PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Trip Report

HDPM
02-18-2003, 12:52 AM
This trip had a bunch of visting with in-laws and losing poker, but it was still a good time. Amazing, huh?
First section: Other 2+2ers. I didn't come across many posters this trip, but I did get to talk to Vince for a while at Bellagio. He was giving me lessons on how to bet the horses with a system that was guaranteed to beat Sklansky's scientific analysis. I think it is foolproof, but I admit I made no bets using the system and don't think I will. Vince also gave me some excellent poker advice that helped me some when I played. I didn't pay enough attention to it to my detriment, I must admit. Had I better followed his advice I would have had a better attitude toward the end of my trip. I observed the 30-60 game Mason and Bob Morgan were playing at the Bellagio for a little while. I didn't bother either of them while they were playing though. Maybe next time. I was very tempted to grab an open seat and take a shot at the game to see what I could see though. That game is above my head right now, but I often learn better by jumping in and trying to figure some things out. I passed, which was probably the best poker decision I made on the trip in terms of bankroll at least. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Second Section: Poker Playing. Here was the worst part of the trip. I have not been playing for various reasons. My first session back I played the bellagio 8-16. I played OK I think, but I was irritated and bored from the beginning, which is a bad combination. So I probably didn't play real well whether I recognize it or not. The hands I lost on there wasn't a lot I could do though, so I don't know how much my play/attitude affected the result. The next day I played 15-30 and got going a little better. I was up and down, but seemed to be playing a bit better. I ended up losing a couple hands and losing some for the session. Not a huge loss or anything, but my attitude seemed off. The rest of my play was low-limit at the Orleans, where the room and poker rate were good as usual. I played good one session. I got off to a horrendous start having big hands cracked by cheese. I was losing JJ, QQ, KK, AA to stuff like 6-2o, J-2o, etc... In other words, the game was great. I kept a good attitude and ended up winning about 10 bets for the night. I overcame the bad breaks and just kept playing. I wanted to play more that particular session and was enjoying it in spite of loing some big hands for whatever reason. My next session I was irritated again and had some problems. Part was just the cards, part was me. I didn't like how I reacted to a couple things. I am a little worried because I had a bad attitude for no reason in 2 different sessions. Something is wrong in my game and outlook that I will have to fix. It wasn't just getting mad at bad results or running bad or whatever. I started out bored and irritated before any results. I am pretty sure my attitude affected my play from the outset, even if it didn't have an exact relationship with my results, if that makes any sense. If the cards broke differently I might have won playing like I did, but there was something wrong anyway. I may have to go over to the psych forum and solicit opinions. So we'll see I guess.

Third section: Food/Beverage/Other. Valentines night dinner was at the Nine Steakhouse at the Palms. This was the second time I have been there and it is very good. I recommend it. I think Delmonico's is better, but we couldn't get into Delmonico's that night. Bone in ribeye for two, sliced up, with some kind of mashed potatoes with crab and stuff in it was excellent. Cheap place we went to with inlaws was the Prime Rib Loft at Orleans. this restaurant is a good solid mediocre. If you want an OK piece of meat in an OK atmosphere for an OK price, this is the place. The bar there had an Irish whisky I had tried around Christmas with friends. The problem was that I was sick with clogged sinuses when drinking the stuff (for medicinal purposes of course) so I didn't give the stuff a fair tasting even if I tried enough doses of it. (Again, only for the medicinal value.) I could only taste a little and get a sense of texture, smoothnes, etc...So I tried it when I could taste it. It is Tyrconnel Single Malt Irish Whisky and I recommnd that. Someone may have mentioned this whisky before in the whisky thread, but I don't remember and am too lazy to go look. But drink this stuff if you come across it. It is very good if you too need some medicine and is better than the food at the Prime Rib Loft. For the women or guys with wives, the spa at the Orleans is now open. I did not go in but HDPW said the spa and various massage/facials, etc... was good and about half the price of ones on the strip. She has tried out Rio, Monte Carlo, and Venetian and was satisfied with this one. So it can't be too bad. She also found plenty of shopping at the Fashion Show Mall so we contributed plenty to the tax base in Nevada for you locals. She definitely had me beat in the LGPG department this trip. Yeah, I think she played better. My shopping was at the Gambler's Book Store which was excellent as always. I bought 4 books and could have gotten several others. I also hit some pool/billiard places while I was there, since the selection around here is poor. I found a toy or two, but wisely declined an invitation to play for some cash by a good player at a local poolroom. Funny how he asked me to play without seeing me hit a ball. But I watched him play some guy and realized I had zero chance. Jimbo could rob him I think though. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

All in all it was a good trip. My poker losses were troubling, although not for the dollar amount involved, which wasn't too bad. Had a good time over wife's b-day and Valentines day, and even seeing the in-laws was OK. Hopefully next time I'll catch more posters. I will probably get there for the seminar in April.

Mason Malmuth
02-18-2003, 02:48 AM
Hi HDPM:

It's okay to bother me a little bit when I'm in a game. It's also okay to bother Bob Morgan a lot when he's in a game, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif especially if I'm in the game with him. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Best wishes,
Mason

Jimbo
02-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Nice report HDPM, too bad your poker sessions were "irritating". Hope HDPW spent enough to make you both feel better. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
02-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Hey HDPM! You saw Morgan and Mason, but not the Babe? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I also had the pleasure of playing with Morgan last weekend. As always, he is a delight. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Sorry I missed u. LGPG, and see you in April. Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Dentist
02-18-2003, 03:35 PM
I am headed to Vegas in 3 weeks.
March 9-13.

How in the heck would I recognize a "2+2er" if I even saw one.

I know what Mason looks like because his mug is on his books.

As for the pokerbabe, I guess I'll just look for the Britney Spears lookalike at the table.

As for the rest of the legends like Dynasty, Clarkmeister, or whoever, how would I even know if I saw you....?

I guess everyone must know everyone else's real name here...

Clarkmeister
02-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I hate words like "legends". We're all just nerds who post on a poker site. Nothing more. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Seriously, if you are interested in meeting, its easiest to private message people and let them know where and when you'll be playing, along with a brief description of yourself. Usually someone will find time to swing by and say 'hi'.

HDPM
02-18-2003, 06:02 PM
I have met 2+2 er's different ways. How I met Las Vegas posters was to introduce myself to Mason one time. He pointed out Vince to me and I then met Vince. Vince introduced me to others. I also went to the seminar last year and met some more people including Clarkmeister and Dynasty. For instance, I mentioned Bob Morgan in my post above. I don't know him but met him briefly at the seminar and know who he is from that. Also post if you will be in Las Vegas. Sometimes you will be in town when another out-of-town poster will be there. I met KJS that way. I hope to meet more people and get to know others better. It is well worth meeting people who post here.

Bill Murphy
02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
HDPM "rec'd" me first time we played together: Dealer sez "Your BB, Bill" + I sez tae HDPM in SB "I don't chop" = *BINGO* /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

They're having another biggie in March at Rainbow, BTW, HDPM.

PokerBabe(aka)
02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
I hate words like "legends". We're all just nerds who post on a poker site. Nothing more. /forums/images/icons/spade.gif HEY Clarky - speak for yourself. Some of us are "Babes" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LGPG, The legendary PokerBabe /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

M2d
02-19-2003, 12:52 PM
There's only one Babe

andyfox
02-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Sorry I missed you. I arrived around 4:00 on Sunday and was able to meet Poker Babe, Clarkmeister and MB for a drink at the gorgeous Prime in the Bellagio. Nice people.
I regret I had only one hour to schmooze, and didn't get any time to play. Maybe in April.

Thanks to Babe for the lift, nice meeting you all.

Andy

PokerBabe(aka)
02-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks to you Andy for the wonderful (albeit short) time together. I'm glad you liked the designated drink spot. If you come back in April for the 2+2 meeting/seminar/dinner, maybe we can win a bunch of chips so we can eat there!. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Oh yea, if you do come back in April, bring that other guy we know (whose initials are T.A.) with you. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
02-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Now THAT is how you get on the BBL.! Are u coming to visit us in April for the seminar/dinner? /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

mike l.
02-20-2003, 02:21 AM
looking forward to seeing all of you again on the 25th. should be a lot of fun. i have one request for the hosts: name tags so posters can put their nicknames on them.

looking forward to meeting even more new faces this time.

tommy seemed to have the right idea last year after the seminar: seat me on his right in a shorthanded 20-40 game and challenge me to a drinking contest. good fun.

Tommy Angelo
02-20-2003, 09:34 AM
"tommy seemed to have the right idea last year after the seminar: seat me on his right in a shorthanded 20-40 game and challenge me to a drinking contest. good fun."

Last year in Vegas is when I started drinking while playing. It was that $5-5 blinds pot-limit game at the Shoe that did it. All it took was a steady week-long stream of Jack Daniels, and my bluffing frequency somehow landed on optimum.

As to our $20-40 time at the Mirage. I recall that after the game broke in the corner on the lower level, we moved to another $20-40 game on the upper deck, and that I sorta halfway passed out at the table and folded 100 hands in a row. And now you think I'm a tight player, when actually it was just a booze and sleep disorder. Poker is such a funny game.

Tommy

M2d
02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Don't know if I can make it. Tough time to travel for me. Plus, the games around here get so good with people like Tommy headed towards vegas.

Mash
02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Bill,
What day is the tournament at the Rainbow being held at?

Thanks...