PDA

View Full Version : poker calculator

jake-free
02-18-2003, 09:29 AM
www.poker-pal.com
a poker calculator provides the winning odds on any texas holdem. enter your cards as they are delt and poker-pal will tell you the odds of winning and suggest the correct play. did anyone tried it? is it any good?

RockLobster
02-18-2003, 04:57 PM
From the web page you listed:

Consider a game of Texas Hold'Em. You have been dealt two hearts in the hole and two more hearts appear on the flop. There's $50 in the pot - $20 of which is yours. Should you spend the extra money and try for the flush or would this be a bad bet? Poker Pal will tell you!

This is so flawed. Anyone here will tell you that you NEVER consider the money that you've put into the pot when deciding on your next move. Never.

However, to be ethical, we only authorize use of the software for non-profit purposes.

I suspect that anyone who relies on this will certainly be in non-profit mode. No worries here.

Additionally, Poker Pal will not tell you when your opponents are bluffing, how much to raise or what cards you'll be dealt next. Poker Pal should be used in conjunction with your existing Poker skills.

Dang, I could use a product that does these things. I'd even pay for one.

Seriously, you're better off to study up a bit and learn the odds of the common scenarios. Mike Caro lists them at this sight:

Mike Caro University (http://www.planetpoker.com/mcu/) (click on the left column "mcu library", then poker "odds & statistics")