PDA

View Full Version : Golf tomorrow - help!

Yeti
07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Tomorrow I go play golf for the first time in about 8 years. I have been a few times in the past with my uncle, who is a pretty damn good senior, but I wasn't that great at all back then.

I fear I will be even worse now.

Someone gimme some quick tips. Thanks.

MoreWineII
07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Be sure to yell "fore!"

kyro
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to yell "fore!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

Yeti
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to yell "fore!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That would probably involve getting the ball off the ground.

offTopic
07-13-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tomorrow I go play golf for the first time in about 8 years. I have been a few times in the past with my uncle, who is a pretty damn good senior, but I wasn't that great at all back then.

I fear I will be even worse now.

Someone gimme some quick tips. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. "If you're laying up, lay up to a distance where you can make a normal full swing."

4. "If you're faced with a long putt that you'd be satisfied to get within tap in length, then imagine a 3 foot radius circle around the hole and just try to get the ball into that imaginary circle."

3. "One way to read putts is to hang your putter vertically in front of your dominant eye while standing behind the ball, in line with the hole and your ball. If the shaft is not in line with the hole, then putt breaks to the side the hole is on." This is called "plum-bobbing".

2. "On the backswing, you should shift your weight to your back foot. Then on the downswing, your weight should shift to the front foot."

1. "Keep the putterhead low to the ground throughout the stroke."

holeplug
07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Go to the driving range and just hit a bucket or two. At least make sure you can hit your 3 wood decent so you don't embarrass yourself on the 1st tee when theres 5 groups watching behind you.

chaas4747
07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Show up drunk, then when you play bad just keep repeating, "God I am so [censored] up I can't even play."

Yeti
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Show up drunk, then when you play bad just keep repeating, "God I am so [censored] up I can't even play."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this suggestion.

groo
07-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Thats hilarious /images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a serious note......have fun, be polite, don't hold up your playing partners or the group behind you, drink a few beers to relax.

Firefly
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
It's all in the hips!

Cancer Merchant
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
If you have time to practice beforehand, spend twice as much
time on the putting clock than the driving range. Getting
rid of some of the 3-putts will make the day go much better.

wayabvpar
07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Don't buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it.

Never try to keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.

When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls.

If you're afraid a full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting out, you have two options: you can immediately shank a lay-up or you can wait until the green is clear and top a ball halfway there.

The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about the golf swing.

No matter how bad you are playing, it is always possible to play worse.

The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one critical unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all of your many other errors.

If it isn't broke, try changing your grip.

Golfers who claim they don't cheat also lie.

Everyone replaces his divot after a perfect approach shot.

A golf match is a test of your skill against your opponents luck.

It is surprisingly easy to hole a fifty-foot putt...for an 8.

Counting on your opponent to inform you when he breaks a rule is like
expecting him to make fun of his own haircut.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

It's not a gimme if you're still away.

The shortest distance between any two points on a golf course is a straight line that passes directly through the center of a very large tree.

There are two kinds of bounces; unfair bounces and bounces just the way you meant to play it.

You can hit a two-acre fairway 10% of the time and a two-inch branch 90% of the time.

If you really want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.

The game of golf is 90% mental and 10% mental.

Since bad shots come in groups of three, a fourth bad shot is actually the
beginning of the next group of three.

When you look up, causing an awful shot, you will always look down again at exactly the moment when you ought to start watching the ball if you ever want to see it again.

Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.

If you want to hit a 7 iron as far as Tiger Woods does, simply try to lay-up ..just short of a water hazard.

To calculate the speed of a players downswing, multiply the speed of his
back-swing by his handicap; i.e., back-swing 20 mph, handicap 15, downswing = 300 mph.

There are two things you can learn by stopping your back swing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Hazards attract, fairways repel.

You can put a draw on the ball, you can put a fade on the ball, but no
golfer can put a straight on the ball.

A ball you can see in the rough from 50 yards away is not yours. If there
is a ball in the fringe and a ball in the bunker, your ball is in the bunker.
If both balls are in the bunker, yours is in the footprint.

Boris
07-13-2005, 02:13 PM
get a cart.

think nice thoughts.

bring a 6 pack.

bring a pack of cigarettes.

you're fvcked.

bd8802
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

5. "If you're laying up, lay up to a distance where you can make a normal full swing."

4. "If you're faced with a long putt that you'd be satisfied to get within tap in length, then imagine a 3 foot radius circle around the hole and just try to get the ball into that imaginary circle."

3. "One way to read putts is to hang your putter vertically in front of your dominant eye while standing behind the ball, in line with the hole and your ball. If the shaft is not in line with the hole, then putt breaks to the side the hole is on." This is called "plum-bobbing".

2. "On the backswing, you should shift your weight to your back foot. Then on the downswing, your weight should shift to the front foot."

1. "Keep the putterhead low to the ground throughout the stroke."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Yeti
07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I parred a 210 yard par 3. Yeah, I pwn.

MoreWineII
07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Don't leave us hangin' - what'd you shoot?

Yeti
07-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Ah, who knows. Loads. We played a round of 9 holes at two different courses. Mostly par 3s with the odd 4.

It took me about 10 swings to hit the ball off the first tee, and I lost two balls in my first three shots.

By the end I was driving it dead straight ~200 yards, made the par I mentioned and made a green off the tee on another but 3-putted.

Enjoyed it. I have caught the bug.

Sully
07-15-2005, 12:38 AM
You are in a perfect spot. There is so much you can get out of this game, but now it will take a little work, and a lot of patience.

Have someone who is knowledgable take a look at your grip. Everything starts there. It is the hardest thing to fix if you learn the wrong way, so get it right early. Right now, it probably won't feel good, or normal, or even possible. If that's the case, then you're probably doing it right.

Everything else will come from there. Make sure you go to the range and hit a lot of balls with the correct grip. If you have any athletic ablility, your swing will figure itself out at some point, as natural ability will take over.

Finally....chip and putt. Chip and putt. Chip and putt. Chip and putt. After that, chip and putt.

Try different clubs around the green...use a sand wedge all the way down to a seven iron for chips, and see how they react. Get a feel for the flight. If you're really hooked, make little games for yourself and try to beat your own chipping / putting records. It's amazing how an hour can disappear.

And when you are on the course, don't be afraid to ask someone if you are doing something wrong, as far as etiquitte goes. People will play with anyone who respects the game enough to ask, and they will forgive your mistakes, if you are making a genuine effort.

I'd much rather play with a guy having fun and shooting 130 in an efficient manner than with a guy who is miserable and slow on his way to 85. A love for the game is contagious, and if you are having fun learning, people will be happy to play with you.

jnalpak
07-15-2005, 12:43 AM
keep your eye on the fruit

ClaytonN
07-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Ignore the rest of the advice

Work on chip shots around the green (if you can) with a seven iron. This will help you more than any full swing drill people could help you with.