PDA

View Full Version : Dumb river bet in monster pot?

Peter
02-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Online 2/4 game.

First two fold, next calls, person after that raises, poster who calls, one cold caller, SB folds and I call in BB with K10 offsuit. 5 players to the flop.

Flop: Qc,Jh,9s

Checked to preflop raiser who bets, next guy raises, folded to me, I three bet, EP coldcalls three, preflop raiser calls, next guy caps and we all call.
Four to the turn.

Turn: 3s

I bet, next two call, last guy raises, I reraise and all call. Still four to the river.

River: 3h

I bet, next guy folds, preflopraiser raises, last guy calls all-in and I call.

On the turn I figured the person who raised the turn to have the same hand as me and the other two on a set or two pair maybe even a straight draw with a pair. Considering this, should I have bet the river?
If I hadn't, I'm sure preflopraiser would have bet and the other would have raised to six dollars (all-in). What should I do then? And what if the third guy wasn't all-in but reraised. Should I have folded? The pot ended up being $117, the biggest pot I have seen in 2/4.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Casey
02-18-2003, 09:52 AM
I would have bet it. Your behind to a full, but their a lot of hands that you are ahead of. AA and KK probaly liked that 3 on the end, they will still call and maybe raise.
As I have been told over and over on these forums by some very good players, you don't have to be ahead all of the time to make this a positive value bet.

davidross
02-18-2003, 11:24 AM
I think you have to bet this river. I think there is a good chance the pre-flop raiser has AA or KK and thinks you just got counterfeited with your QJ. The almost all-in guy could have anything. Even if you lose this half the time, with two opponents that’s +EV.

Be careful calling legitimate raises with KT form the BB. This flop obviously was perfect, but both your K and T will be suspect if you make a pair with them in this kind of hand.

Jeffage
02-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Fold preflop...you are dominated by a great deal of hands that would legitimately raise a limper (notice this was not a steal raise). These calls lose money pre in general. Otherwise, well played. You got in tons of money with the nuts...if you get rivered, you get rivered. Pay off a raise.

Jeff

marbles
02-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Hate the preflop call. Dislike the flop check, but not as much as the preflop call. Everything else looks fine. Yes, you should certainly bet that river and call the raise.

pudley4
02-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I would bet the river and call any bets coming back. LP looks to have the same hand as you (but he might have T8).

If PFR did have QQ or JJ, he saved you money by raising. He should have called, letting LG raise to 6 all-in. You would have reraised, and then he could cap it.

Peter
02-18-2003, 02:07 PM
PFR had QQ and LP had 99. I didn't expect that hand from LP.

Thanks for the comments.

Peter

SoBeDude
02-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Funny how the same thing happened to me a little while ago.

I flopped the nut straight, only to come in 3rd to two houses.

frustrating, isn't it?

-Scott