PDA

View Full Version : Quick Poll: Limping AA/KK

RunDownHouse
07-13-2005, 09:53 PM
I always just assumed that anyone I saw do this was an idiot, except under very special circumstances (I don't know if I've ever actually seen the right circumstances at these 6max games). I still think I'm right, but thought I'd throw up a quick poll and see if I was missing something.

Please share your reasoning for limping these, if you do it.

IGMorton
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
i don't do it much. but, limp-reraising is great fun if i know some other tag at the table will raise me. the limp-reraise really throws people off.

since i open-limp small pp's and hands like JTs, people don't expect much when i limp AA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave D
07-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Your poll answers arent specific enough.

I limp AA/KK if I know it's going to be heads up (say im the sb and it folds to me). Depending on situation I might limp AA if I expect two other people to see the flop.

I'll do it sometimes against LAGs too, especially when I know I'll be heads up with them and the action will usually go they raise, I call, i check, they bet, i call, i check, they bet, i raise.

GetThere1Time
07-13-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll do it sometimes against LAGs too, especially when I know I'll be heads up with them and the action will usually go they raise, I call, i check, they bet, i call, i check, they bet, i raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're missing about a million bets against a LAG.

Dave D
07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
depends on the LAG. I was assuming a LAG that would check/call after a 3 bet flop.

thuja
07-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I limped an AA last night. The reason was that I had been at the table for a couple of hours, the table was fairly tight, and everyone knew that I was tight and aggressive. Before I got the AA, I had about a 20 minute stretch without a hand to play. I knew that if I open with a raise from early position, the whole table would fold

vabogee
07-14-2005, 11:11 AM
limp-reraising is like holding up a sign that says "I have AA! Play me accordingly!" I said "no" by the way.

sam h
07-14-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
limp-reraising is like holding up a sign that says "I have AA! Play me accordingly!"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can trap 2-3 other players for three bets preflop, who cares?

sam h
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
I'll do this in two situations. First if I'm UTG and there are two players behind me with PFR > 20 who are not good/observant enough to wonder what I'm doing limping UTG. Second if I'm SB and I think the BB doesn't defend enough.

vabogee
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
limp-reraising is like holding up a sign that says "I have AA! Play me accordingly!"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can trap 2-3 other players for three bets preflop, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

because there are still three streets of betting left to go, and they know more about your hand than you do about theirs. (assuming they're decent players) if i flop a set, i'm now trapping you for 3 or more bets, knowing there's a huge chance you have AA, and think the flop didn't help me. just the way i see it...

intensify1
07-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I couldnt agree with you more here. Everytime someones limps reraisese with me on the table in the hand that is, I openly acknowledge that I suspect he has AA just to mess with him. I auto fold almost anything on the flop bet. Unless i have a strong ahnd or a great draw. I can see the not played a hand in 20 minutes theory, but in 6 max my thoughts agains tyour average opponents is to bring it in for a raise.

sfer
07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I limp AA/KK if I know it's going to be heads up (say im the sb and it folds to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is like the worst time to limp.

Alobar
07-14-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I limp AA/KK if I know it's going to be heads up (say im the sb and it folds to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

nervous
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I limp/reraised KK once.

That was only because I misclicked call the first time.

Catt
07-14-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it is the worst time, but I've considered this away from the tables a couple of times and both times concluded that it was a bad play given my game. I steal pretty liberally from the SB and I'd count on observant players to give me a huge range and non-observant players to put me on a big range given the circumstances. I may someday find the circumstance to limp AA from the SB, but I'll be surprised when it happens.

sam h
07-14-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the BB is fairly tight defending the blinds, especially if he is also fairly aggressive, limping seems pretty good to me.

I can definitely think of many situations when it would a lot worse to limp.

sam h
07-14-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because there are still three streets of betting left to go, and they know more about your hand than you do about theirs. (assuming they're decent players) if i flop a set, i'm now trapping you for 3 or more bets, knowing there's a huge chance you have AA, and think the flop didn't help me. just the way i see it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Most players might "know" you have AA or KK, but they still won't get away from one pair hands. And if they hit I don't think they are going to make more money off of me with a set than they would if my hand was concealed. Either way I'm going to be jamming, they're going to be jamming, etc. If anything, it might be easier for me to play, knowing for instance that 3-betting a turn raise on many boards is dicier than usual because my hand is more transparent and a raise more likely to mean something that can beat one pair.

sfer
07-14-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the BB is fairly tight defending the blinds, especially if he is also fairly aggressive, limping seems pretty good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's aggressive the best way I can 4-bet preflop is by open-raising. My hand is disguised. I want akshawnd.