PDA

View Full Version : Calling a "bluff" with Ace-high

Jesse Richman
02-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Haven't posted in a long long time, but I'm trying to get back to it, and this situation had me thinking.

What is your default play when a weak, predictable opponent bets into you on the river heads-up with what you have read as a busted flush draw and you hold an Ace-high?

Generally I'll call them down, however in an 8 hour session this weekend, I had four times where I did this only to be shown that while my read was correct, my opponent had made a baby pair on the river. Obviously, this got me thinking that maybe I should be raising instead of calling in these situations. Of course, the downside is that if my read is off and my opponent does have a made hand it's cost me an extra bet (I don't think I'd have much trouble throwing away my Ace-high to a reraise in these situations). Those few lost bets, however, would seem to be more than compensated for by the occasional large pot picked up when it works.

Obviously, this thinking was seriously influenced by one session, which tends to be bad practice; it may be simply that this one session was particularly abberant. Still, I'd love some feedback.

SoBeDude
02-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Hmm. Weak-predictable.

What is you read on his river betting standards? Will he only bet if he paired up? will he try to bluff after missing his flush?

we don't all define things the same but in "MY" concept of weak-predictable they'd check the river without a pair.

-Scott

Jesse Richman
02-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Well in the specific situation I was working with, this player will ALWAYS bluff on the river if he misses his flush, without taking into account whether he's made a small pair on the end or not.

Ed Miller
02-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Then with this player you should consider raising with unimproved Ace-high instead of just calling. Against most opponents, though, you should just call.

SoBeDude
02-17-2003, 09:41 PM
I totally agree with Majorkong here. If he will basically always bet with a busted draw then you should be raising with ace-high against him heads up. its a major +EV play. I'll also probably drive him off some of his smaller pairs here as well.

take his money.

-Scott