PDA

View Full Version : Resolution Cards

DemonDeac
07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
i dont even know what they're called. i dont know much about computers.

anyway, i always read about people saying to buy cards to get better resolution for their screens for easily multitabling. do these cards work for laptops? say, an IBM thinkpad.

it be nice to have some easier multitabling and im gonna have a thinkpad for a while

thanks guys

gusser
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
No, your laptop's video card is built into the motherboard and very few that i'm aware of have expansion slots for either a AGP or PCI card. Also your screen probably can't handle any higher res.

gus

Andrew G. N.
07-16-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont even know what they're called. i dont know much about computers.

anyway, i always read about people saying to buy cards to get better resolution for their screens for easily multitabling. do these cards work for laptops? say, an IBM thinkpad.

it be nice to have some easier multitabling and im gonna have a thinkpad for a while

thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you had the rare laptop that would allow you to upgrade your video card, the LCD (any LCD) is only meant to do one resolution. Although you can lower the resolution, things won't look nearly as crisp, because even if you only want to display 800x600, it still streaches the image to fill all 1024x768 dots/pixels. And because an LCD only has so many pixels/dots built-in, there is no way it can ever display a higher resolution. Besides price, that is the major advantage CRT monitors will always have over LCDs.

smoore
07-16-2005, 03:43 PM
There are PCMCIA (PC-Card) video adapters that would allow you to run an external display at a large resolution. The limitations of the internal LCD cannot be waived.