PDA

View Full Version : Inflation

MargieX
02-18-2003, 11:33 AM
So far as I've been playing poker now I realize that those occasions where I loose much of the money that I've already won before are these where a kind of "inflation of good hands" takes place. Let me explain you what I mean: I guess that approx. 50% of the time when I play my mediocre to good hands (beginning with top pair, high kicker) I win most of the time -> I win often when "I should expect to win". Then there's approx. 25% of the time where I simply don't get anything already preflop or with the flop. Also not a big problem here because early folding is the decision then quite often. But what about the rest let's say perhaps 25-20 % of the playing time? There something takes place what I would call inflation of good hands. I mean there I loose often with a straight against a better straight, with trips agaist a flush, with pocket AA and flop Axx against a straight and so on. It often seems on that occasions that above than average people get here above than average frequently above than average good hands. What would you recommend to do in this phase of the game? To tighten up, I mean to play a straight as careful as you would normally play a top or second top pair, to play pocket AA; KK much more carefully than normally? I have the feeling that in this period I loose too much money, but on the other hand who would always simply fold with great hands like straights and so on.

I'm looking forward to your answers.

FletchJr.
02-18-2003, 11:49 AM
I'd have to say try to play your optimal game in every situation that you play.
As a result of losing a few in a row your oponents may put you on tilt and may poke at you a little more. I think even though your on a bad run, according to the fundamental theorem of poker, you should try to put the most amount of money as you can when you think you are getting the best of it.
Another words, try to put egos and state of minds aside and try to play the best possible way you can.

pudley4
02-18-2003, 12:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But what about the rest let's say perhaps 25-20 % of the playing time...I loose often with a straight against a better straight, with trips agaist a flush, with pocket AA and flop Axx against a straight and so on

[/ QUOTE ]

These situations happen nowhere near 20% of the time in the long run.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What would you recommend to do in this phase of the game? To tighten up, I mean to play a straight as careful as you would normally play a top or second top pair, to play pocket AA; KK much more carefully than normally? I have the feeling that in this period I loose too much money,

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Do not start playing "weak-tight". In the long run you'll be up against worse hands much more often than you'll be up against a better hand.

There are times where you can slow down with a set (like if there is a 4-straight on board) or a straight (like if there is a 4-straight on board and you have the idiot end; or if there is a 4-flush on board), but for the most part when you have big hands like these, keep pounding away.

Forsaken
02-18-2003, 01:29 PM
I have a tendency to tilt when I'm taking a beat holding good cards.

Just try to think about making the right decision and the long run. Try to disregard the result of the actual hand.

Not easy, I can't do it yet /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ed Miller
02-18-2003, 06:33 PM
What would you recommend to do in this phase of the game?

Hate to say it, but there is no such phase. Do you think the cards plan your demise?