PDA

View Full Version : How far do I take blind stealing?

Eeegah
07-13-2005, 11:40 PM
BB is a SLAP with about 2.5+ AF and around 27%VPIP.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero...

I realize that if my steal is called then high-card strength is much more important than being a suited connector. Should I have just chucked this preflop?

The flop hits, and obviously it sucks hardcore for me. Yet he checks, and I'm left wondering if I can represent a monster (easy to do with this board) and get him to fold, or is he about to checkraise me. I don't know if the villain is capable of such, but .25/.50 checkraising is rather uncommon and I lean strongly towards "no" unless proven otherwise. If I check, I'm guaranteed to be bet into on the turn and I'll have to let it go. Is it worth a bet to knock him off?

If possible I'd like to make a bit more general discussion, however. Unless I missed it, SSHE is strangely silent when it comes to blind steals and defense (perhaps since SS games are loose enough to make it kindof rare), so I'm basically left with raising the upper range of what I'd limp with, otherwise folding. Conversely, I have no idea what I should be defending blinds with, but I suspect it's either raise or fold. Any pointers?

Greg J
07-13-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SSHE is strangely silent when it comes to blind steals and defense

[/ QUOTE ]
HEPFAP. Gotta get that.

Preflop looks good. I bet this flop, and that is the last I put in the pot.

Eeegah
07-13-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HEPFAP. Gotta get that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought HEPFAP was inapplicable below 5/10 at the least?

tiltaholic
07-13-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet this flop, and that is the last I put in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

tiltaholic
07-13-2005, 11:46 PM
also see this:

from the 7/2 ss digest (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2731346&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=)

Sykes
07-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Actually, this is one of the better boards you can get when blind stealing. When blind stealing, an A on the board usually helps to get people get away from their hands so it's easier for you to blind-steal. Also, against most people, it usually takes about 2 bullets (bets on flop and turn) for a blind steal to work.

Blind stealing is not cut and dry. It relies on the opponet, how loosely they call pre-flop/flop/and turn. Also, it relies on their agression. Whether you'll be played back or not is another consideration on whether you should be blind stealing with sub optimal hands (although T9s is a ALWAYS blind steal hand).

The reason SSHE doesn't cover blind steals because SSHE was created for low-limit ring games that usually does not get to blind steals very often.

You should read HEPAP to improve your shorthanded play.

bozlax
07-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Two suggestions.

First, the straightforward approach: bet, if c/r'd, fold. Meh, but it gets you home.

Second, especially if Villan has seen you play a couple the other way, check behind on the flop and raise the inevitable turn bet, no matter what falls. I've made a couple of Villans pee themselves playing 1/2 with that one, dunno how well it would work at .25/.50.

Eeegah
07-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Whoa, quick advice there. Thanks alot guys, and I guess I'll go ahead and get HEPFAP already /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I bet, and the villain folded.

Aaron W.
07-14-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HEPFAP. Gotta get that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought HEPFAP was inapplicable below 5/10 at the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't think of these books as stakes-dependent. It's really player-dependent at all levels.

Watain
07-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I would give it a try at the flop.

This only have to cause him to fold like 25%, and itīs quite likely that he is scared of you preflop raise considering the board. But if he calls or raises thats it.

Watain
07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
HEPFAP? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

car ramrod
07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
this flop is great for you. Bet this, it scares him more than you, especially since you raised pf.
If he calls then don't try to bluff anymore.

also, this is a good hand pf to blind steal with.

@bsolute_luck
07-14-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold'Em Poker For Advanced Players.

Watain
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]