PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 SH, AQ with uncomfortable river

marand
07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
BB is loose and passive.
MP is loose and passive.
Button is a TAG.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP folds, Button folds.

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Preflop: standard for me.
Flop: I thought Button would autobet, this is also standard for me.
Turn: Since Button did not bet the flop I am guessing he has a big pocket pair, BB is very likely to have an Ace with a weaker kicker. I just called to try to gain another bet from the button.
River: My raise is for value, but when I get 3-bet I think I am almost never good here. But I felt I couldn't fold getting 13-1 odds on the river.

This hand bugs me, but I don't know how else I should have played it.

Thoughts?

Lost Wages
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Raise the turn, there are 2 flush draws. Going for overcalls is a really bad idea. You are never good on the river against a passive player. Never folding here is a leak.

Lost Wages

marand
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn, there are 2 flush draws. Going for overcalls is a really bad idea. You are never good on the river against a passive player. Never folding here is a leak.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I should probably raise the turn. If you get 3-bet by the passive player on the turn how would you play the hand?

I never fold on the river when it's HU and I am getting about 10-1 and I have top pair or better. I guess it could be a leak against a passive and predictable player.

Lost Wages
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get 3-bet by the passive player on the turn how would you play the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call and fold the river unless you improve which includes the board pairing.

Lost Wages

aslowjoe
07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
With just the 3better in the pot I will check to him but in this case I think our postion is best used by betting out. MP might call 1, TAG raises forcing BB to call 2 I reraise possibly get MP to fold his weak A or pocket pair.

I would be more inclined to think button had KQs rather then a high PP. High pp has to be betting the flop.

Jeffage
07-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Bet this flop and your life will be easier.

Jeff

Womble
07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet this flop and your life will be easier.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here, button is in the awkward position in that he is in the middle of your opponents. Your check-raise will only let one person face 2 bets but betting and then hoping your opponent raises does the same. Also, this eliminates the risk of giving free cards and also will give you an idea of where you are

Turn, def raise this. Probably a flsuh draw in there since you have a caller. Will make river easier

marand
07-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Villian had A9 and MHING.

I agree with most of you that I misplayed this hand.
I must raise the turn, going for overcalls here is terrible.

Jeffage
07-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Actually not betting the flop is worse. Look at your position compared to the preflop raiser. Once you screwed up on the flop, I agree that the turn raise is a no brainer.

Jeff

marand
07-14-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually not betting the flop is worse. Look at your position compared to the preflop raiser. Once you screwed up on the flop, I agree that the turn raise is a no brainer.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the PFR is likely to have AA-99, AK-AQ. I raised UTG and got called by a fish so he is not reraising light.
Hand combinations

AK 8
AQ 6
AA 1
KK 6
QQ 3
JJ 6
TT 6
99 3

I am behind to 12 combinations and ahead of 21 combinations so I am happy with the flop. I probably either have 3 outs or PFR has 2 outs. I will not be able to get away from the hand unless there is great between PFR and a fish. If I bet out he might just fold some of his hands with just 2 outs.

My position compared to the PFR. Me, Fish, PFR, Fish
If I bet out or PFR bets both means that 1 Fish will get a chance to call before the other TAG makes his move.

How would your action differ if the position had been
ME, Fish, Fish, PFR or
ME, PFR, Fish, Fish compared to
ME, Fish, PFR, Fish ?

Jeffage
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
You're not thinking about what's important. First, you're not just playing against the preflop 3-bettor...there are other players in the hand. Knocking them out is fine, esp. with the flush draw out. When you checkraise, you build a bigger pot b/c people who call the button's flop bet are not folding for one more. Thus people now have better odds to suck out on you. Also, you will get action from the button (and others) if they have a worse ace. You also might have the button raise you if they have something like KK whereas if you checkraise the flop, they will know EXACTLY what to put you on. I prefer my opponents don't have the ability to play perfectly against me. Also, the hand just plays easier the whole way betting the flop. It is the optimal and most profitable line. Note that if you were say, the small blind on this hand...checkraising would be far superior on the flop so you can confront those in the middle with a two bet decision.

Ok, now I have to actually get back to work.

Jeff