PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a beer.

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Okay, I'm a wannabe beer snob, and have noticed that there are many bona fide know-it-alls on this forum. I tend to enjoy lighter, crisp beers (mostly pilsners I suppose). I also really enjoy some Asian beers such as Kirin and Sapporo. Given my taste, what are some beers that I should try. I am open to pretty much anything.

btw, sorry in advance for yet another beer thread. it's just that this topic never gets old for me.

swede123
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Newcastle.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
The only beer I've ever liked was Blue Moon. Supposedly it's brewed by one of the bigger beer companies, but meh, I'm no snob, especially when it comes to beer. I enjoy liquor 100x more.

goofball
07-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Sunshine Wheat beer
Fat Tire Amber Ale
Guinness
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Bridgeport Porter

Los Feliz Slim
07-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Duvel Belgian Ale

Corey
07-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I would suggest a Belgian Golden Ale. Duvel is the most widely available one. Without knowing exactly where you live, I would suggest a store like Cost Plus or Whole Foods for finding a decent selection of Belgians. I'm sure if you tried you could find a better selection at a local store (check the Directory in the Beerfly section at BeerAdvocate.com)

daveymck
07-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I prefer Leffe for belgium beer.

Newcastle Brown and anything Theakstons do would be my UK recommendations for beer that might be available stateside.

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guinness

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for responding, but I hardly think this fits the bill as light and crisp.

daveymck
07-13-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guinness

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for responding, but I hardly think this fits the bill as light and crisp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scratch my suggestions you dont mean beer you mean Lagers.

daveymck
07-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Stella Artois is a decent lager belgium made.

Apart form that I find lager tends to be pretty similar.

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guinness

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scratch my suggestions you dont mean beer you mean Lagers.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why I'm a wannabe, I just call everything beer. best lagers then.

SmileyEH
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Harpoon IPA

-SmileyEH

durron597
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Do a search on OOT with the word "beer" in the subject.

Willluck
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Spotted Cow.

stabn
07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Leffe for belgium beer.

Newcastle Brown and anything Theakstons do would be my UK recommendations for beer that might be available stateside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newcastle is easily attainable here and is definitely great stuff.

Wes ManTooth
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stella Artois is a great beer, Allagash (from Maine) is excellent

DasLeben
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Both Newcastle and Blue Moon are great crisp beers that non-beer drinkers may definitely like.

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do a search on OOT with the word "beer" in the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem to me that many OOtiots ever get tired of discussing beer. Plus I wanted to get some suggestions that fit my personal taste. If you're tired of reading beer threads, then don't. The word "beer" was clearly present in the title, I didn't trick you into reading it.

Oh, and if you were just trying to be helpful, and not an ass like I thought you were, disregard the above paragraph.

The Dude
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Newcastle.

[/ QUOTE ]

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both Newcastle and Blue Moon are great crisp beers that non-beer drinkers may definitely like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that Newcastle was a darker, heavier beer. And the only time I have had Blue Moon it tasted like soap water, but it was draught and the bar was kind of suspect.

gumpzilla
07-13-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll second davey, Stella Artois is probably what you're looking for. It's pretty broadly available in the US, to my knowledge. I also used to really like Harp, but I haven't had it in quite a while. EDIT: Newcastle is another great choice. Though it's darker in color, it's not really anything like a stout (Guinness) or pale ale (Sierra Nevada) and is pretty smooth.

durron597
07-13-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and if you were just trying to be helpful, and not an ass like I thought you were, disregard the above paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was. But I'm a Carpal \'Tunnel on the 2+2 forums, so obviously I have no tact whatsoever /images/graemlins/wink.gif

imported_ncray
07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Lagunitas IPA or Samuel Smith's IPA

M2d
are you a bud/coors guy who's trying to expand his horizons (no shame, so am I)? if so, try:
stella
pilsner urquel
Steinlager
Dos Equis
Mehana

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that Newcastle was a darker, heavier beer. And the only time I have had Blue Moon it tasted like soap water, but it was draught and the bar was kind of suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newcastle is definitely a darker Ale. But darker doesn't mean heavier or more bitter or whatever. I'd definitely call it crisp and easy drinking (which sometimes creates a problem, especially if they are free).

Swede

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Any thoughts on my current favs, Kirin Ichiban and Saporro? Anyone else like them, or do I just enjoy horse piss?

DasLeben
07-13-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno...I wouldn't call Newcastle heavy at all. It's easy to drink IMO. Yeah, try Blue Moon from the bottles in the store. It does have a bit of a citrus aftertaste, but I really like it.

squeek12
07-13-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you a bud/coors guy who's trying to expand his horizons (no shame, so am I)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of a tweener. I seem to be stuck in between beer white trashiness and beer snobbery. Probably a little closer to the former.

gumpzilla
07-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't think I've had Sapporo, at least I don't remember it. My girlfriend's father is a big fan of Kirin Ichiban, so I used to drink it reasonably often at when at their house. It's not bad at all.

daveymck
07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Newcastle is definitely a darker Ale. But darker doesn't mean heavier or more bitter or whatever. I'd definitely call it crisp and easy drinking (which sometimes creates a problem, especially if they are free).

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but you wont actually remeber it was free, the dog is evil stuff in large quantities.

Fans of that might like Beamish Red no idea if its available in the US though.

asb165
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Magic Hat #9

gumpzilla
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes but you wont actually remeber it was free, the dog is evil stuff in large quantities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. You actually call it the dog in the UK? I thought that was just an entertaining blurb on the side of the bottle.

brassnuts
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
You might like Moosehead.

daveymck
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes well in the North East (Newcastle where its from) it would be a bottle of dog or bottle of broon.

Dog as blokes used to take their dog for a walk tying it to the lampost outside the pub to go in and have a few drinks on the sly from the wife (who I am sure knew what was going on anyway).

Maulik
07-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Bass Ale, duh.

cornell2005
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Duvel Belgian Ale

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an excellent choice

Drew16
07-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Old Style

Pocket Trips
07-13-2005, 07:02 PM
harpoon winter warmer is my favorite beer of all time!!!

I buy cases of it thru xmas then it lasts me till about march

gumpzilla
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I just thought of another possibility you might enjoy: Shiner Hefeweizen. Seems generally served with a slice of lemon. It's pretty tasty.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might like Moosehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. Moosehead is a VERY underated beer. One of my favorites.

See if you can find some Red Hook Blonde. I've never jocked a beer like this, but I am currently.

Stuck
07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I would think most of the beers recommended are too dark for your tastes. I'd recommend:

Peroni (Italian)
Oranjeboom (Dutch)

DMBFan23
07-13-2005, 07:49 PM
if you are in the mood for a sweet, fruity beer I would go with paulaner hefeweizen (anyone know a better one??? I'm racking my brain trying to think of a really good one and this is the best I've found) or blue moon ale.

if you're in the mood for something a little more manly, then I really like red stripe.

of course if you go to a bar or a brewery you can get [censored] on tap that I've never even heard of, and it'll probably be better. I'm just thinking of off the shelf beers

squeek12
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
So I went over to Whole Foods, and after nearly choking to death when I saw how much Duvel Belgian Ale costs, I decided to go with Rogue dead man ale. I had no idea what to expect, but I've seen Rogue being idolized so much on this forum that I thought I'd give it a shot. It's pretty darn good, but it's not quite the refreshing, crisp style that I like. BTW, Duvel Belgian Ale was like $10 plus for a 4-pack of what appeared to be 8-10 oz. bottles. Is this normal?

mmmmmbrother
07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.grolschlager.ca/content/downloads/800-3.jpg

squeek12
07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.grolschlager.ca/content/downloads/800-3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried this...meh.

Kirg
07-13-2005, 08:00 PM
<-------- I'm obviously biased but umm...yeah.

http://www.duvel.be/Images/Verre.jpgor http://www.orval.be/images/produits/brasserie/histoire/verre-rempli.gifor http://www.chimay.com/www/chimay/site8/img/a2_a1_frouge.jpg

Kirg
07-13-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I went over to Whole Foods, and after nearly choking to death when I saw how much Duvel Belgian Ale costs, I decided to go with Rogue dead man ale. I had no idea what to expect, but I've seen Rogue being idolized so much on this forum that I thought I'd give it a shot. It's pretty darn good, but it's not quite the refreshing, crisp style that I like. BTW, Duvel Belgian Ale was like $10 plus for a 4-pack of what appeared to be 8-10 oz. bottles. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I think that's pretty cheap, you'd pay about $7-$8 for that in Belgium.

stabn
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At whole foods yes. That place is $$$$

Edit. Added a $

BK_
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

http://www.duvel.be/Images/Verre.jpgor http://www.orval.be/images/produits/brasserie/histoire/verre-rempli.gifor http://www.chimay.com/www/chimay/site8/img/a2_a1_frouge.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

nice... these are my 2 favorite beers at the moment

goofball
07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I think that's pretty cheap, you'd pay about $7-$8 for that in Belgium.

[/ QUOTE ]

dead guy ale was a very good choice. where are you from (locals might be able to reccomdne more microbrews)

hotsauce615
07-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Duh... Skittle Brau ftw

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/skittlebrau%20(Custom).jpg

ThaSaltCracka
07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
where do you live?

loose passive
07-13-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.boulevard.com/images/unfilteredwheattrio.jpg

One of the best overall beers.....sadly you can not get it everywhere.

CollinEstes
07-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Local craft beer is your best bet. But you can't wrong with any Rogue or Stone brew.

Try a Stone IPA or a Rogue American Ale.

DasLeben
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try a Stone IPA

[/ QUOTE ]

He's asking for a nice mild beer. Stone of any type is automatically disqualified. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Goober
07-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Its not as light as a lager, but I think a hefeweizen (with a wedge of lemon) is the way to go. Great refreshing summer beer.

WillMagic
07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is very good and pretty easily attainable...and it fits your description of what you like.

Oh, and for whoever said Orval...that is a phenomenal beer. Yum. But it ain't light.

Will

gumpzilla
07-13-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is very good and pretty easily attainable...and it fits your description of what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy does not want a pale ale, I don't think. Too hoppy.

Rev. Good Will
07-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Molson XXX

end of thread

jrbick
07-13-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Magic Hat #9

[/ QUOTE ]

has a wicked bite at the end (if I remember correctly). I thought this was a pretty rugged taste, but it was durring my rookie years.

jrbick
07-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Stella Artois has been my go-to for quite some time now. My taste is similar to yours -- crisp, light, refreshing (the after-work beer). It is, hands down, the best out-of-bottle beer I have found so far.

CashFlo
07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
can, bottle, or tap?

Los Feliz Slim
07-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Everyone keeps banging the Stella drum so hard and so often I decided to try it...and didn't like it. Kind of a Heineken-y bitterness and aftertase. But at least now I know.

GrunchCan
07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't have figured 'light and crisp' would equate to an IPA. But many have suggested IPAs, and they are my favorite style. If you want an IPA, Dogfish makes numerous ones, and they're the nuts. Try the 60 minute. The 90 or 120 minute are probably too hoppy if you're new to the style.

If you like brown ales, the best ones IMO are Bell's Amber and Moose Drool.

Heffewiezen and other wheat beers are light and crisp - quintessential summer beers. Bell's oberon is a little lighter than most heffewiezens, but really tasty. Hoegarden, Hacker Pschoor and Franziskaner are my overall favorites.

Someone else mentiones Spotted Cow (new glarus brewing). Thats also a reallty good beer.

squeek12
07-14-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

New Orleans. You would think this town would have alot of microbreweries, but that's not the case at least in my experience. There are a couple of restaurants that brew their own stuff, but I haven't seen any of it on the shelf.

squeek12
07-14-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not as light as a lager, but I think a hefeweizen (with a wedge of lemon) is the way to go. Great refreshing summer beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the lemon standard for all hefe's? I haven't tried this and often drink Negro Modelo just so I can squeeze a lime into it.

Eurotrash
07-14-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you, sir, have great taste.

i'd also suggest Leffe Blonde and/or Hoegaarden

Stellastarr
07-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Sapporo is great.

DcifrThs
07-14-2005, 01:47 AM
f

pokerdirty
07-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Young's Dirty Dick (http://store.yahoo.com/beergeek/yodidi.html) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoegaarden is great, but $11 for a 6 pack in nyc

if you live in NY area, Brooklyn Pennant Ale is really good

Victor
07-14-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Magic Hat #9

[/ QUOTE ]

has a wicked bite at the end (if I remember correctly). I thought this was a pretty rugged taste, but it was durring my rookie years.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your mistaken. the 9 has a sweet taste with an afterstaste of apricots. its good but i get a tummyache after awhile due to the sweetness.

pokerdirty
07-14-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Magic Hat #9

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your mistaken. the 9 has a sweet taste with an afterstaste of apricots. its good but i get a tummyache after awhile due to the sweetness.

[/ QUOTE ]

it IS a fruit beer...

PorscheNGuns
07-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Drink Budweiser and stop being such a f_aggot.

-Matt

daveymck
07-14-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone keeps banging the Stella drum so hard and so often I decided to try it...and didn't like it. Kind of a Heineken-y bitterness and aftertase. But at least now I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm that that much of a fan myself I prefer the more normal tasting mainstream lagers it is slightly more bitter, but Grolch also mentioned here is disgusting very bitter.

Can also try the Spanish Favourite San Miguel is cheap and cheerful but isnt that bad.

Indian lager isnt too bad neither, Tiger Beer is the mainstream one.

Personally I drink lager more to get drunk than as a snobs choice I save that for my whisley drinking.

Skjonne
07-14-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drink Budweiser and start being such a f_aggot.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Skjonne
07-14-2005, 07:29 AM
These are both excellent lagers that I suppose are widely available in the US:

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/BBimages/Beer/000003_100.JPG http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/BBimages/Beer/000015_100.JPG

oneeye13
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Magic Hat #9

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. also vermont lager, blind faith, or whistling pig.

x2ski
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Central Waters' Mud Puppy Porter.

It's like chocolate sauce, so you probably won't like it, but I bet you will.

brassnuts
07-15-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's like chocolate sauce, so you probably won't like it, but I bet you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

*nod*

MasterShakes
07-15-2005, 02:10 AM
The Eliot Ness by Great Lakes Brewing
Dortmunder Gold by Great Lakes Brewing

irishpint
07-15-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i also enjoy staropramen

pokerdirty
07-15-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Belgians laugh at us for paying $9/6pk for their peasant beer...

and Blue Moon tastes like pumpkin pie....nasty

Kirg
07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Belgians laugh at us for paying $9/6pk for their peasant beer...

and Blue Moon tastes like pumpkin pie....nasty

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Belgian I can only say one thing to this.

Stella Artois is horsepiss. Seriously,