PDA

View Full Version : Weighing the Odds...Any leads on where to buy now?

oscark
07-14-2005, 12:56 AM
So I ordered the book two days ago from Walmart.com when it was listed as being able to ship now, only to be emailed the next day that it was instead on backorder. Any idea on where to buy it now, preferably at a discount, other than bj21.com?

Thanks,

Oscar

Davey
07-14-2005, 01:55 AM
They have the book on Amazon.com for $16.47. Not sure if this is a discount from Walmarts price but this is where I got a few poker books a while ago for a good price.

Moneyline
07-14-2005, 02:51 AM
www.gamblersbook.com (http://www.gamblersbook.com)

... but you'll have to pay retail

Howard Burroughs
07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
If you have a hard time finding a copy, The GBC in Vegas is where I bought mine about a month or two ago (or whenever it was, when that thread started on the 2+2 book forum).

They (GBC) ship to everywhere the world over and I would think they should have it in stock. Food for thought if you need a copy fast!

Best of Luck

Howard

King Yao
07-14-2005, 10:23 AM
The second printing is leaving the manufacturers today. From there, I'm not sure how long it will take to get to the retailers. Possibly 2 weeks? That's just a guess.

fnord_too
07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Do you mind sharing how many copies of your book have sold so far?

King Yao
07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I hope I'm not making a mistake by posting this, but I can't see how this information can come back to bite me.

1st printing = 2,000 copies
2nd printing = 15,000 copies

I'm not sure what the back-order is right now, but I think it is around 2,000. This is from the publisher to the distributors, and not yet directly to the individual buyers.

La Brujita
07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I received it very quickly from Amazon's secondary market. I just bought it last week. From what I have read it is a good read. Nice job sir!

djack
07-14-2005, 10:38 AM
The small number of the first printing surprises me. That's pessimistic, given the popularity of poker books and the quality of your book.

fnord_too
07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The small number of the first printing surprises me. That's pessimistic, given the popularity of poker books and the quality of your book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is much smaller than I would have thought. I am curious because the publisher is a no name for poker books as far as I know and the author is also not known, but the book is of superior quality. only 2,000 in print (this wasn't a typo? not 20,000?) is pretty amazing. The marketing strategy seems, well, weak. I am guessing this book was written out of passion, not desire for money (I am assuming Yao made enough to retire on in his previous career). Still, with that few books I don't see how it can be in any mainstream brick and mortar book stores. It hardly seems that a run of 2,000 even covers the set up costs for the first run, but I have no experience in the publishing game.

You should seriously consider making a concerted marketing effort, your book is so much better than most of the crap that lines the shelves at Barnes and Noble, and deserves more exposure.

Are you planning on writing any other books?

King Yao
07-14-2005, 11:41 AM
The first printing was low, yes, that is true. There is always the second printing, and the books from that printing will find its way to the mainstream bookstores. So the opportunity lost was maybe a month. I'm hoping this book has a long shelf life, so I'm not worried about a month.

All in all, I am very happy with my relationship with Stanford Wong and Pi Yee Press. They have been very easy to work with. From what I understand, most new writers have to submit a full (or close to it) manuscript, and even then it may have been difficult to find a publisher. I wrote a 2 page sample. Based on the 2 page sample and what he knew about me from Sharp Sports Betting, he offered me a good deal. Without that, I am not sure I would have found the initiative to spend so much time on the book.

fnord_too
07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I just googled them, apparently they are a well known name in the gambling book arena, I just didn't know the name.

disjunction
07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Amazon told me August but I didn't cancel the order and the ship date was magically moved up to last week. So I'd just stick with the Walmart order. FWIW

MicroBob
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Yes - Wong and Pi Yee are VERY well known in the gambling world.

FWIW - I knew of Pi Yee way before I had even heard of 2+2.
But that's because I was a blackjack player before I was a poker-player.

When I first stumbled onto these forums and there was talk of HEFAP and TOP, etc my reaction was, "so....you're telling me that the guys who run these forums also have some decent books too??"

prez2032
07-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Try velocitybooks.com. He had Weighing the Odds in stock as of Monday. Quick response, good price, and I got it in 2 days with Priority shipping. I recommend the site and will buy from there again.

-S

djack
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, Wong is a big name in the gambling arena. If you weren't going with 2+2 (and Yao's post makes it clear that he wasn't) then I think Wong would have been the guy to go with.

Still, 2000 seems very pessimistic. Yao's book is good.

07-15-2005, 04:20 AM
King,

What are the changes to the 2nd printing? Is it just corrections or did you add new content?

King Yao
07-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Its all corrections with the exception of a 2 page addition titled: The Value of Position. You can see it on my blog: http://weighingtheodds.blogspot.com/2005/05/possible-addition-to-chapter-on.html

I use a sample hand to show the value of acting last.

Aside from this small addition, everything else is corrections.

Al P
07-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I bought it from the New & Used section on Amazon. It was from one of the cheapest places in Vegas - I forget which. But it got halfway across the country 3 days after I ordered.

Lawrence Ng
07-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I just got my copy of WTOIH today..read through the first 3 chapters, then jumped into the SH section - which IMHO is gold.

I'm just wondering if the copy I got today is the 1st or 2nd print?

Thanks

Lawrence