PDA

View Full Version : big blind blues?

davet
07-14-2005, 04:09 AM
I hate to admit it, but I am really bad in the big blind. Anyway, I wanted to ask how bad of a flub this one is.

Sorry for no color or icons, dosn't seem to work on this computer.

hero has Q3 club in BB.

Every one limps 9SB

Board is Q spade, 6 spade, 9 club.

Hero bets (protecting my hand), every one calls 18SB

8 hearts.

Hero bets (hoping to induce folds.) EP and SB call. 11BB.

8 diamonds.

SB bets. Hero folds. EP raises, SB reraises, EP calls.

SB M.O.- absolute maniac... philosophy is raise or raise; thrive on agitation he creates.

EP M.O.- Played him several times. Plays any suited, connected, or high cards. Calling station flop, but somehow efective turn and river, very susectable to chasing cards. Not on my Top Ten List, but always love to play him none- the- less.

I put him on chasing a flush, but the two eights scared me.

Showdown: EP- A5 spades. SB- 5 hearts, 3 diamonds.

How bad did I play this one?

kross
07-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Leading the flop does not protect your hand. They actually have proper odds to call with any gutshot or pair to try to spike two pair/trips.

Check the flop. If someone bets from late position, raise, facing the field with calling two cold. This does a much better job of protecting your hand. They may still call, but they're not getting the proper odds, therefore they are making a mistake. Their mistakes mean money in your pocket, in the long run, even if it isn't this hand.

sy_or_bust
07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Your problems are postflop. Leading the flop is no good because it doesn't protect your hand, as above. In general, most weak/mediocre (but playable) made hands should be checked from the blinds when you have many opponents. You are looking for a chance to protect your hand with a raise - when this is not possible you will often check and call the flop.

No reason to fold to a maniac's river lead. This is often a bluff, and a perfect time to raise.

DrewOnTilt
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I hate to admit it, but I am really bad in the big blind. Anyway, I wanted to ask how bad of a flub this one is.

Sorry for no color or icons, dosn't seem to work on this computer.

hero has Q3 club in BB.

Every one limps 9SB

Board is Q spade, 6 spade, 9 club.

Hero bets (protecting my hand), every one calls 18SB

8 hearts.

Hero bets (hoping to induce folds.) EP and SB call. 11BB.

8 diamonds.

SB bets. Hero folds. EP raises, SB reraises, EP calls.

SB M.O.- absolute maniac... philosophy is raise or raise; thrive on agitation he creates.

EP M.O.- Played him several times. Plays any suited, connected, or high cards. Calling station flop, but somehow efective turn and river, very susectable to chasing cards. Not on my Top Ten List, but always love to play him none- the- less.

I put him on chasing a flush, but the two eights scared me.

Showdown: EP- A5 spades. SB- 5 hearts, 3 diamonds.

How bad did I play this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your read is correct then you have to call this river bet. Don't expect to win it often with your crap kicker, but long run it should be a +EV play.

W. Deranged
07-14-2005, 12:52 PM
A river raise with your top pair against the maniac bluffer here is an excellent expert play. You may well promote your top pair to a winner against someone playing a better kicker with their Q.