PDA

View Full Version : A9, strange line from opponent

The Deuce
07-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Converter isn't working. PP $200 6 max.

Forgot the stack sizes. Hero has about $200, Villain about $180.

Dealt to Hero 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Everyone limps, SB completes, BB checks. Six players to the flop.

Flop ($12) 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked to Hero, Hero bets $8. Folded to Villain, who raises to $24. Hero calls $16.

Turn ($60) 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain checks. Hero checks.

River($60) Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
Villain bets $35. Hero calls.

No particularly helpful reads. Comments on all streets welcome; I'm interested to see what people put Villain on and why.

xorbie
07-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Why did you see a flop here, unless you were BB? Which leads me to my next question, why did you bet this flop? Which leads me to my next question, why did you call the raise?

AllIn3High
07-14-2005, 07:42 AM
A5 would have sense

The Deuce
07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
I was on the button. This was a six max, I forgot to mention that. If you think A9 on the button is an insta-fold preflop, well I disagree, different strokes for different folks. Why in god's name would I check this flop? I don't want to discuss my reasoning for calling the raise until I get a few more responses (or maybe if I get none.)

kongo_totte
07-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Fold pre-flop. Fold to flop raise. Fold river.

xorbie
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
A9 is a good hand to open raise from CO/button. It's a bad hand to raise 3 limpers with because odds are you're beat. Once I see that flop, I check to try to get action from second best hands on later streets because (a) anything that calls me (except a draw of some sort, which would be odd) has me beat and (b) I have no need to protect my hand because I have TP.

The Deuce
07-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Huh? I didn't raise three limpers preflop- there were 6 limpers, including me. Call me crazy, but I think the board is draw heavy enough to rule out giving a free card in the hopes of trapping one of my five opponents with a relatively weak holding. I really don't understand your logic here. Why would a draw be odd? I think you misread the hand.

On a sidenote, if I was feeling frisky I might well raise on the button at a tight table to steal the limps, but that's a different issue entirely.

xorbie
07-14-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would a draw be odd? I think you misread the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just misremembered and got confused with a different post. Thought it was A/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for some reason.

In that case I dislike your bet less. Still, if you look at your equity vs. calling hands, I can't imagine it's too great.