PDA

View Full Version : Disconnect-Protection should not exist

Voltron87
07-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Far more money is won by cheaters who abuse this than is saved by honest players. Discuss.

primetime32
07-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I can see the problem people have with it, however, some of us who do not have a great connection all the time (using a wireless router) appreciate the option. We have all been the victim of it once or twice, but that is the price we pay.

From what i can tell most of the major sites now provide tables that do not allow disconnect protect, so this is really a non-issue for 95 percent of us.

evans075
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Maybe the option is to have more no DP tables than ones that have it!

sexdrugsmoney
07-14-2005, 11:16 AM
We've all seen people who abuse it, only to two hands later come back and alive again. Yes it's incredibly cheap, and sure its unfair.

But lets look at the other side of the coin, what if you are playing the best poker of your life and knee deep in a pot that you are a favorite to win and suddenly your connection cuts out - whether you are 56k, or your ADSL provider goes down, or your house blows a fuse - good honest people who don't abuse DP need it in times like this.

I think DP should stay, but poker sites should be very frugal about monitoring DP and how many times it is used by a player per month and how long it takes them to get back in action.

My 0.02.

evans075
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We've all seen people who abuse it, only to two hands later come back and alive again. Yes it's incredibly cheap, and sure its unfair.

But lets look at the other side of the coin, what if you are playing the best poker of your life and knee deep in a pot that you are a favorite to win and suddenly your connection cuts out - whether you are 56k, or your ADSL provider goes down, or your house blows a fuse - good honest people who don't abuse DP need it in times like this.

I think DP should stay, but poker sites should be very frugal about monitoring DP and how many times it is used by a player per month and how long it takes them to get back in action.
My 0.02.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lines I made bold are two really good points. If the second one was true this Post would be pointless. As we know though Poker sites fail to do this. If they were persistant on this as well as collusion instead of Poker databases that many people only use to track one-self play rather than others, me included, I belive there would be better poker online. I ran into possible collusion last night where I was in LP with QQ faced with a bet and a raise on the flop of Kxx I folded due to no reads on the raiser. Turn and river were checked through. Final show down, raiser had QJo and bettor had 33, 33 Won the pot. I made a not and watched for them to try it again but I ended up leaving B4 I could catch it again. But, back to the DP it serves both sides, good and bad. Poker sites should def. monitor this as they do poker databases. NH sexdrugsmoney!

HRFats
07-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Can someone explain how DP is used to cheat? I see people get disconnected all the time but I never thought they were cheating. I just thought their ISP sucked. Tell me what to watch for so I can report them and find a different table. Thanks.

Sephus
07-14-2005, 04:26 PM
if someone makes a bet that you don't want to call, disconnecting basically lets you take the rest of your money off the table.

Zetack
07-14-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Far more money is won by cheaters who abuse this than is saved by honest players. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

My beef is with not being able to have DP for all the tables I'm playing. Really sucks to only have one DP and get disconnected while involved in pots on 3 tables.

To another poster, I don't see what's significant about somebody coming back 2 hands after a disconnect. I come back as soon as I get reconnected.

--Zetack

HRFats
07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
So basically if they have a decent hand but not the nutz they can disconnect and win the pot if they have the best hand? Do they win the whole pot - even the amounts bet after they got disconnected? Jeeze - what a scam. Disconnect rather than fold and there is no downside...

witeknite
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
When you disconnect, you are treated as all-in. You can't win any additional bets that go in, but it gets rid of reverse implied odds.

As to the question posed by the OP, I can count on one hand the number of times I've see someone disconnect. Unfortunatly I play on a dial-up link part the time. Disconnect portection has saved me numerous times.

WiteKnite

Phishy McFish
07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
And you realize you haven't done the "honey-do list" that you PROMISED to have done......and are on your laptop and are on the river of a PLO hand with a $400 pot, you have the nut flush draw and are required to call a 40 bet to see the river on an unpaired board........so you try to close the laptop enough as to not show you are playing poker and neglecting your share of the home duties but to still allow the hand to continue. You unfortunately disconnect as the laptop hibernates, the 3rd /images/graemlins/heart.gif comes, you make your flush and have min. $450 coming with no calls on the riv.......but the screen isn't updating......maybe if it checks around you still win.........checking hand histotry............@*&#^@*(&#^@*(#&^(@#&*^ /images/graemlins/mad.gif HERO bets X mucks Ace high flush loses X.....LUCKY ASS VILLIAN shows K high flush and wins 3X NET 2X.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What I wouldn't have given for the protection.......like a 16 year old a month after prom when the phone rings and his girlfriend is late.

Artsemis
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Dont 'refill' DP's so often. Many sites are a week tops before you get your DP's back. It should be something more along the lines of 3 / month or even 10 / year. If you get disconnected more than that, im sorry, but you shouldn't be playing cash games online.

iceman5
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you disconnect, you are treated as all-in. You can't win any additional bets that go in, but it gets rid of reverse implied odds.

As to the question posed by the OP, I can count on one hand the number of times I've see someone disconnect. Unfortunatly I play on a dial-up link part the time. Disconnect portection has saved me numerous times.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you dont play NL at Party very often because I see it all the time. Its amazing how when they disconnect and are faced with big bet or raise, they almost always have a flush draw. Its amazing how these guys who always claim to be on dialup and its not their fualt...never have a set when they disconnect. I wonder why that is.

StellarWind
07-16-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Far more money is won by cheaters who abuse this than is saved by honest players. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's important to distinguish between limit and no-limit. Abuse at limit is almost a non-problem in my experience but the protection offered is very valuable.

TheNoodleMan
07-16-2005, 04:36 PM
you guys are making it out to be a much bigger problem than it really is. Yes, it is abused sometimes, but when it is, just notify support. You may or may not get the money back, but you will definitely have their account flagged and they won't be able to do it again.

Freudian
07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
I can see how it is a big problem in NL. In limit I don't particularly mind it.

otctrader
07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
It should be eliminated UNLESS the sites choose to police it which they don't. While Party will look into it and revoke DP's in a case of flagrant abuse, it's just a slap on the wrist to a guy who saved several hundred bucks by avoiding a showdown. They should have policies which include mandatory pot forfeiture and/or punitive damages if abused. At least threaten this for pattern abusers - they would think twice.

Otherwise do away all together, and in lieu of DP's people should be issued a quota of extended timeouts to get a backup connection fired up (I personally think playing high limits without redundant DSL/Cable or at least dialup is suicide). This won't happen of course since the sites only care about maximum rake generation. My 2c

Shoe
07-16-2005, 05:12 PM
There are sites out there (paradise i think is one), that do not have any disconnect protection on any of their tables.

Nietzsche
07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
That statement is true. And Party does too little to strike down on those who abuse it again and again.

Maddenboy
08-14-2005, 06:47 AM
E-mail reply from Party about a guy who abused DP against me in 15/30 limit. Flush draw, of course. I won the hand, so I didnt request my money back.

I told PP not only what happened, but that i wanted to know SPECIFICALLY what, if anything, they did about it.

Subject: Disconnect Protection Investigation Report

> Dear [player],
>
> We appreciate you taking the time to report situations of alleged disconnect protection abuse at
PartyPoker.com.

> Starting with the hand histories (or hand #s) that you sent to us, we performed an investigation
that would allow us to examine thoroughly the account in question: "[nickname]".

> We have looked into the players records and collected all previous hands in which this player
used the protection. Our goal was to look for a pattern where the player usually disconnects in key
moments.

> Some of the parameters we use when investigating possible protection abuse:
> o The player's cards at the time of disconnection.
> o The player's previous action (whether he was betting/raising) and also the actions of the
other players at the time of disconnection.
> o The benefit obtained by a player disconnecting.
> o The timing of disconnection.
> o A player's pattern of disconnections.
> o Previous allegations made by other players and/or the system.
>
> Using the information listed above we have investigated the history of the player thoroughly and
have found that not only was the hand you reported suspicious but this player has shown a pattern
of suspicious disconnects in the past. Based on this information we have taken away the disconnect
protection privilege for this player. In the event he is disconnected in the future his hand will
be folded. We have sent an email to the player informing him of the investigation.

> We thank you for taking the time to report your suspicions. Keeping the games honest is our
highest priority. If you need any clarifications or have any questions or concerns please feel free to
contact us. We will be more than happy to assist you.

> Best Regards,
> madhavip
> Investigations Team for Poker

stripsqueez
08-14-2005, 08:55 PM
i think disconnect protect is a good thing - its obvious to any player that playing on-line you will eventually have some sort of drama that causes you to innocently disconnect

its obvious to a serious player that you can use disconnect protect in an unethical way

rather than have no disconnect protection which in effect is a rule that assumes all people cheat i would prefer to cater for all players

if dodgy disconnects are reported to the sites it should be easy for the sites to take appropriate action (ie it would be simple to spot the unethical players) - i think its bad that the sites dont take responsibility for the dodgy players and take the stupid soft option of not allowing disconnect protection

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

pokerjoker
08-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Whenever i see someone disconect at a very opportune time i report them. I figure they can do it maybe 3 times before the website catches on does something...I suppose I am having a lot of faith in party poker for giving a [censored] though...DP still legitly saved me a bit of money and I would say it is probably +EV unless you absolutely never Disc.

beernutz
08-14-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are making it out to be a much bigger problem than it really is. Yes, it is abused sometimes, but when it is, just notify support. You may or may not get the money back, but you will definitely have their account flagged and they won't be able to do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horse. [censored].

08-16-2005, 02:04 AM
I rely on DP - I play online using my notebook computer with a wireless network in my home, and about 1/3 the time my phone rings, I lose the wireless connection. I have a 2400 ghz wireless, which I understand conflicts with my Linksys wireless network, but I recently purchased, and returned, a 5.8 ghz phone since it still interfered with my network.

I'd love to have a l/t solution to this problem, but when I'm disconnected, it's because my connection is kaput, not because I have a hand I'd rather not play.

Cheers, Carl.

octop
08-16-2005, 05:28 AM
It should not be allowed
In a year I have tried to use DP once
I had 77 the flop was 7 10 10 in 100 NL on party
The maniac goes all in on the turn and my laptop battery died
Fine my fault but I think I should have gotten what was in the pot already
I [censored] myself out of the rest of his stack and thats my fault
Basically if I had kicked out my cable wire I would have won the hand
When I emailed party they said it wasnt a disconnected internet blah blah blah
Yet I have been involved in about 30 hands this yr where the DP was obvious and nothing was done about it
I think the reward outways the risk if I DQ in 1 or 2 hands a year i can live with that as long as flush chasing donkeys can't suck out on me for free