PDA

View Full Version : Does soda really dehyrdate you?

threeonefour
07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
it seems like EVERYONE i know thinks drinking soda dehyrates you. I hear sports people talk about it a lot (a reason why they drink gatorade instead of soda at a game or whatever). But whenever someone mentions this fact to me it just seems strange. I am not saying they are wrong, but you can only last a few days without drinking water(or some form of hydration) right? Well I know a lot of people who have gone at least two days drinking nothing but mountain dew (which is gross) or coke.

Now if soda really does dehyrdrate you, then that should be worse than drinking nothing at all. I am not saying they should be dead but they should be severely dehydrated right? It turns out that they seem to be doing fine after going on these soda binges.

so whats the real story. does soda only dehyradte you in the short term{the sodium dehydrates you faster than the water in the soda hyrdates but there is so much more water that eventually it hyrdrates you)? how does that work. Carbonated water is the number one ingredient on the can, shouldn't that be a hydrating agent(other than that its just sugar and sodium)?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear sports people talk about it a lot (a reason why they drink gatorade instead of soda at a game or whatever).

[/ QUOTE ]

there are many reasons why they dont drink soft drinks at games...

threeonefour
07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, notice i said "A reason" and not "the one and only"

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
im not sure about the dehydration, but i do know that soda is really really bad for you. your either drinking like 32g of suguar (or around there) or your drinking aspartame which has been proven to leave deposits of formaldahyde in your body and possibly lead to cancer.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-13-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, notice i said "A reason" and not "the one and only"

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the main reason is the same reason they dont eat cake and smoke on the feild.

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
You really just wanted to see how many ways there are to misspell dehydrate right?

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like EVERYONE i know thinks drinking soda dehyrates you. I hear sports people talk about it a lot (a reason why they drink gatorade instead of soda at a game or whatever). But whenever someone mentions this fact to me it just seems strange. I am not saying they are wrong, but you can only last a few days without drinking water(or some form of hydration) right? Well I know a lot of people who have gone at least two days drinking nothing but mountain dew (which is gross) or coke.

Now if soda really does dehyrdrate you, then that should be worse than drinking nothing at all. I am not saying they should be dead but they should be severely dehydrated right? It turns out that they seem to be doing fine after going on these soda binges.

so whats the real story. does soda only dehyradte you in the short term{the sodium dehydrates you faster than the water in the soda hyrdates but there is so much more water that eventually it hyrdrates you)? how does that work. Carbonated water is the number one ingredient on the can, shouldn't that be a hydrating agent(other than that its just sugar and sodium)?

[/ QUOTE ]

swede123
07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really just wanted to see how many ways there are to misspell dehydrate

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is the reason for not ignoring Jake. Perhaps not a home-run but definitely a double.

Swede

Jeff W
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Soda hydrates you, but not as much as water.

Caffeine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine) is a diuretic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuretic) and causes you to piss out more water and sodium than you normally would.

siccjay
Soda is good.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
[ QUOTE ]
Soda is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

its ok

threeonefour
07-13-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You really just wanted to see how many ways there are to misspell dehydrate right?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, sorry i was multitabling... and i'm human... and a horrible speller

at anyrate ill let the mistakes stand /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
07-13-2005, 03:49 PM
All sugary things make me thirsty. I've been a long-time soda addict, as in, it's a major vice, but as much as I love it, it does make me thirsty for water after a while. I know that sometimes I've been extremely thirsty after drinking tons of soda, and drinking more just sent me into a super-craving for water.

I think I was reading that the carbon dioxide also leaches calcium from your bones or something too, but I'm not sure on that or how it works. Anyway, you weren't asking about the bad things, of which there are plenty.

Shajen
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Life is not worth living if I can't have Diet Dr Pepper.

whiskeytown
07-13-2005, 04:54 PM
no - not to a bad degree like alcohol -

trust me - my first yr. in college I don't think I ever even tasted water - it was coke the whole way - my complexion went to hell too, BTW

RB

07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Have you ever heard about people with diabetes getting really really thirsty? They have an excess of sugar in the blood at all times. They also urinate a lot when not treated. Hence - high bloodsugarlevels >>> dehydration. If there's high levels of sugar in the blood osmosis will draw sugar from the cells causing dehydration.

When a normal person consumes a lot of sugar i a short time, the insuline makes shure the excess sugar is transported into the cells, but I can imagine it takes som time. So initially a lot of sugar can be dehydrating.