PDA

View Full Version : Fooling an application into using data on another drive.

Jeff W
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
I want to fool pokertracker into using hddb.mdb on my second hard drive instead of in the same folder as it normally resides(I like to keep data and applications on separate drives). How do I do that?

Thanks.

MyMindIsGoing
07-14-2005, 05:08 AM
You don't need to fool it at all:

1. run regedit
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBC.INI/PTRACKHH
3. doubleclick on DBQ
4. replace the path with the path you want
5. close regedit
6. move the hand history file
7. run PT

JoePro
07-14-2005, 07:12 AM
If you don't wanna mess with the registry, go to Control panel\Administrative tools\Data Sources (ODBC) and configure the poker tracker DSN's from there.

MyMindIsGoing
07-14-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't wanna mess with the registry, go to Control panel\Administrative tools\Data Sources (ODBC) and configure the poker tracker DSN's from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why people are so afraid to "mess" with the registry, same thing with the BIOS settings. You might actually learn something while you do it and that can't be a bad thing can it? If people are afraid of their computers, why do they even use them?

JoePro
07-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Configuring ODBC DSN's is much easier using the control panel applet. I figured since the OP needed help with this, he'd probably feel more comfortable not playing around in his registry.

MyMindIsGoing
07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
What is this "mess" and "playing around"? It is a good efficient way to do it. By only doing the easiest thing you will never reach the next level. If my "help" is not good enough I might as well stop to answer...

JoePro
07-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Hold on a minute. Where are you getting that from? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was simply stating there was an easier way for him to do it, IN CASE he didn't feel like modifying his registry manually. Some people really don't want to take a chance with their registry and I understand that. I just provided an alternate way of doing what the OP had asked for.

Props to you for answering first and no hard feelings.

mosta
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I think people are scared of editing the registry for reasons such as that (if I'm not mistaken) microsoft refuses to provide any warranty or support if you try to tinker with the registry manually. most technical guides I've seen always start with the warning: think twice before touching the registry, one small misstep and you are irretrievably doomed. (not to say that I'm not interested in learning or haven't dabbled a little myself...)

MyMindIsGoing
07-14-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are scared of editing the registry for reasons such as that (if I'm not mistaken) microsoft refuses to provide any warranty or support if you try to tinker with the registry manually. most technical guides I've seen always start with the warning: think twice before touching the registry, one small misstep and you are irretrievably doomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

They scare people away from it to make less work from themselves. People should play around more testing things out and LEARN. I could have given the guy a regpatch to just download and double click, but I wont do that. Best way to learn others is to learn them how to learn more themselves. Almost everything I know I learned by doing, not by not doing it or taking the easy road. Follow the guide and it will work. I can't see why anyone afraid to do things with their computer would want one. Would you buy a car and not drive it beacuse it CAN kill you?

Jeff W
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I'll try this out tonight.

Hoopster81
07-14-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They scare people away from it to make less work from themselves. People should play around more testing things out and LEARN.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100% How is the multi-tabling going btw?

MyMindIsGoing
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They scare people away from it to make less work from themselves. People should play around more testing things out and LEARN.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100% How is the multi-tabling going btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast I am making money (by playing at lower level when I dual table, just to learn)... I switched to shorthanded play though and went up to 0.5/1.0 for my standard game now. So far shorthaned 0.5/1.0 PL hold'em is what has earned me most money so far per hour. I have had thoughts about switching to NL (prolly alot easier to find a good table), but I hate the preflop play in NL. I can also see now why playing shorthanded is so popular. Suits my style of play (PT autorates me as an ultra agressor) good. Laying pretty low right now though with my play, I am too sick to play (don't want to tilt alot of hard earned cash away). Maybe some day I might be able to quad table too /images/graemlins/wink.gif