PDA

View Full Version : Hey kid, your mom is gay!

Pocket Trips
07-13-2005, 12:45 PM
I am debating whether or not to tell my 14 year old cousin who I lived with for 6 years that his mom is actually gay.

A litte background here... My cousin is 14 years old and has been living with my mother and step-father since he was 3 because his mother is a 39 year old drug addict/alcoholic who is incapable of raising a child. She is also a lesbian who had a 1 night stand with a man, of which this child is the result of.

She sees him about once a month or so when she can stay sober long enough to be around him, and does not really do anything as far as parenting is concerned.. She will come to the house and take him to the movies or out to dinner, things like that, she never gets involved in any real "parenting".

Well now that he is 14 he is of course old enough to realize what homosexuality is. He has met his mom's "friend" who is the perect stereotypical butch dyke.

Last month they took my cousin and his freinds to Hooters for lunch and his freinds noticed that his mother and her "friend" were going even more crazy over the waitresses than they were.

After this his freinds started asking/ teasing him about his mom being gay and he went and asked my mother if in fact she ws gay. My mother skirted around the question without really answering it but also not lying to him and just said " I think your mom is confused about a lot of things in her life. You will have to ask her about that."

My cousin keeps avoiding telling him just because she does not want to take responsibility for dealing with her son, just as she has avoided any responsibility for him his entire life. My mother rightfully believes that it should be her that tells him. He has a right to know. I feel if you are old enough to ask the question you are old enough to be told the truth.

Of course this will not be easy for a 14 y/o to deal with but it is not something that is going to change or go away as h gets older and I feel that the sooner he knows the truth and is able to deal with it the better off he will be later in life.

My question is this. If no one in my family actually has the balls to tell him after another month or so, should I do it myself? I am pretty close with him since we are almost like brothers having been raised by the same person.

And if I do end up having to tell him, how should I go about doing so?? I don't want him to find out by someone ike Nelson from the simpson's saying "HAHA your mom's gay!"

swede123
07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd tell him. At this point he's definitely old enough to have a concept of this kind of stuff. It's not like his mom is a pillar of society anyway, so I'm sure another let-down won't make matters that much worse.

As far as delivering the bad news I don't have much advice. If you guys are close just tell him sometime when the two of you are just hanging out or whatever.

Swede

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Is he already aware that she's a drug-addicted, alcoholic loser?

Pocket Trips
07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Not exactly in those words, but He has been disappointed by her over and over because she keeps promising him that when she gets a real job or apartment or whatever the case may be that he can move in with her... and even whenshe has accomplished something of course he will never move in with her... My parents have legal custody of him now and will fight like hell to keep it as long as she continues living the way she does.

Amid Cent
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Do NOT tell him. This really isn't any of your business - it's between your cousin and his mother. It should be her right to tell him when she's ready for him to know.

If he really wants to know, he'll press the issue with her and they'll have to work it out between the two of them. Stay of it. Seriously.

usmfan
07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do NOT tell him. This really isn't any of your business - it's between your cousin and his mother. It should be her right to tell him when she's ready for him to know.

If he really wants to know, he'll press the issue with her and they'll have to work it out between the two of them. Stay of it. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk2BigSteve
07-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Don't tell him! He has had a hard enough life. Let him figure this one out on his own. I am sure he has enough built up hatred for his mother that as sincere as you may be in telling him, you would only be adding fuel to the fire.

If he doesn't know yet, let him figure it out on his own. And does it really matter if he knows anyway?? It is like trying to tell a blind kid what the color green is.

Steve

Joshssj4
07-14-2005, 01:40 AM
These are the kind of subjects that can EASILY scar people for their entire lives. The story of her pregnancy and her lifestyle choices strongly pertain to this. At no point do you have any right to jump in there and reveal these truths to him. If you feel he deserves to know, I suggest getting your family together and figuring out a suitable way to tell him the truth. Otherwise do not hastily jump into anything, this is a very fragile situation.

IggyWH
07-14-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree somewhat, but I would say stay out of it because of the possible backlash that could happen. You never know how someone can react to information as deep as this and you don't want to be the one he'll always associate with something that will probably be another negative in his life.