PDA

View Full Version : How to extract the maximum amount of bets??

EricW
07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
I've been struggling on how to get the most bets from players in the 10$ sit n gos at Party.

For example, I had 1010 and I limped in from EP in the early round and had 4 callers. I flopped quads. Everyone checked and the guy who had position bets like 45. So naturally, I just call. An Ace comes up on the turn and he bets a little larger this time. I min raise here. He just calls. On the river, I bet 1/3 the pot hoping to get a call but he folds.

I think I tend to over-slow play myself. I think that any player with a mind would be suspicious of smooth calls. When you flop the nuts, or say trips and someone bets into you, what's the best way to go about? Raise more? I'm afraid that might scare them away. Min raise to make it seem like you're making a pathetic attempt at buying the pot? I mean maybe they're just fishing but would be bet out of of the pot with anything stronger.

Opinions please!

lastchance
07-14-2005, 06:49 AM
He probably hit his ace. Take his chips, raise more than the minimum, way more. Make it 2/3 pot or something. Standard raise.

Every time you make a bet, make it at least 1/2 pot. Minbets/minraises just don't get a lot of value on the street you want 'em on.

EricW
07-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Ya i've been studying where I'm going wrong and I think I'm betting or raising too little on forth street.

It's a lot trickier if you're first to act though. Say you're on 4th street with a set and you've smooth called on the flop. What's your play? I mean there aren't any "rules" but when you're playing bums on the 10's, they don't exactly think on higher levels. If I'm first to act on the turn, I'm worried that a bet 2/3 of the pot will scare him/her off. If I check, it sucks if he doesn't bet. It's so frustrating for me because the chance is there to double up but I think that I'm out thinking myself.