PDA

View Full Version : Do Europeans play weaker poker?

IGMorton
07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
i recently starting playing some of the Euro and English Pound stakes games at InterPoker. i'm completely dumbfounded by how loose and weak the players are. at the same site i have play around 500 hands at each of a few different stakes...

my first impressions of the games in descending order of difficulty:

3/6 U.S. dollars
2/4 U.S. dollars
3/6 English pounds (this is a shoker... the stakes here are higher than 5/10 U.S. dollars)
2/4 English pounds
2/4 Euros

no, these aren't the silly comments of stupid american. i was born a silly canadian /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robk
07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
its my understanding that in england (and much of europe) no limit and pot limit games are much more popular than limit games (at least in the recent past, maybe its changing.) that might account, at least partially, for the differences. that said i wouldnt generalize to all of europe. many tough players come from those northern eurpoean countries. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mig
07-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I thought exactly the same... I played at interpoker and it's not rare to see people bluff capping the flop with 5 high no joke hehe

Trix
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Around here most live games are no limit holdem, atleast after it started booming. I think people played stud mostly before that. Maybe mostly spread limit, not sure.

I think the games, at party atleast are tougher in daytime Europe, which would be morningish USA, not sure if that says alot though as it mostly mean that there are less American players on and more of them are regulars.

People who are new to online may be worse in Europe as they may not be used to limit holdem, like many americans, but there are just so many more american people to choose from usually, so that kinda makes up for it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Robk
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
thanks for responding trix. i agree with both of these theories.

[ QUOTE ]
not sure if that says alot though as it mostly mean that there are less American players on and more of them are regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
People who are new to online may be worse in Europe as they may not be used to limit holdem, like many americans, but there are just so many more american people to choose from usually, so that kinda makes up for it

[/ QUOTE ]

on smaller sites (or those that cater specifically to europeans) its a lot easier to notice. but i remember seeing in an article about the partygaming IPO that its players are 90+% from the states.

Silverback
07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
You pay more rake at £ tables

Instead of 50 cents its 50p, goes up to a max of not $3 but £3, so your paying almost double the rake,

Any players playing in these games therefore must be dumber and no doubt why they are easier. Anyone with even small senise would play the $ tables.

aslowjoe
07-18-2005, 11:19 AM
I used to play there a lot. I think there is very little difference in the levels. The 3/6GBP games are incredibly soft. But paying $5 a hand for rake negates a lot of the edge you have. There is less pre flop raising at Crypto but some of the players still play ok post flop.