PDA

View Full Version : pet peeve rant - 'I put you all in'

other1
07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Just venting..

I hate when people say 'I put you all in' or something to that effect. You can't put me all in, you can only put yourself all in! I also hate when someone bets exactly as much as you have. That happens more online since in B&M you can't always get an exact count.

Anyway.. I was playing a b&m tourny yesterday. I go heads up in to the flop with an older guy in a wheelchair. After the flop hits he announces 'Im all in'. Then he looks over at me says.. 'Whats he got.. about 2000?' and puts 2 1k chips in front of his cards. I turn to the dealer (I happen to be in seat 1) and say 'Is he all in or is he betting 2000?'. A couple of table captains immediately jump in and start berrating me saying it doesn't matter. I continue to talk only to the dealer and say 'How many chips I have doesn't matter, he has to bet an amount.'. The dealer says 'He is all in.'. One of the table captains says to the old man 'He wants you to put all your chips in' and he angrily does saying 'what difference does it make?!'.

Anyway, once he puts all his chips in I think for a moment and muck my hand. The old guy pulls the pot and announces 'Too much poker on TV.. Thats the problem.' My reply is 'Sorry I wasn't born before television.'.

Yes, thats right, talking [censored] to and old guy in a wheelchair. It was a proud moment for me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Of course I was an [censored], but I /really/ hate this little betting ploy. BTW - I made nice with the old guy later, I'm not actually a horrible person.

MrDannimal
07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
In situations where it truly doesn't matter, I don't have a problem with it.

It's quicker to say "I put you all in" (which, as you pointed out, isn't literal) than to ask for a chip count and then declare that amount as the bet. Presumeably, you know how much you have, and thus you (the only person that matters at this point) know exactly how much the bet you would need to call is.

In this particular case, the old guy did both (thus not saving any time), so it's kind of lame. Overall, though, it's not a big deal.

Online, it's a no-win. For every person like you who doesn't like someone betting exactly what the opponent has when heads up, there's another who gets upset when the player with more chips pushes all in when they could have just bet what the other guy had.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I prefer to push in my obviously much larger chip stack and then ask if I have the other guy covered. It's a real crowd-pleaser.

joshman1204
07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
LMAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laomedon
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Try betting .01 less than the other person has online... That really upsets people.

coffeecrazy1
07-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I actually bet exactly what people have left all the time, usually when I have what I think is the winner, because it seems like such a dig. Now, I'm not saying that the old man was doing this, but if you were playing me, you would almost certainly see me do this to someone.

It's a great betting move, and an effective tool...especially if you want a call.

TheCroShow
07-13-2005, 03:34 PM
i know one guy that says, "i ca' you ah' in." man that drives me NUTS! at least he doesn't "call and raise" like some like to do..i played against some old dude who kept string betting, he did not understand the concept and saw nothing wrong with it, he would nod and say "i call and put you all in." sigh...frustrating yes, unfortunately not much you can do about it.

chesspain
07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also hate when someone bets exactly as much as you have. That happens more online since in B&M you can't always get an exact count.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like someone who is super easy to put on tilt.

other1
07-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, I think I do have a problem with that, but.. In thise case note that I did fold, which I'm sure was the right thing to do. So he pissed me off, but he didn't succeed in having it change my decision.

tripp0807
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, thats right, talking [censored] to and old guy in a wheelchair. It was a proud moment for me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal, you did something to a guy in a wheelchair that would have been perfectly acceptable to do to someone who wasn't. Did you do it because he was in a wheelchair? No - so it doesn't matter.

Some people gave me a bunch of crap in Vegas once because I showed a bluff to a deaf guy who waved his hand at me as if to say, "Pathetic." I had been watching him read lips for a while, so I looked directly at him and said, "Shut up, it worked." He knew exactly what I said and laughed and rapped the table. Still, some people gave me looks and one said, "come on, he's deaf." I didn't do it because I was deaf.

Insulting a handicapped person for a reason other than their handicap is no more "egregious" than insulting a non-handicapped person.

-Tripp

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal, you did something to a guy in a wheelchair that would have been perfectly acceptable to do to someone who wasn't. Did you do it because he was in a wheelchair? No - so it doesn't matter.

Some people gave me a bunch of crap in Vegas once because I showed a bluff to a deaf guy who waved his hand at me as if to say, "Pathetic." I had been watching him read lips for a while, so I looked directly at him and said, "Shut up, it worked." He knew exactly what I said and laughed and rapped the table. Still, some people gave me looks and one said, "come on, he's deaf." I didn't do it because I was deaf.

Insulting a handicapped person for a reason other than their handicap is no more "egregious" than insulting a non-handicapped person.

-Tripp

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant. Now answer me this: am I allowed to punch a person who has glasses on?

Ghazban
07-13-2005, 04:18 PM
This irritates the heck out of me, too. I play a lot of live NL cash games and its quite common.

I must admit that I enjoy it when they tell me they'll put me all-in when I've got the nuts....

wslee00
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
well look at this situation
you (300)
villain 1 (100)
villain 2 (400)

You want to put villain 1 all-in, but you don't want to go all-in yourself. In this situation, I would say, "I put villain 1 all-in" meaning I will only put in 100, NOT my entire stack. I'm just saying that there are uses for the "I put you allin" line.

BottlesOf
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Your pet peeve is retarded, and your rant is totally misplaced.

However, this:
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, thats right, talking [censored] to and old guy in a wheelchair. It was a proud moment for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

is awesome.

Bill Bixby
07-13-2005, 04:40 PM
im glad you made good with this guy because what you did was really shitty. I dont care if I get banned for saying so. Hes right, to much poker on TV has brought about nothing but smartasses.

other1
07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Why? Just bet 100. I'm pretty sure villian knows how much he has. This seems horrible in this situation.. Its a clear indicator to villian 2 that he can just push and steal you're bet.

yellowjack
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
When people bet saying "I call your allin!", what the hell. No one bet yet, and you cannot "call" someone's all-in because they haven't put another chip in the pot.

Is there actually some logic behind the statement or is it actually as absurd as it sounds?

other1
07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
You wouldn't be an old man in a wheelchair by any chance, would you?

djoyce003
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I put you all in.

pudley4
07-13-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just venting..

I hate when people say 'I put you all in' or something to that effect. You can't put me all in, you can only put yourself all in!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so someone uses a colloquialism and you're all pissy about it. Nice.

We all know they are saying "I am betting exactly the amount required to put you all-in", it's just a shorter way of saying it.

[ QUOTE ]
I also hate when someone bets exactly as much as you have. That happens more online since in B&M you can't always get an exact count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting upset about it is pretty retarded. Maybe some players are more likely to call because it's "only" 1000 (the amount they have left) as opposed to seeing a huge 10,000 bet come at them.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway.. I was playing a b&m tourny yesterday. I go heads up in to the flop with an older guy in a wheelchair. After the flop hits he announces 'Im all in'. Then he looks over at me says.. 'Whats he got.. about 2000?' and puts 2 1k chips in front of his cards. I turn to the dealer (I happen to be in seat 1) and say 'Is he all in or is he betting 2000?'.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already said he's all-in, why are you trying to be such a douche about it? You know that if you call, you're calling all-in.

[ QUOTE ]
I continue to talk only to the dealer and say 'How many chips I have doesn't matter, he has to bet an amount.'.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already did - he bet all-in, as you already know.

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer says 'He is all in.'. One of the table captains says to the old man 'He wants you to put all your chips in' and he angrily does saying 'what difference does it make?!'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - why does it matter if the rest of his chips (which aren't at risk) are in the pot or making up a side pot, or still sitting in front of him?

Nit.

belloc
07-13-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all know they are saying "I am betting exactly the amount required to put you all-in", it's just a shorter way of saying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghazban
07-13-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well look at this situation
you (300)
villain 1 (100)
villain 2 (400)

You want to put villain 1 all-in, but you don't want to go all-in yourself. In this situation, I would say, "I put villain 1 all-in" meaning I will only put in 100, NOT my entire stack. I'm just saying that there are uses for the "I put you allin" line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can do this in a multiway pot. You need to bet a specific amount, not "however much the 3 seat has". It would be retarded to bet the short stack's amount if it would pot-commit you if the other big stack raises anyway and, if it wouldn't, you should be thinking more about the other big stack than about making sure you get every last chip from shorty.

BottlesOf
07-13-2005, 05:34 PM
heh, i am not.

bernie
07-13-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the flop hits he announces 'Im all in'. Then he looks over at me says.. 'Whats he got.. about 2000?' and puts 2 1k chips in front of his cards. I turn to the dealer (I happen to be in seat 1) and say 'Is he all in or is he betting 2000?'. I continue to talk only to the dealer and say 'How many chips I have doesn't matter, he has to bet an amount.'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why ask this question and waste more time?

I love guys who hold up the game when it's obvious what the other guy is doing. You're HU, when he says all in, it's obvious the amount he bet. What part of him saying he's all in don't you understand as being an amount that he's betting?

b

other1
07-13-2005, 05:49 PM
The part where he placed 2 1000 chips in front of his cards and left all the rest of them behind the cards.

I'm not stupid, obviously I understand what he was doing. I don't think I ever implied I didn't. If anyone read the subject, this is a rant about a pet peeve I've mine. I think its [censored] move so I was an [censored] back. That is all. I really don't give a crap if it bothers anyone else.

bernie
07-13-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The part where he placed 2 1000 chips in front of his cards and left all the rest of them behind the cards.

I'm not stupid, obviously I understand what he was doing. I don't think I ever implied I didn't. If anyone read the subject, this is a rant about a pet peeve I've mine. I think its [censored] move so I was an [censored] back. That is all. I really don't give a crap if it bothers anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who ever said poker is a selfish and egotistical game???

b

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't usually say this, but I'm sorry I read this thread. Who really cares what terminology they use? You know what they mean and you are just tilting yourself off and probably making an incorrect call or fold somewhere down the line as a result.

other1
07-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Thats ok, I'm sorry I posted it too. I was just venting, I didn't intend, or want, to start a discussion.

MicroBob
07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
If I was the old guy when you asked me "Is it $2000 or is it all-in?" I would have said, "Well....I can't decide....maybe I should bet $3,793.57 instead. Would that make you happy?"

Putting the $2k in chips out there when he is all-in is MUCH easier.
If you win the hand then they just move the $2k in chips over to you and he doesn't have to unnecssarily have to push the rest of his chips forward just to pull them back again.

I've played in tournaments where the player who says "all-in" doesn't move a single chip forward. He's already declared he's all-in so he doesn't have to.
I've also been in tournaments where the big-stack starts to push his chips forward against an all-in and is told to NOT push the rest of his chips because he has obviously pushed enough to cover the other guy....so moving the rest of the chips forward, if awkward, isn't necessary.

Seriously.....asking the dealer "is it $2,000 or is it all-in?" is being a TOTAL douche.
I'm usually a nit about the rules btw.....but this is REALLY retarded since it's the same freaking thing.
I would be willing to bet that somewhere the rules actually do NOT require him to specifically state one or the other. You have $2k in chips...if he bets more than that and has you covered then that ends it. No clarification is necessary.

soah
07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Reading this post may have lowered my IQ.

Evan
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
You're being a nit for no reason.

Ulysses
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Instead of whining like a little baby, learn to get better at poker. Then you will have more chips than the other guys and they can't say that to you.

other1
07-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow, thanks for the awesome advice. Have your 11690 other posts been this enlightening?

Al_Capone_Junior
07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love guys who hold up the game when it's obvious what the other guy is doing. You're HU, when he says all in, it's obvious the amount he bet. What part of him saying he's all in don't you understand as being an amount that he's betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Also, if you have $200, we're heads up, I say "all-in," then I put up $200 of my $500, what DIFFERENCE does it make already whether I put up $200 or $500?

Answer: none.

It would make a difference if it wasn't heads up, or if they bettor couldn't cover one or more of his opponents. Otherwise, it makes no difference.

move on, next topic!! Friggin' nits! /images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll kick 'em in the nuts! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

al

SamIAm
07-13-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats ok, I'm sorry I posted it too. I was just venting, I didn't intend, or want, to start a discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]You should open notepad.exe and type this garbage there. At least then all the people reading it will agree with you.
-Sam

Ulysses
07-14-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks for the awesome advice. Have your 11690 other posts been this enlightening?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't be bitter because you're a nit who isn't very good at poker. Nits rarely are.

KenProspero
07-14-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway.. I was playing a b&m tourny yesterday. I go heads up in to the flop with an older guy in a wheelchair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, was the older guy from Miami, and where were you playing.

Last week, had an older guy in a wheelchair we were were on the bubble at Mandalay Morining $30 buy in tourney

I'm SB, he's BB. After posting SB, I have exactly 1 chip left. He has more chips than I do, but not enough to cover the BB.

One player calls his bet, and being dealt crapola, I fold. He starts telling me that It was a wrong play not putting in my last chip -- because I would have finished ahead of him if we both went out.

A couple of minutes after he left, I realized he was wrong, since he started with more chips than I before posting the blinds. (Besides the fact that I had three hands for someone else to bust out before I even had to play my chip, which almost happened).

He obviously wasn't trying to pull a fast one, since he correctly didn't say anything till after I folded, but was wondering if it was the same guy.

bernie
07-14-2005, 12:56 AM
You need a moving avatar to go along with your tagline.

b

other1
07-14-2005, 01:21 AM
This was in AC, so I doubt it.

sully4321
07-14-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hilarious. to original post; i completely agree. no you don't [censored] "put me all in"... i put myself all in -- and that's IF i want to call.

if somebody wants to "put you all in" they should just say "i'm all in" then sit and wait.

razor
07-14-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome post...

IgnoredUsers++

tripp0807
07-14-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Tripp

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant. Now answer me this: am I allowed to punch a person who has glasses on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, talk about nitpicking. You go out of your way to pick one of the few situations where what I'm saying doesn't apply, and call me an idiot. I don't remember saying a thing about using physical force. In fact, if you reread my post, it specifically says "insulting," and mentions nothing about hitting people. I was only talking about saying things.

Get a life.

-Tripp

SamIAm
07-14-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Jeez, talk about nitpicking. You go out of your way to pick one of the few situations where what I'm saying doesn't apply, and call me an idiot. I don't remember saying a thing about using physical force. In fact, if you reread my post, it specifically says "insulting," and mentions nothing about hitting people. I was only talking about saying things.

Get a life.

-Tripp

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm. I'm pretty sure Patrick sincerely liked your post, and then made a joking reference to a cliche. Note: his reply was one line.

Then you (having "gotten a life", I suppose) go off, ranting about how he "called you an idiot"?

Oh, the irony. I don't think anybody called you an idiot. Oh! Except I am, now.
-Sam

tripp0807
07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Jeez, talk about nitpicking. You go out of your way to pick one of the few situations where what I'm saying doesn't apply, and call me an idiot. I don't remember saying a thing about using physical force. In fact, if you reread my post, it specifically says "insulting," and mentions nothing about hitting people. I was only talking about saying things.

Get a life.

-Tripp

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm. I'm pretty sure Patrick sincerely liked your post, and then made a joking reference to a cliche. Note: his reply was one line.

Then you (having "gotten a life", I suppose) go off, ranting about how he "called you an idiot"?

Oh, the irony. I don't think anybody called you an idiot. Oh! Except I am, now.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

If I misunderstood the post, I apologize. I'm having a rotten day, which doesn't excuse me getting my panties in a bunch (assuming that I misunderstood the post).

beerbandit
07-14-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO GET DELICATE AGAIN. HE MOUNTED ME AND PROCEEDED TO USE ME THE WAY PRISONERS USE EACH OTHER. EVERYBODY IN THE POKER ROOM JUST STARED AND LAUGHED AS IT WAS HAPPENING. WHEN IT WAS FINALLY OVER HE SMILED AND ASKED ME "WHO WAS ALL IN THAT TIME?" BUT I SMILED LAST WHEN I CASHED IN ALL HIS CHIPS. SEE YA AND WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA, YOU FAT HUMPS

[/ QUOTE ]

Bosyn
07-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I am someone who has said this in the past and I had not really thought about it. Now that I have I will continue to do so for 2 reasons.

1. It helps me get a read on my opponent. It is a psychological thing, I'm going to make you put up all your money, but I'm not risking all mine.

2. I see it the same as me saying I'm all in.

Shoe
07-17-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the old guys play here, especially if it was just you and him heads up. And if you and him were not heads up, he could move more chips in if someone with a bigger stack called. No reason to make someone move chips into the pot that are obviously not going to be used.

Triumph36
07-17-2005, 12:42 PM
I once played with some nit like you, an older Middle Eastern man who refused to give a count of his chips, and said "at a ring game you can't ask how many chips I have" when someone said "I set you all-in."

A game will run much smoother where people say, I set you all-in, even if grammarians and other nits have to cover their ears every time they hear it.

TheCroShow
07-17-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I once played with some nit like you, an older Middle Eastern man who refused to give a count of his chips, and said "at a ring game you can't ask how many chips I have" when someone said "I set you all-in."

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, is it relevant that he was middle-eastern? not once have i read in this thread "....some white guy.." lol it's just funny IMO

Offsprung
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try betting .01 less than the other person has online... That really upsets people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then nearly timeout calling his AI raise? That would piss me off. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doc7
07-17-2005, 04:11 PM
But then you can muck your cards without showing : )

pudley4
07-17-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO GET DELICATE AGAIN. HE MOUNTED ME AND PROCEEDED TO USE ME THE WAY PRISONERS USE EACH OTHER. EVERYBODY IN THE POKER ROOM JUST STARED AND LAUGHED AS IT WAS HAPPENING. WHEN IT WAS FINALLY OVER HE SMILED AND ASKED ME "WHO WAS ALL IN THAT TIME?" BUT I SMILED LAST WHEN I CASHED IN ALL HIS CHIPS. SEE YA AND WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA, YOU FAT HUMPS

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss JOEYBITCH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooks
07-17-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I once played with some nit like you, an older Middle Eastern man who

[/ QUOTE ]just curious, is it relevant that he was middle-eastern?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it relevant that he was older? What if he was an older Middle Eastern guy in a wheel chair who was deaf and spoke with a drawl?

The answer is usually yes. It often helps flesh out the story and paint a picture that sets the scene in the readers mind.

Trainwreck
07-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Yeah AL! All nits need not post! LOL!

Remove the corn cob people, even if you must go to the ER!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

>TW<

MrStretchie
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im glad you made good with this guy because what you did was really shitty. I dont care if I get banned for saying so. Hes right, to much poker on TV has brought about nothing but smartasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every one of your posts I've read has made some reference to your fear of being banned. I think you should be banned for that. Seriously.

Slow Play Ray
07-19-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put you all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice avatar.

IceKing
07-20-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hilarious. to original post; i completely agree. no you don't [censored] "put me all in"... i put myself all in -- and that's IF i want to call.

if somebody wants to "put you all in" they should just say "i'm all in" then sit and wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just dont get it... How does it feel to be a nit and stupid?! I put everyone of you all-in! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ilovephysics
07-20-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually bet exactly what people have left all the time, usually when I have what I think is the winner, because it seems like such a dig. Now, I'm not saying that the old man was doing this, but if you were playing me, you would almost certainly see me do this to someone.

It's a great betting move, and an effective tool...especially if you want a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I was thinking something along the opposite lines, but I guess it depends largely on the player you are up against.

scrapperdog
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I was thinking something along the opposite lines, but I guess it depends largely on the player you are up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the persons got 20 bucks left and it is heads up and you want a call you are better off just betting the 20 bucks IMO. There is something about betting 150 dollars into someone who has 20 bucks on the table that makes them less likely to call...

Kyo Souma II
07-21-2005, 01:03 AM
"I call and I call you all in."

Yes. It was a string bet and a half.

-kyo

Guthrie
07-21-2005, 01:54 PM
So what you're saying is you were owned by an old guy in a wheel chair?

other1
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
It took you eight days to respond and thats the best you could come up with? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ezratei
07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this tactic too but it is not without major risk! When the guy goes all in over the top of you for .01, you have to click the call button ... i have yet to fold by accident when i am getting 50,000 to 1 odds but the mere possibility of this happening is enough to keep me up at night.