PDA

View Full Version : posting a file on your website

Boris
07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
so let's say you have a huge Powerpoint file and it's a pain in the ass, or even impossible, to email to a group of people.

The option I always use is send the file to a zip folder, upload it to my website, and then send everyone a link (something like www.boris_is_da_king.com/hugefile.zip). Then the recipients can download the file directly. My question is, if you just went to my website, you would never know that I had the hugefile.zip folder on there. It's only if I send you link would you know. Is there anyway someone can go to my sight and kind snoop around in the directory and see everything that is up there?

illunious
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyway someone can go to my sight and kind snoop around in the directory and see everything that is up there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, you would need to specifically enable directory browsing (it's always been disabled by default with web servers I've used). If you don't see anything by changing the URL from ..com/image/x.jpg to ..com/image/ and your FTP server is well administrated (assuming your on a shared server), it's unlikely someone can snoop around. Also, a public weblog might give someone locations of files you would want to be hidden.