PDA

View Full Version : raising early is it right?

badbill7
07-13-2005, 07:39 PM
wish i could remember table stats but for arguments sake let just say it is a normal table with little chance for a
raise pre flop. does anyone else raise here? and then do i just check the river also?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

topspin
07-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Preflop good. Flop good. Turn good. Check river.

EDIT: To elaborate: folded to you in MP2 preflop, you should pretty much be in raise or fold mode.

What worse hands are calling on the river? What better hands fold?

DCWildcat
07-13-2005, 07:44 PM
A 9-handed 6-max table? That's kind of scary

Edit: Would folding PF be bad?

GTSamIAm
07-13-2005, 07:45 PM
It's not that bad preflop. Depends on the table. Do it only as an open raise, though. Don't raise after limpers.

Why didn't you bet the turn? Prevent giving someone a free card when they might be drawing. Also, you can pick up the pot a lot, because people call the flop here often with overcards. You can just check the river unimproved then.

Entity
07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Preflop is fine. I bet the turn and check the river.

Eeegah
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
(grunching)
I know some people will always raise if they're opening in MP2 or later; I don't but I think I should start since my PFR is so anemic.

Flop and turn are fine from my end. It's possible you could turn down the free card on fourth street and bet if you think BB will fold, but I dont think just taking the card is bad.

River: This certainly isn't a value bet, so you're just betting if you think you can get him to fold. He checked to you twice so that's not entirely impossible. On the other hand the pot is miniscule, and you're expecting to fold him a good quarter of the time for this to work. I think checking this through would have been a better play.

Greg J
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What worse hands are calling on the river? What better hands fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to reiterate to the OP the importance of this. Consider this... let it soak in. It's really important.

This is a super easy river check.

Greg J
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

But not nearly as bad as just calling.

DCWildcat
07-13-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

But not nearly as bad as just calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatar/location combo is awesome, just so you know.

Greg J
07-13-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's not that bad preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's completely standard preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the table. Do it only as an open raise, though. Don't raise after limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's fine to raise this to isolate a loose limper, especially if the blinds are tight.

badbill7
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
It's not that bad preflop. Depends on the table. Do it only as an open raise, though. Don't raise after limpers.

Why didn't you bet the turn? Prevent giving someone a free card when they might be drawing. Also, you can pick up the pot a lot, because people call the flop here often with overcards. You can just check the river unimproved then.

feel like this is your classic free card play and if i remember correctly had a fish here who will call to river most of time

which means i should probably check the river

eviljeff
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
raising pf is your best option.
flop bet standard.
turn, I don't mind the check because I don't think he's folding anything he called with on the flop. I don't think you can bet here for value.
river is an easy check. show down your ace - he's not calling with anything you beat.

Greg J
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
feel like this is your classic free card play

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can look at the flop bet as a value bet. You know, you never bet ONLY to get a free card. My typical line it as Entity outlined. Why do you think this is?

badbill7
07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
I think you can look at the flop bet as a value bet. You know, you never bet ONLY to get a free card. My typical line it as Entity outlined. Why do you think this is?

sorry greg im not following what is an entity outlined?

DCWildcat
07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine. I bet the turn and check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg J
07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Entity is a poster. He is actually one of the most respected posters here, despite his use of weird avatars that freak me the phuk out. He commented on what line you should take. I happen to agree with him completely (which gives me a little hope that maybe I know that the phuk I'm talking about occassionally).