PDA

View Full Version : AK too weak ?

fuzzbox
07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
PP 400 PL - 6-max
Hero 400 CO (A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif)
Villain SB 800

One limper to hero, who raises to 18(full pot). Villain calls from the SB, all else fold.

Pot (42)
Flop A/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/heart.gif
villain checks, hero bets 35, villain calls

Pot (112)
Turn 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif (bah humbug)
Villain checks, hero checks

Pot (112)
River 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain bets 40, hero calls.

Anybody play this stronger anywhere ?

jkkkk
07-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Bet the turn.

Marlow
07-14-2005, 09:22 AM
What were the stack sizes? Any reads on Villian?

In a vacumm, I usually bet the turn just in case he has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I think you lose money and open the door for a suckout by not betting the turn.

jhall23
07-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Do you think this opponent is capable of bluff raising the turn?

If not then I think you can safely value bet the turn. He could easily have a weaker Ace here as well and if he raises you can safely let it go. If you did that and are called I'd probably check behind on most rivers unless opponent calls too much.

If he is ultra bluff happy you might actually want to bet the turn to induce a raise.

In between it's a little trickier I think. By checking here you risk the free heart to drop but can induce a bluff or a bet from a weaker hand that would have folded the turn.

Maulik
07-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm reading Theory of Poker right now. I bet this turn in position for two reasons.

a) I'm not sure what my action is if another /images/graemlins/heart.gif falls.
b) I'm not willing to give him infinite odds.
c) the pot is already large

discuss.

swolfe
07-14-2005, 01:15 PM
looks pretty perfect to me. you're either pretty well ahead of another ace, reverse dominated by A3/A7, or behind a flush draw and drawing to a double-paired board or K. turn check is a MUST.

you have to call the river bet because you may have induced a bluff from the A hands that you're beating, but i expect to see the flush a good percentage of the time.

EDIT: and again, i don't like bloating the pot with an obvious hand. to everyone saying bet the turn, what are you going to do if he check-raises? if you'd consider folding to a check-raise then checking behind is the only correct action. EDIT2: this is especially correct because this is pot limit.

fuzzbox
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Hero tabled AJo and I MHIG.

I checked the turn because I didnt feel I could stand a check-raise. I wasnt sure if he had an Ace or a heart, and I wasnt sure if he would check raise with both of these hands or not. Obviously I can call the river.

I see there are mixed suggestions on what to do in this spot.

amoeba
07-14-2005, 04:21 PM
I find this hand played perfectly and I disagree vehemently with those that say bet the turn.

I would hate to bet 50 on the turn, get it called, then have him bet 90 to 120 on the river.