PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Comedy of the last 30 years - At-Large Bids

swede123
07-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I want to narrow down the field to 64 movies. I've already taken the liberty to pick 32 of them as automatic qualifiers based on overall ratings, how many times they were mentioned in the nomination thread and and so on. This leaves 82 movies that have to be whittled down to 32. Pick up to 20 choices from the following list that you feel should be included in the poll.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I know this is going to end up pissing me off. It's REALLY hard to pick just 20 of these.

Soul Daddy
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Impossible.

MoreWineII
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't understand the infatuation with Supertroopers.

FouTight
07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the infatuation with Supertroopers.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's more or less hilarious

like that scene in the resturaunt, where they dressed like "bikers"

man, comeon

dabluebery
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Where is the list of movies that qualified automatically?

swede123
07-13-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane
Animal House
Annie Hall
Austin Powers
Best in Show
Blues Brothers
Caddyshack
Clerks
Dumb and Dumber
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Groundhog Day
Hannah and Her Sisters
Manhattan
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python and the Life of Brian
Mrs. Doubtfire
Naked Gun
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's Vacation
Office Space
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Something About Mary
The Big Lebowski
The Birdcage
The History of the World Part 1
This is Spinal Tap
Tommy Boy
Tootsie
Trading Places
Up in Smoke
Zoolander

Soul Daddy
07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Mrs. Doubtfire?

CollinEstes
07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Good list, you point alot of work into this thing. Nice.

But Zoolander can hold swingers jock.

lucas9000
07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
i can already tell that this whole thing is [censored] from the start. the fact that you need a separate poll to decide whether movies like ghostbusters, ace ventura, billy madison, raising arizona, etc even make it into the top 64 is damning.

lucas9000
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM
mrs. doubtfire???? christmas vacation???? i call bullshit.

pheasant tail (no 18)
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM
After viewing the results of the poll, I'd be suprised if many of the voters were even of movie viewing age in 1990, let alone 1975.

Yeti
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
WTF is no-one voting for Top Secret!?

You guys baffle me.

FouTight
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After viewing the results of the poll, I'd be suprised if many of the voters were even of movie viewing age in 1990, let alone 1975.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and, since a movie can only be played once, this is goign to create problems

Grisgra
07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Princess Bride. I loved Princess Bride, but it's one of those Action/Comedy hybrids like Midnight Run. And Ruthless People is some funny [censored]. Probably too old for the youngin's here, which is why crap like Super Troopers is getting so many votes.

DMBFan23
07-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I can't believe Mrs Doubtfire made it automatically but Fletch, The Jerk, Wayne's World, Happy Gilmore, and Billy Madison have to play their way in.

no offense, I'm sure this took a lot of effort so mad mad props for that

Amid Cent
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Can we get some more love for Porky's please? Seriously.

If you've never seen it, it has a TON of gratutious nudity. Plus, you get to see Kim Cattrall howl like a dog while getting ***** in the boys locker room. Seriously.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Princess Bride. I loved Princess Bride, but it's one of those Action/Comedy hybrids like Midnight Run. And Ruthless People is some funny [censored]. Probably too old for the youngin's here, which is why crap like Super Troopers is getting so many votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big fan of all four of these movies. 27.

pryor15
07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Annie Hall
Manhattan
This is Spinal Tap

[/ QUOTE ]

i predict two of these don't make it out of the first round and that i write a post bemoaning their loss.

Grisgra
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe Mrs Doubtfire made it automatically but Fletch, The Jerk, Wayne's World, Happy Gilmore, and Billy Madison have to play their way in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? Sorry, but this random Adam Sandler crap should never have even made the "to-be-considered" list. Perhaps we can have a poll later, "Best Comedies For Those with a Mental Age of a Kindergartener". Whatever movie has the most poop jokes, wins.

I agree about Wayne's World, though.

Cancer Merchant
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Ace Ventura = http://acewallpapers.com/clipart/tool_instrument/KNIFE2.GIF +http://acewallpapers.com/clipart/expression_eyeball_body/eye%5B1%5D.gif

Soul Daddy
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grisgra
07-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Also give us your name and address, so that we can send the sterilization crew over immediately.

Uston
07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is going to end up pissing me off. It's REALLY hard to pick just 20 of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having trouble finding 20 that are actually funny, which is why I'm so baffled that Road Trip isn't even listed. Edit: Stir Crazy, too.

pryor15
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Roger Ebert famously named it as the worst film that was playing in theatres at the time on one of his Carson appearances, which wouldn't have been too awkward except that Steve Martin was the other guest.

swede123
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
To my knowledge no one mentioned Road Trip in the nominations thread. If someone did I apologize I missed it.

Swede

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 01:48 PM
How the hell is Better Off Dead there, but not The Sure Thing?

swede123
07-13-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How the hell is Better Off Dead there, but not The Sure Thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge no one mentioned The Sure Thing in the nominations thread. If someone did I apologize I missed it.

Swede

Grisgra
07-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I did nominate "Very Bad Things". Now there's a black comedy.

PorscheNGuns
07-13-2005, 01:57 PM
How can you leave out the Blues Brothers?

Uston
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this entire thread.

swede123
07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blues Brothers pre-qualified. It is already in.

FYI, once we have a field of 64 I'm going to use IMDBs average user rating to seed the movies, much like with the action movie poll.

Swede

wayabvpar
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
There are definitely some weaknesses in the pre-approved set- no need to have multiples of Woody Allen, Vacation, and Monty Python, for example. Also no need to include Mrs.Doubtfire at all- the only time it was funny was when Arrested Development was spoofing it.

lucas9000
07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you've never seen it, it has a TON of gratutious nudity. Plus, you get to see Kim Cattrall howl like a dog while getting ***** in the boys locker room. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

while an adolescent classic, i never found porky's all that funny, personally.

fletch should be in automatically. chevy chase in his post-snl prime.

Gallopin Gael
07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is no-one voting for Top Secret!?

You guys baffle me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Highly underrated Zucker Brothers movie.

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Clearly this is a young crowd. The older (and better) movies are getting no love.

swede123
07-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Honestly I'm not sure how Mrs. Doubtfire ended up pre-qualified. It's not super highly rated on IMDB, and it was only mentioned a few times in the nominations thread. I might have made a mistake there. Based on comments so far I'll probably be eliminating Mrs. Doubtfire from the competition. Instead I'll take the 33 most popular movies from the At-Large group. Any comments?

Swede

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not super highly rated on IMDB

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? what does have to do with the price of beans in mexico? why bother with these polls at all if we're just going to use imdb ratings?

John Cole
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Age has nothing to do with it although I am old.

swede123
07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? what does have to do with the price of beans in mexico? why bother with these polls at all if we're just going to use imdb ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a chill pill. I obviously need some rationale for seeding these movies. If I seeded based on my own personal biases I'd never hear the end of it, so I figured IMDBs user ratings with thousands of responses per movie is a pretty decent proxy for establishing some sort of hierarchy. At least this way the better movies shouldn't end up against each other until the later rounds.

Swede

teamdonkey
07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fear of a Black Hat

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clearly the correct answer, but hardly anyone has seen it

diebitter
07-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Just tell me now Life of Brian is somewhere in the listing not shown here. Otherwise it truly sucks.

swede123
07-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Once again, Life of Brian is on the list of pre-qualified movies that are automatic births into the main poll.

Swede

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Porky's not getting more love? Strange Brew? The Jerk? These are classics for cryin out loud.

Also, did no one see Serial? Funny [censored]' movie that didn't make the list.

swede123
07-13-2005, 02:56 PM
The Jerk is the only movie my father-in-law likes. He'd seriously name every dog he ever had Shithead if his wife let him. Such a monumental classic...

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big fan of all four of these movies. 27.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also under 30 and a big fan of all four films. I didn't vote for Princess Bride, though, because I don't think it's just a comedy. (That's a compliment-it's much more.)

I see Fletch getting a lot of support, I thought that was the same type of movie as Midnight Run and Beverly Hills Cop. I'm a big fan of those movies, too.

I can't believe that "Arthur" and "Easy Money" aren't getting more votes.

swede123
07-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Bump.

soah
07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while an adolescent classic, i never found porky's all that funny, personally.

fletch should be in automatically. chevy chase in his post-snl prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Nudity and comedy are not correlated... while it was entertaining, I simply don't recall Porky's being very funny. Although I don't remember it too well, so perhaps I'm wrong.

ptmusic
07-13-2005, 05:10 PM
People, please:

Anchorman and Major League were not good movies. A couple good scenes does not a classic make.

-ptmusic

Hal 2000
07-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Where's 'Fast Times..'?

wayabvpar
07-13-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's 'Fast Times..'?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I can't believe I didn't mention that in the first thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE that movie. Serious classic. Fast Times should be preapproved instead of Mrs. Doubtfire for sure.

swede123
07-13-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's 'Fast Times..'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE that movie. Serious classic. Fast Times should be preapproved instead of Mrs. Doubtfire for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have no problems with that. If we get a few more people supporting adding Fast Times at Ridgemont High I'll go ahead and put it in instead of Mrs. Doubtfire.

Swede

Soul Daddy
07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's 'Fast Times..'?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree. Weird that no one nominated it.

TheIrishThug
07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
IMDB is rigged

stabn
07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To my knowledge no one mentioned Road Trip in the nominations thread. If someone did I apologize I missed it.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not eligible anyway. Stupid POS movie.

stabn
07-13-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Porky's not getting more love? Strange Brew? The Jerk? These are classics for cryin out loud.

Also, did no one see Serial? Funny [censored]' movie that didn't make the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never watched porkys or strange brew and i'm probably average or slightly older than average age for an OOTist.

stabn
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a chill pill. I obviously need some rationale for seeding these movies. If I seeded based on my own personal biases I'd never hear the end of it, so I figured IMDBs user ratings with thousands of responses per movie is a pretty decent proxy for establishing some sort of hierarchy. At least this way the better movies shouldn't end up against each other until the later rounds.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs D was funny as [censored] when i was 12. I haven't watched it since though which probably means it should have polled instead of pre-qualified as i'm not sure it's good enough to just go straight in.

stabn
07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's 'Fast Times..'?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have no problems with that. If we get a few more people supporting adding Fast Times at Ridgemont High I'll go ahead and put it in instead of Mrs. Doubtfire.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

swede123
07-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Bump for the graveyard crew...

Dan Rutter
07-13-2005, 11:48 PM
What about The Great Outdoors with John Candy, and Dan Akroyd

swede123
07-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Sorry, wasn't nominated.

Swede

gunt
07-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Post deleted by gunt

Nottom
07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
The princess bride is an excellent movie, but I wouldn't list it as a comedy.

swede123
07-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Some thirty movies pre-qualified, the rest had to do this at-large thing. You'll find the list of pre-qualified movies in this thread.

Swede

Nottom
07-14-2005, 12:18 AM
I thought it was great when I first saw it, of cousre i was prolly like 12 at the time.

sam h
07-14-2005, 01:31 AM
The correllation between the biggest vote getters and the worst movies on this list is frightening.

IggyWH
07-14-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trading Places

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK GOD! I was only seconds away from putting you on ignore before I saw this...

touchfaith
07-14-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say, without Blues Brothers and Stir Crazy...this is going to get fugly fast...

edit: ok, ok...ooops on BB's

Lets get them added now and avoid the embarresment which will surely follow.

Grisgra
07-14-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The corellation between the biggest vote getters and the worst movies on this list is frightening.

[/ QUOTE ]

mike l.
07-14-2005, 02:05 AM
wow maybe you couldve found room for airplane or naked gun especially considering almost all those other movies are crap.

Vince Young
07-14-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Airplane
Naked Gun

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter
07-14-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, Life of Brian is on the list of pre-qualified movies that are automatic births into the main poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

My faith in humanity is restored.

Phat Mack
07-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Sorry that Fargo didn't make the list. It was the the one pick I thought was truly inspired. (Perhaps because I'm a Prince fan.)