PDA

View Full Version : Got cute, now what to do?

mustardo
07-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Easy, generally tourney player but playing some cash at mo. No real reads on Villain, but he had played a few hands quite strangely but hadn't showed many down. He had only bought in for $25.

First of all I would normally lead out on flop but when it is this harmless I sometimes like to try a check raise to get bit more in the pot when hands I don't want to give a free card to are likely to bet anyway, and I can get a bit more out of weaker aces. When he didn't bet I obviously led the turn and was faced with the raise.

My thinking was, he probably doesn't have a six. Has he he hit a third 8, wouldn't he have bet the flop? Did my check on the turn make him think I was afraid of the ace so he might he think he can now push me off KK/QQ? Does that make this a reraise, a fold, or a call and lead river, or call and check river and decide then?

I have $58
Villain has $ 45 before hand

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. Folds to me I raise to $3, Villain Calls, Everyone else folds

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I check, MP1 checks.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I bet $5, Villain raises to $10, Hero??

The main thing on my mind is am I playing scared doing anything less than raise this, having set the trap, him falling to it and now worrying I'm somehow beat

Ta for thoughts Mussy

djoyce003
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Lead the flop here and the hand plays easier. Anytime a guy checks behind on the flop even though he was last to act, then he raises the turn, that usually screams monster at me. This guy has the 6 or AA, with the 6 being more likely. Your $3 preflop raise was pretty big and he called it..makes me wonder if he has KK or QQ as well. I think if you lead this flop then he folds those, and now he thinks they might be good and is putting you to a decision. My gut tells me you are beat here though.

deadmoney98
07-13-2005, 04:52 PM
You have the best hand. He does not think you have an ace, due to your flop check (exactly what you wanted him to think) and he is now trying to take the pot away for the least amount possible. Uh, Yeah, that's probably it. Hope so for your sake.

EDIT: as far as what to do, I probably call him down from here, which is gross, but hopefully not too expensive, and possibly profitable. Anyway, don't get cute.

lange101
07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Call, check call river if it isn't a push. If you had bet on the flop you would have a better understanding of your position. He might just have Ax, possibly AK which might be why he minraised you. Anyway, I doubt he would push the river which would be one of the only times I don't call the river.

mustardo
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Ta for the thoughts, must make it clear that I virtually never check this flop, but occasionally I might do it to mix it up if I feel the situation is right. Also this was PP100 bb$1 so the raise to $3 wasn't that large, felt therefore that AA would have probably reraised a little with so many left to act preflop.

I therefore was pretty confident the likelihood of him trying to bluff was higher than normal and I'd call the $5 and take it from there.

River brought the 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I checked and he bet $20. Giving me slightly better than 2:1 to call. Given my read and everything that had gone before I decided the chance he was bluffing was much better than 1 in 3 and called.

Results aren't really that important because what I was wondering was that given the weakness I had showed did that make this a call? FWIW however he had 44 and I took it down.

Cheers Mussy