PDA

View Full Version : Tricky flop decision

me454555
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Bb here is 30/20/2.5 over 70 hands so I give him credit for being a good player b/c my sample size is too small to call him a lag

I've got A7o on the button and open raise. Sb and BB both call.

Flop A85r checked to me I bet, sb calls, bb c/r's I......

Here's whats going through my head
1. He doesn't have a draw b/c the only draw is 67
2. He doesn't have 85 for 2 pair b/c he's unlikely to call my raise w/it
3. He knows that his c/r is going to get called since 2 opponenst have already put money into the pot
4. I raised pf so he knows theres a good chance I've got an ace

What range of hands do you put him on and whats your move?

Catt
07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Couldn't he put you on an auto-bet and do this with a wide variety of hands (Ax, a number of hands with an 8 such as J8, T8, 98, 87, and a number of hands with a 5)?

Any read on SB? I think I'd be calling the C/R and raising just about any turn card here (expecting BB to lead the turn).

me454555
07-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Sb is just loose but I don't think he's too important in the hand.

He definatly thinks I will autobet the flop but once sb calls he has almost zero fold equity on the flop. On top of that the A makes most of my hands a value bet as I have a pair w/most hands I'd raise. If he's c/ring an A, how good is it? Did he hit 2 pair or did he start w/a better one? Those were all going through my head when deciding what to do

Catt
07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sb is just loose but I don't think he's too important in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask only because if you can fold out SB for two more flop bets, I might favor a flop 3-bet instead of the call -- my thinking is that SB can also put you on an auto-bet and call one bet getting 7:1 with a wide range of hands that didn't really connect with the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
He definatly thinks I will autobet the flop but once sb calls he has almost zero fold equity on the flop. On top of that the A makes most of my hands a value bet as I have a pair w/most hands I'd raise. If he's c/ring an A, how good is it? Did he hit 2 pair or did he start w/a better one? Those were all going through my head when deciding what to do

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that I see this play made with the intention of buying folding equity that will be used on the turn as much as hoping to fold anyone on the flop; i.e., BB C/R's flop hoping to take it down with his marginal hand via a turn bet on a blank turn.

If he's also got an A, it seems to me it is at worst even money that you're ahead / behind his A -- a 30/20 against a button open-raise would probably be pre-flop 3-betting AJ or better, and might very well be 3-betting A8 or better, no? Even if his 3-bet range is just AJ+, then he's beating you with A plus T,9,8,5 losing with A + 6,4,3,2 and chopping with A7 of course (I am presuming he'd call the steal raise with A2 getting 5:1, meaning he could just as easily have A2 as a stronger A). In other words, I would not be at all ready to concede you're behind, and my decision to 3-bet the flop or call with the intention of raising the turn would likely be influenced as much by SB as by BB.

I've just recently returned from a vacation during which I didn't think about poker almost at all and haven't played in better than 10 days, so there's a pretty decent chance I'm employing some strange thinking here, though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

surfdoc
07-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I think your reasoning is sound here. The good aces are usually 3 betting a button open raise. IF he has an Ace it is still possible it is a worse Ace. It is also very possible that this is a resteal. I think you have to continue here and either 3 bet or raise the turn.