PDA

View Full Version : British Law

claimsguy
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I am having a debate at work, regarding criminal law in England. Under British criminal law, is one innocent until proven guilt like the US or are you presumed guilty.

I would think common sense indicates innocent until proven guilty.

This is the only site a visit that I know has regular British posters, thanks.

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think common sense indicates innocent until proven guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny in so many ways.

swede123
07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
I believe the basics of United States law was founded on British law, so I imagine the innocent until proven guilty thing holds true overseas as well. This is all vaguely recalled from college law classes though many years ago, so I may be wrong.

Swede

ohnonotagain
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, we had the presumption of innocence before y'all in the US did. In fact, we invented it and you got it from us, along with other stuff like no arrest without due process.

We don't have the death penalty though, not even for children with mental health problems. So you're ahead of us there.

Oh no!! Not again!

claimsguy
07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, I knew the US took its common law system from England, but was unsure on criminal procedure.

tek
07-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Do you mean before or after the USA"Patriot" Act /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brain
07-15-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, we had the presumption of innocence before y'all in the US did. In fact, we invented it and you got it from us, along with other stuff like no arrest without due process.

We don't have the death penalty though, not even for children with mental health problems. So you're ahead of us there.

Oh no!! Not again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute...When did this become Queen's English? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sheriff Fatman
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Innocent until proven guilty although in recent years that's been superceded by the 'victim gets worse punishment than the offender' rule.

Sheriff

Brainwalter
07-15-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh no!! Not again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute...When did this become Queen's English? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that pretty funny too.

poker-penguin
07-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Only the USA is civilized enough to have innocent till proven guilty.

The British legal system still determines guilt or innocence with trial by ordeal.