trust me, if you had me beat you would have called."

It doesn't necessarilly mean that you have the nuts, but that you did have a pretty good hand that was certainly worth a bet.

-Yarney

Hal 2000
07-14-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One that I use when the table is already in a good mood is "Trust me, if you had me beat you would have called."

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my favorites too

Rick Diesel
07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I did not read through the other responses, but regardless of what the board shows, the answer is always pocket jacks, even if there are three jacks on board.

bernie
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

iPods rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was expecting to see an age old line you used long ago. "I'd just get up and take a dump right on the table."

b

Groty
07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
My response is generally a curt one. Something like "it doesn't matter, the hand is over" sends the signal that I don't appreciate being put in a positon to answer a question that should never have been asked.

sourbeaver
07-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Just wink at him, he'll go nuts.

bernie
07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Tell them what they want to hear. Ignore what you actually had. If they ask, did you have QJ? Yeah! I guess I could've had that!

Or...(somewhat softly, almost to self but audible enough for the idiot) Man, I've always wanted to pull something like that off...(followed by a quick headshake signifying relief that they folded)

Don't worry about what you actually had and that they might 'guess' it right. Treat every guess they do as the same. They still don't know. This could actually give you practice with your pokerface at no risk.

Some do act as if it's social hour on the table. Claiming the friendliness of the game and all that crap. Just have fun with it. Explore the possible creativity of the situation.

b

bernie
07-14-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My response is generally a curt one. Something like "it doesn't matter, the hand is over" sends the signal that I don't appreciate being put in a positon to answer a question that should never have been asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda nitty, don't ya think? This actually refers to other responses in this same vein that are in the thread.

b

Altaslim
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
The most striking response I've heard in a similar situation went something like, "Ask me that again and you'll be picking up your teeth." Uncomfortable silence ensued.

Matt Flynn
07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
"Anything I say would be a lie."

johnc
07-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I always say "same thing you had - two cards". It seems to always get a chockle or two.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Anything I say would be a lie."

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this.

Mackie
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
This is one good reason to play with headphones on. You don't need to have music playing through them, just wear them.

My response would be: "relax and call next time".

cardcounter0
07-14-2005, 06:02 PM
72o

Mountainhawk
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
"Oh, am I supposed to look at those cards in front of me?"

vistaplayer
07-14-2005, 10:20 PM
two-three soooooted!

RacersEdge
07-14-2005, 11:11 PM
I find it's more in your attitude - just be light and smile with whatever you say. I had a guy ask me if I had the flush, and I just smiled as I mucked my cards and said "was there a flush out there?"

jetsg4
07-14-2005, 11:24 PM
i usually say "flopped a str8" or "flopped a boat"... even if the board is j10j... say you flopped a str8..

JoeU
07-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I usually say:

"I had the nuts with a draw to the nuts".

This usually makes them think long enough to shut up.

If they ask again, I repeat the answer and tell them that if they can't remember the board, then I can't help them.

Joe

DuceTrey23
07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Very simple response....'You Got to Pay to See!'....'Slide me XX $$ and I'll tell you, if you 'trust' me'....works for me....used it 100's of times...

Trainwreck
07-15-2005, 02:25 AM
I just automatically LIE in whatever direction fits the situation.

Usually to fit with my DESIRED table image...

or

maybe

just always say:

'Pocket 4's'

LOL!

Doesn't matter, but I rarely tell the truth just like the pros SEEN ON TV! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

>TW<

csuf_gambler
07-15-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history.

[/ QUOTE ]

the kid's right, this is only a 3/6 table. don't be a dick to the fish. you said you just ignored the guy, thats not very cool of you. didn't your mom ever teach you any manners? at least have some decency to talk to the guy. if you didn't want to tell him what you had, you could of just lied and got it over with. a simple "yes, i had J-10". would that of been so hard? you said this was a real good table, as such you want to keep the fish happy. and wtf are you doing bluff raising with Q9 on a JJ2 board? i hope this play isn't part of your regular arsenal.

heres something similiar that happened to me, except i did the correct thing instead of being a dick to the fish. im playing in my regular 8/16 game at ocean's 11. i had just gotten moved to the main game and this table was live as fuk. horrible players all around. i was up like 2-3 racks within the first hour at this table. the guy sitting to my right was a total donk fish who was just spewing chips like crazy and he was a friendly guy too. then this hand came up. its a kill pot, a few limpers to me. im on the button with QJo. i call. flop comes something like J-9-2. checked to me, i bet. get 2 callers, one of them is the guy on my right. turn is another jack. guy to my right now gay bets. i raise. the third guy thinks for a long time then folds. the guy on my right then thinks for awhile then folds also. he then asks me in kind of sad way "did you have the jack?" i show him the jack to keep him happy. he tells me nice hand and says he had Q-10 for the open ended, the other guy said he also had the Q-10. see, now why would you want to piss this guy off by being a dick? if i had ignored this guy and just mucked my cards, you think he would be happy? no, he would of probably be pissed off and left. im not saying you need to show your cards everytime, but do what you can to keep the fish happy.

Trainwreck
07-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Forgot my old standard: 'I can't remember.'

That I like best...

>TW<

TheCroShow
07-15-2005, 03:44 AM
i like exercising honesty at the table...sets em up for that key pot you can lie your way out of. a matter of preference and you can really only get away with it at lower limit tables but i'm not shy about showing my hands. then when you scoop that nice pot and your opponent asks what you had, you can lie and say "aces up" or something...make sure you muck your cards first.

another good response "you beat!" layne flack said that to matusow in one of the wpt's for season 3.

fimbulwinter
07-15-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.

[/ QUOTE ]

"aces"

seriously, for your sake know that you'll make more money long term if you oblige and have fun with it. it is a fricking 3/6 game. smiling tables make you money; even if you showed every hand (like i often do), nothing would change WRT their play.

fim

RJT
07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Dang it Al, last time someone asked me, I kicked him in the nuts. I guess it was the wrong context. Well, I am still learning the game.

Slubrad
07-15-2005, 05:57 PM
When ever someone asks if I had a certain card I always respond " Dude??..didnt I just play like I did?"
The usual response is a ear to ear grin, so proud of one's
ability to read me.......

lil feller
07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
lf

LoosenUp
07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wink at him, he'll go nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, this one is genius. Holy S, just continuously wink every time he asks, with no other sign of a response. This really is great. The more he harps on you the more you wink, LOL. I can't wait to try this one. How frustrated that little punk will get.

Thanks sourbeaver /images/graemlins/wink.gif

masse75
07-16-2005, 01:21 AM
"What'd you have?"

"I had the Reuben with potato salad on the side. My friend had the French Dip."

Rick Nebiolo
07-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Good post. Some of you young punks are wiser (I already know you guys who post here are smart) than I originally thought. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

MisterKing
07-16-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 of a kind, Ace of purple horseshoes.

chumdawg
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
This may not work well for the introverted types, but if you're wanting to have a little fun at the tables, and especially if you are drinking, you can say:

"I had the cow...AND the calf."

Say it like you mean it, and with a smile of course, and trust me, they will get a kick out of it. Then when you get involved postflop when there is an obvious draw on the board, you call out very enthusiastically:

"Gimme that COW!"

They'll eat that stuff up. Sets up all sorts of bluffing opportunities. And the next time someone folds to you, you can smirk and say, "I only had the calf that time."

Soon they will be asking you which one you have. Before the hand is even over. How can you pass up this sort of fun?