PDA

View Full Version : Did I butcher this defense?

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Party 30/60 6-max, 6 handed

Villian's numbers are

47/24/1.00, 50% WTSD

He calls down any pair or A high. He instabets either bluffs or no-think made hands (already-made flush). He also steals with a wide range.

Anyway, he was in the CO and openraised.

Hero is BB with
A/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero 3-bets. Villian calls.
Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, Villian insta-bets, Hero calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero checks, Villian bets, Hero calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero checks, Villian bets, Hero raises, Villian 3-bets...

I really hated this one afterward, so please tear it apart..

NLSoldier
07-14-2005, 04:45 AM
I'd bet the flop and call down if raised. No need to get fancy on this one.

surfdoc
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
I think the maximum number of bets you want on the river here is 2. This is a way ahead, way behind scenario. You are chopping a lot with that K on board so nothing wrong with check calling all the way or the 2+2 standard check call check call bet and call a raise line. River CR is a problem though because you are now in a tough spot.

fsuplayer
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how bout a lead flop and CR the turn line against this guy?

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the maximum number of bets you want on the river here is 2. This is a way ahead, way behind scenario. You are chopping a lot with that K on board so nothing wrong with check calling all the way or the 2+2 standard check call check call bet and call a raise line. River CR is a problem though because you are now in a tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya.. my thinking at that particular moment was that the king actually made me pretty safe. His manner of betting had me put him on either a very good hand or a total bluff. So if I was behind, this greatly increased my chance of chopping. If he was on air, I didn't see him raising a donkbet on the river. So I CRed.. And of course, if he was on a weak ace, no harm done.
Of course, I guess he could've had an 8 as well, but just by percentages, having seen him instabet and continue with nothing, it seemed unlikely.
Thoughts on this before results?

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how bout a lead flop and CR the turn line against this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

My reason for not doing either of these was that he would generally fold with nothing if bet into. His high showdown percentage was mostly from bluffing all the way or calling down with any pair.

hockey1
07-14-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
50% WTSD

[/ QUOTE ]

This number isn't just window dressing, it's important for a reason. Re-evaluate both your preflop and river play in light of it.

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
50% WTSD

[/ QUOTE ]

This number isn't just window dressing, it's important for a reason. Re-evaluate both your preflop and river play in light of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but let me try. He sees 50% of showdowns because he calls down every time he catches a pair or ace high, and will also bluff all the way with nothing if his opponent seems weak. Keep in mind this is shorthanded.
Now as I write this, I'm realizing that that means my A9 won't win a showdown unimproved. However. If I miss the flop, I can bet, and there's a very good chance he'll fold. If he doesn't, I can be fairly certain he has a pair or an ace, and check/fold UI on the turn. If I catch an ace and he catches a pair, he'll likely call me right down.
(The reason I didn't take that line is because of the unliklihood that he caught a pair on this flop.)

So I really don't see anything wrong with the preflop play. Please do point it out though - I don't claim to be an expert.

On the river.. the high WTSD means that he's calling me. Which is exactly what I want.. so again, I don't get it..