PDA

View Full Version : ps 5/10. setting a trap, gone wrong?

THWAP!
07-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Here is the hand. I just lost a pair+ flush draw type hand all in against a somewha donkish opponent.

next hand, i get dealt kk. ep raises, dude calls (they're both short), i push, no one calls. i'm making it seem like i'm on tilt.

the very next hand, I get dealt AA. folded to me. I make a tilty looking raise to 75. here is the hand.

my read of situation: clearly, everyone now thinks i'm tilting. villain in this hand: he's loose aggressive. like, very loose. he'd chilled out a bit up until now, but he's still loose aggressive. so, i played this hand as a trap.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($1067)
Hero ($1075)
CO ($347)
Button ($1095.75)
SB ($222)
BB ($123.05)
UTG ($185)
UTG+1 ($204.90)
MP1 ($397.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($165) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $60</font>, Hero calls $60.

Turn: ($285) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $140</font>, Hero calls $140.

River: ($565) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $820.75 (All-In)</font>, Hero ?????

three things:

(1) jesus h christ, i wish i had defined this hand earlier

(2) what do you think of the line i took on all sts

(3) given the action to this point, call or fold?

Final Pot: $2185.75

hotkelly
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
1. I raise his flop bet of 60 to 175. If he calls or re-raises, I push on turn. I think you waited too long to raise and maniac beat you to it.

2. I fold the River all day long on this hand. Pot size of 500 does not warrant calling another 800 to find out he has you beat.

canis582
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Over pair no Goot. The thing with AA and the like is that you want to get your money in PF or on the flop when you are still the favorite vs. drawing hands.

thabadguy
07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I think i call. You said the table thought u were tilting, so you wouldnt mind calling with a diamond draw etc. and could be raising trash preflop. Also does he call/reraise with TT-KK preflop?A lotta lag's will reraise(myself included) so its an important question. I think I pay off a set here, just because he overbet doesnt mean he has u beat.
I think you get shown a broadway ace/ TT-QQ here.

Leptyne
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I'd like to offer a constructive comment but I don't know how. Thats certainly a strange way to play AA, in fact I don't believe I've seen that before. I'm also confused by the LAG's total lack of aggression until the river push.

I guess this hand pretty well fits the description of your setting the trap. If I'm villain I think you've got maybe AK and I step into your well set trap. Since you designed this trap why would you even hesitate. Looks like an insta-call as you slam the trap shut.

capone0
07-13-2005, 04:13 PM
This is why you don't just cold call with big hands after the flop, you have 0 idea of where the player is at all streets. He could have backdoored a flush, he could have set, he could have nothing. Because you just check-called weak tighted his @ss you have no idea what he has, and on the river he's putting you to a test instead of the reverse. You can't win this hand playing this way, you might be trapping, but after the flop you might be behind, you never know with check calling with Aces after the flop.

AZK
07-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I like a turn check-raise here...

flawless_victory
07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(3) given the action to this point

[/ QUOTE ]i thought this is what you wanted??

Rotating Rabbit
07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Surely if you really were angry you'd bet this flop. If you really want to represent the tilt maybe check raise the flop.

As it stands it looks like the whole table expects you to call the river, thus fold.

9cao
07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Looks like it could be a missed draw with overbet but if he really believed you were tilting he could easily have a set. I also would not be surprised if Villain backed into flush. 820 for 1370?? I fold.

AZK
07-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't fold this, probably based solely on my current image... it's very easy to see him doing this with a large range of hands (anything from a busted draw to JJ), I think you are good here at least 60% of the time.

Edit: How does button bet his hands, his flop bet does seem a bit weird...

THWAP!
07-13-2005, 05:18 PM
After thinking about it, I called.

My reasoning for the way I played the hand was the following. I check/called the flop and turn intending to make it seem like I had a bit of a draw. I checked the river, making it seem like I gave up. I know it was weird.

I was tempted to check/raise the turn, but I figured that I would only get called by a better hand (like a set). Since he was betting pretty small, I figured that he was trying to milk me/get the pot cheap. Plus, it didn't seem like I was that strong. And frankly, I was ok with that.

The only hand that I was really worried about drawing was something like the flush draw w overs or something like JT. and if either of those draws got completed, then i'd reevaluate. If he had a set, i was going to pay it off. and even so, i doubt he would've bet all that much.

given all this, I decided to call. the big bet seemed more like desperation or even something crazy like QQ.

Oops. He had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for top pair turned into backdoor nutflush.

Comments on any of this?

durrrr
07-13-2005, 06:19 PM
y, y, y check the flop?
you said villain thinks you are tilting- and he did call 7.5x bb w/ A9, do you think he is going to try and bluff some1 on tilt (doesnt sound like he is retarted), he may however overcall you assuming u are tilting and overrating your own hands. UGLY flop check- you were getting stacked anyway, but if you pot the flop, then all the $$ goes in on the turn (or at least a least most of it) while you are still ahead. I'd be more afraid to let him get away from a 2nd best hand than to have him beat me, that being said fold the river I guess but I dont know I'd never put myself in this spot. You know he probably isn't trying to bluff you on river (since your a tilty maniac) is he mayb overvalueing QQ because he thinks your tilting? Ugly spot.

Next time some donkey calls 7.5x bb preflop and you have AA dont get tricky, they obviously cant find their fold button, push it in quik before they do.

-durrrr

BobboFitos
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BobboFitos
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had a set, i was going to pay it off

[/ QUOTE ]

then you really need to do something to protect your hand on the turn

[ QUOTE ]
I was tempted to check/raise the turn, but I figured that I would only get called by a better hand (like a set).

[/ QUOTE ]

a. thats not true
b. thats ok

swolfe
07-13-2005, 11:43 PM
why would you check the flop? lead and if he calls or raises, then check-push the turn.

canis582
07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
See, you were ahead of him until the river, then you got all your chips in. Bad for you, goot for him.

fsuplayer
07-14-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, all in.

Leptyne
07-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Durrr pretty well nailed it for me. Like Brunson says, you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one. This is a classic example where you could have won a small one.