PDA

View Full Version : 8877 middle set hand

joewatch
07-14-2005, 03:45 AM
My most interesting hand of the night - what's your play?

Villain is a solid tight-aggressive player

$100 PL Omaha Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Villain ( $95.30 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $100.85 )

Dealt to Hero [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
UTG calls [$1], 3 folds, Villain calls [$1], Hero raises [$5.50], Blinds fold, UTG folds, Villain calls [$4.50].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Vilain checks, Hero bets [$12.85], Villain raises [$51.40].
Hero ???

aceferret
07-14-2005, 04:00 AM
In a limped pot you may be able to get away from it.
Since you raised preflop I would reraise. Your opponent is likely putting you on aaxx. The villian could have an open str8, flush draw, two pair, bottom set or even aaxx himself.
I reraise and gladly pay off jjj

TheRempel
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
It's all in or fold on the flop. You're a favorite (not necessarily a big one) against anything but JJ. You're a small favorite over even the biggest draw (something like 79TQ with two diamonds). I'd be inclined to get it all in on the flop HU. Even a tight aggressive player will have a wide range of hands that he could be reraising with here.

aceferret
07-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Illustration of a check raise w a pretty weak hand...but it was raised preflop so i thought i was in the lead w bottom 2. It would obviously have been a huge mistake for villian to fold middle set.

***** Hand History for Game 2363245638 *****
$2000 PL Omaha
Table Table 51978 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Seat 10: villian ( $6123 )

Seat 7: ACEFERRET ( $1920 )
sb posts small blind [$10].
bb posts big blind [$20].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ACEFERRET [ 4s 3d 6s 2d ]
markvr folds.
dbw99 folds.
rautu folds.
ACEFERRET calls [$20].
villian raises [$90].
ACEFERRET calls [$70].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9h, 3h, 6c ]
ACEFERRET checks.
villian bets [$207].
ACEFERRET raises [$828].
mahmouda folds.
ACEFERRET does not show cards.
ACEFERRET wins $1242

flawless_victory
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Illustration of a check raise w a pretty weak hand...but it was raised preflop so i thought i was in the lead w bottom 2. It would obviously have been a huge mistake for villian to fold middle set.

***** Hand History for Game 2363245638 *****
$2000 PL Omaha
Table Table 51978 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Seat 10: villian ( $6123 )

Seat 7: ACEFERRET ( $1920 )
sb posts small blind [$10].
bb posts big blind [$20].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ACEFERRET [ 4s 3d 6s 2d ]
markvr folds.
dbw99 folds.
rautu folds.
ACEFERRET calls [$20].
villian raises [$90].
ACEFERRET calls [$70].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9h, 3h, 6c ]
ACEFERRET checks.
villian bets [$207].
ACEFERRET raises [$828].
mahmouda folds.
ACEFERRET does not show cards.
ACEFERRET wins $1242

[/ QUOTE ]why would you play this horrpible hand PF? are you calling off the rest of money on flop (yes id assume)??

aceferret
07-14-2005, 05:33 PM
2346 double suited against one person that I know only raises w aaxx is not the worst of plays. I know he his potting it on flop no matter what hits so I'm getting three to one on my money.
I was also in the cutoff and figured I could pick up the pot on the flop when it is checked to me. But that all changed when I was faced with a new decision to call 70 to possibly make 2k.
The point of the post was not to advocate playing a semi weak hand. The point was that I could never fold second set as a preflop raiser to a check raise.

aceferret
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
cardplayer has it preflop at 45 - 55

BluffTHIS!
07-14-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a limped pot you may be able to get away from it.
Since you raised preflop I would reraise. Your opponent is likely putting you on aaxx. The villian could have an open str8, flush draw, two pair, bottom set or even aaxx himself.
I reraise and gladly pay off jjj

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct unless you are dealing with a total rock who always checks top set to the preflop raiser. With this big of a drawing board a good player as well as a bad one is going to try to push someone off of AA by a checkraise with a draw. Merely calling rather than reraising is also an option to see if a draw completes on the turn and gauge villain's reaction to it before committing the other half of your stack.

joewatch
07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey, glad to see you guys know what you are talking about!

$100 PL Omaha Seat 2 is the button
Seat 1: Villain ( $95.30 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $100.85 )

Dealt to Hero [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
UTG calls [$1], 3 folds, Villain calls [$1], Hero raises [$5.50], Blinds fold, UTG folds, Villain calls [$4.50].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Vilain checks, Hero bets [$12.85], Villain raises [$51.40].
Hero raises [$77.10].
Villain calls all-In.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

** Dealing River ** [ A /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
Hero shows [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] three of a kind, eights.
Villain doesn't show [ K /images/graemlins/club.gif, T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] a pair of kings.

Hero wins $0.15 from side pot #1 with three of a kind, eights.
Hero wins $190.10 from the main pot with three of a kind, eights.

Not a horrible play by villain as he had 10-outs, but still a 35% dog. He pot-committed himself by raising me and was forced to call my reraise.

adam74
07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is correct unless you are dealing with a total rock who always checks top set to the preflop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does always checking top-set to the preflop raiser make someone a total rock? Wouldn't this be a pretty standard move, particularly on-line where the stacks aren't so deep?

BluffTHIS!
07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
I meant that comment to indicate someone who was *both* a rock and also who habitually checked top set, not as a criticism of checking top set in certain situations.