PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy...

Laomedon
07-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Ok so I don't have the hand history at work, but this hand has really been irking me a bit.

No real reads on the important villain in the hand, I must confess I had not been paying much attention to this table recently as I had been running pretty cold and was focusing on another table with a donater on it who was going all-in preflop every other hand. Here's the action:

This is on a $100NL (6Max) table Party. I picku up 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in CO-1. Folded to me, I make it 3. CO Calls, Button Folds, SB Folds, BB Calls.

CO has ~$40
BB has ~$130
I have them both covered with ~$250

Flop comes 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB Bets $6 I raise to $15 (Comments??) CO Calls $15 BB goes all-in for ~$120 more, Hero...?

Ok so I could be up against a set, a higher flush draw, perhaps two pair or even an over pair. I'm willing to discount an overpair because I feel that BB probably would've reraised preflop. I'm leaning heavily towards overs with a flush draw simply because going all-in in this spot seems like a play to isolate the short stack. I know most 2+2ers will likely advocate a fold in this spot, although the most interesting question I feel is, what percentage of the time will the BB be making an isolation play here with overs and a flush draw or with something like 108o?

Results to come...

maranello11
07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I think he has a set, with the bet on the flop looks like he wants action, and has a feeling you will raise. I dont think overs, its a set.

Ghazban
07-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Gah; why did you raise to $15? I think that raise size is horrible. When the action gets to you on the flop, there's $21 in the pot ($9 preflop, $6 from BB, $6 from you) if you call and you're only raising $9 on top of that (less than half pot).

If you fold, CO has to call as he's committed half his stack already so you'll get to see what BB was doing this with (looks like a set, but it could be overs+flush draw or something like JJ). I fold without a read or if I have a read that he needs a set to do this but call if he's likely to have overs+flush draw, two pair, or an overpair.

Laomedon
07-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I realized almost immediately after I made the raise that it was a really arbitrary amount. Truthfully I hadn't been paying attention to CO's stack size, had I noticed he was so short I probably would've flat called the $6. Even without reads do you feel that BB's reraise in this situation is more likely to be representative of a higher draw or perhaps an overpair such as JJ (considering the size of his stack)?

Ghazban
07-13-2005, 12:25 PM
I've never played the $100 NL 6-max on Party so I can't say what I'd expect that bet to mean from an unknown. At the $200 6-max, I'd call and expect to see JJ/QQ/AhKh often enough for it to be +EV.

Laomedon
07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks, that's kind of what I wanted to hear. Maybe I was taking too much from my own style of play, but I just didn't imagine BB playing a set so fast.

In any case, I called and short stack called. Shorty had QJh and BB had 88, I got no help.

Basically, I should've wondered what the CO's flat call of $15 meant. With only ~$30 left after BB's bet and my reraise, CO's call of half his stack should've screamed "heart draw." Naturally had I known two of my outs were taken, even if BB had had an overpair, I would've folded instantly. I think the decision would've been much clearer towards a call had the hand been heads up between the BB and myself.