PDA

View Full Version : Stealing vs the fish, how bad did I mess it up? 5/10hand

Emperor
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB is seeing every hand

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

TimM
07-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Quick, remove the word "Texas" from the top of the HH, run it through the converter again, and then edit your post.

jba
07-13-2005, 10:05 PM
this is exactly how I would play this hand

TStoneMBD
07-13-2005, 10:18 PM
this is why you should be keeping notes on whether the player is peeling cards on the flop with hopeless odds or not. the player has to be pretty horrific to chase a non gutshot-non pair hand on this flop. the gutshot card caught. if hes not the type to do this then i fold this river. most players arent going to valuebet a pair of 7s on that river, they will usually check-call.

Emperor
07-13-2005, 10:23 PM
I absolutely agree on taking that note, with a more important note being, IMO, is he capable of bluff betting the river hoping I will fold.

This guy was absolutely capable of calling down on every street with any 2 cards... But good idea to mke sure..

TStoneMBD
07-13-2005, 10:26 PM
yes bluffing the river notes are very valuable, but so hard to do. make a habit out of noting every time someone folds on the flop after youve raised preflop, or if theyved called the flop and folded the turn. it will really save you bundles in situations like these.

i always note "donkey, or megadonkey" if i see someone make a bluff attempt. if i have a note like this on the player i call this river.

ncboiler
07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Read would be nice but given no read I would bet the turn and check the river. He may have peeled one on the flop but now he has kind of gained control on the river due to your check and this allowed him to bluff. Seeing how you checked and he led out on the river I fold because of the small pot. Your only getting 4.5:1 that your jack is good.

Kyle
07-13-2005, 11:11 PM
I agree with what everyones has mentioned so far about the play after the flop, but I really disagree with this raise preflop. Why try to steal from a player who plays too many hands and goes too far with them post flop with a hand that does not have any showdown value?

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read would be nice but given no read I would bet the turn and check the river. He may have peeled one on the flop but now he has kind of gained control on the river due to your check and this allowed him to bluff. Seeing how you checked and he led out on the river I fold because of the small pot. Your only getting 4.5:1 that your jack is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players will bet any river on a checked through turn. Folding here would be worse than calling.

jskills
07-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Looks like the "fish" used the "way ahead / way behind" line on you? I hate that.

The only thing you can do differently here is bet / fold the turn (giving up in the presense of two overcards if passive opponent raises). I tend to bet the turn in steal situations heads up like this.

Folding the river is hard since (if he is indeed a fish) he might be betting a worse jack. Seems to me that most times you are beat in this spot ...

jskills
07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with what everyones has mentioned so far about the play after the flop, but I really disagree with this raise preflop. Why try to steal from a player who plays too many hands and goes too far with them post flop with a hand that does not have any showdown value?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you saying? Limp in from the button ?

sy_or_bust
07-14-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a pure steal. Think of this as a value raise. If BB will sometimes fold and SB will always call, the pot lays terrific odds for you to play in position against a random hand. Even when BB calls you aren't in bad shape.

Limping first-in works with hands like this when BB and SB will both call your raise and peel the flop or even turn with most hands. Doesn't really apply here, IMO.