PDA

View Full Version : Religious Posters and Poker

BluffTHIS!
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
There is something I've been curious about for a while. Some of the regular contributors to these religious threads, unless the accounts they are using are second accounts or recreated after banning accounts, seem never to post about poker. For the last couple of weeks I haven't either, though I regularly post in the plo, high no-limit, other poker and sometimes the poker theory forums. I allot about an hour a day to reading and posting in 2+2, and if I post a lot here don't do it elsewhere much. But I am just curious why some of you don't seem to also post in poker related forums. I'm not accusing you of anything or insinuating that you have to. I am just curious whether some of you regular relgious posters for whom I can't find poker posts are actually poker players. I play fulltime online and it is the only source of my income and thus very important to me. Besides studying posts here, I also spend time every single day studying, reading and re-reading poker related material to improve my game and understanding. But I also have other interests like religion, science and computer technical ones, and so post regarding those things as well. But I primarily participate in 2+2 because of poker. So I was just wondering if some of you who I am talking about actually play and study about poker much. I have often wondered the same about many of the regular posters in the politics forum. This probably is a post that acutally belongs in the psychology forum, but the posters I am addressing it to can be found here most easily. Again, I am not insinuating you are not welcome here or should not be posting, I am just curious whether some of you are actually also serious poker players. Perhaps the answer is merely that you are newbie players who don't feel qualified yet to give any advice. Any responses would be appreciated.

mosquito
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
How about those of us who do not post in religon, but
come here sometimes to browse?

BluffTHIS!
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Jump in, the water's warm.

drudman
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I guess I'm not a religious poster, but for what it's worth, I do play a lot. I don't post because I live with Daryn and I trust his advice and analysis more.

Zeno
07-13-2005, 11:19 PM
I used to post about poker quite a bit, up to about 1 year ago, and then slowly slacked off to essentially nil at present. In addition, my posts were uniformly condescendingly arrogant and flippant screeds peppered with atrocious comments, contradictory to deliberately obscure advice, and witty insults to all concerned.

And yes, I was a serious poker player for a number of years. I only play occasionally now, mostly for amusement.

-Zeno

BluffTHIS!
07-14-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I only play occasionally now, mostly for amusement.

[/ QUOTE ]

For yours or for that of your opponents?

Prevaricator
07-14-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm a regular in the mid hi plnl, I post here sometimes because some of the content in this forum interests me.
In my opinion though, most of these religion debates are pointless because no one will ever change their mind, and nothing can ever be "proven" especially if people say things like scientific evidence is a test of your faith.

Jman28
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't have a comment really on this topic, but I thought I'd just take this chance to say something.

BluffTHIS, you often have very interesting things to say, from what I can tell, but this and other posts are very difficult to read. Please use paragraphs. For my sake and others.

BluffTHIS!
07-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I usually do but will try harder to paragraph in the future. As to the respondents, I'm kinda disappointed because 3 or 4 of the main ones whose response I would like to have seen seem to be AWOL on this thread.

vulturesrow
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually do but will try harder to paragraph in the future. As to the respondents, I'm kinda disappointed because 3 or 4 of the main ones whose response I would like to have seen seem to be AWOL on this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I on your short list of 3-4 respondents? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyhow, I do play and I do study poker, which is why I ever found 2+2 in the first place. My poker posts these days are mostly limited to small stakes NL. I play for fun and a little extra money, and my day job takes up a lot of my time. To be honest I feel more comfortable posting on the religion topics because it is something I know a lot about. Poker isnt, although I am getting more comfortable with that. But what Im doing a poor job of saying is that I prefer read more and post less in the poker forums mostly because I am keenly aware of how much I have to learn. With the religion type stuff I am more comfortable with my knowledge base. Hope this helps.

bossJJ
07-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I first came here for the poker content. After graduating from college last year, I became a professional poker player by default, because I couldn't find a regular job. To be honest, I wasn't looking very hard, as I have no interest in the whole corporate 9-to-5 grind, and I don't know what I want to do for a career.

Poker was fun and a relatively easy way to make money, at first. However, doing it full-time is also a grind, and lately I find it hard to motivate myself to put in the hours. As I lost interest in poker, I starting reading more of the off-topic forums instead of the poker-related ones.

I've always been interested in religion, and David's thread (Why do Jews reject Jesus?) motivated me to finally join the forum. I do feel less qualified than many here to talk about poker, and I'm just not that interested in doing so at this point.

PairTheBoard
07-14-2005, 05:48 PM
I used to make a lot of Poker Posts at UPF under this same name. You can look back in the 2+2 archives for "Median Best Hand" to see how I was treated when I tried to contribute a truly novel poker concept to this place. Nowdays I read the threads here in the Mid-High Limit Holdem Forum to get an idea what other people are up to. If what they say is right I'm fine with it. If it's suprising but possibly correct I think about it. If I think they are wrong I have no desire to suffer the abuse trying to convince them, just so they can turn around and use my advice against me in competition. Usually someone like Ray Zee steps in to give what would have been my opinion. I'm playing 15-30 online these days.

These religious threads are a fun diversion. I've been interested in these kinds of topics for years but rarely had anyone to discuss them with. I was just thinking how amazing it is that we are able to get together through this medium to engage each other with our views. Before the internet such a thing would have been virually impossible for most of us.

PairTheBoard

David Sklansky
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the signifigance of the fact that our two prolific Catholic posters chose names beseeching the poker gods to help them profit on a hand. Not a coincidence if you ask me.

Timer
07-14-2005, 06:42 PM
<font color="red"> But I am just curious why some of you don't seem to also post in poker related forums. </font>

It goes against my better judgment, but I'll tell you why. Most of the idiots posting in the strategy forums haven't got a clue. Kids that have been playing for six months who know everything, and the 8000+ posters who are dumber than a bag of rocks.

Besides, I already know everything there is to know about poker. What do I need it for? Talking about poker is boring. Discussing poker hands is boring. Arguing about poker strategy is boring. Incredibly boring. All that stuff is just . . . blah.

When I play, I just play. It's autopilot. I already thought this stuff out years ago. The last thing I wanna do is talk about it.

These religious threads were a little bit interesting, but they quickly became boring as well, especially all of that stuff about Judaism. I mean let's face it, the Jews are screwd up lot. They killed Jesus and then spent the next 2000 years trying to explain it away. And what's this deal about pork?

But there was one thing that kept leaping into my mind whenever I read one of these religious threads. Every time I read one of David Sklansky's responses, I was always reminded of one thing:

<font color="red">"Get thee behind me Satan."</font>

vulturesrow
07-14-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the signifigance of the fact that our two prolific Catholic posters chose names beseeching the poker gods to help them profit on a hand. Not a coincidence if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought you might be referring to me but my handle has nothing to do with poker or God... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

BluffTHIS!
07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
The only thing I ever pray for is to play as well as I can.

Zeno
07-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Timer,

Your post was worth reading. Good Job.

Get in front of me Satan, I want to see you in action.

-Zeno

ACPlayer
07-15-2005, 12:05 AM
I play almost every day that I am near a poker room. I read about Poker, have practically every (major) book and software on poker at hand. Whenever I eat alone, I almost always have a poker book at hand. I make extensive notes of games I played (after the fact) and often review hands from the past.

I have plenty of outside interests. Am an avid Scuba enthusiast. Travel extensively, with my gear and backpack and willing to go anywhere that sounds like fun with anyone who sounds like fun.

I spend inordinate amount of time on the Politics forum as I enjoy gaining and refining my own understanding of various positions, occaisonally be making outrageous statements (but usually am quite reasonable /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Unfortunately, I do not find the Poker related forum very useful (specially of late). There are way too many online hands (and in my view online poker is very different from B/M poker). Most difficult questions are so read and feel dependent for me that there are no simple answers. Also of late most of the better posters, post only rarely.