PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 8s

smonahan
07-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm new to playing with real money. I've been playing with play money for about a year and finally have some extra cash so I started a real money account. I've played about 600 hands so far and am ahead, but I know that's too few hands to make any real conclusions. I picked up GSHE yesterday and have read through the section on limit poker.

One situation where I'm never quite sure what to do is with pocket 8s. These two hands happened 1 hand apart. What's the best way to play these types of situations? Being new I'm not that good at reading other players yet, but the table was playing looser than most table's I've played.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls.

River: (15 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls $0.08 (All-In), BB folds.

Final Pot: 17.80 BB

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Webster
07-13-2005, 11:13 PM
One thing - Either you are going to lead or you are going to fold when an over card hits.

Hand #1 - I would have 3 bet the flop. You have top pair, take charge and THEN see what happens. you really don't want people with a higher card in the hand so if you can manage to fold ONE guy, your odds of winning just went up.

The way it went down is MP2 is in charge and you forced to call and pray.

Hand #2 - raise MP and see what he REALLY has, if he reraises you get out, you saved some dough. If he calls you will probebly get a free card on the river. Anyway - again - a raise with one small bet would fold some players and thus - your chances of winning the hand go up.

MP probebly has a K weak kicker and is now scared of you,. I would have check/called on the river though.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)