PDA

View Full Version : Lost my job today...

DasLeben
07-13-2005, 06:15 AM
As a few of you know, about 3 weeks ago I started a job selling Toyotas at a local dealership. I was brand new at the job...I was the definition of a greenpea. I'd never even sold a thing in my life. But, they were willing to train me. I was assigned to another salesman to train under, while also working with the general sales manager to get my skills up. It sounded like a pretty sweet deal.

So as it turns out, "training" meant 1 week of crappy training from the other salesman (the sales manager even admitted this), and then another 2 weeks of me floundering around without any sort of guidance. I had to figure out techniques, paperwork, etc. all on my own. A few times I got chewed out for not having my paperwork squared away, but hey, I didn't have a single person run through it with me.

Today as I was walking the lot, the general sales manager pulled up next to me in a golf cart and asked me to go for a ride. I definitely knew something was up. He basically laid out two options for me:

1. I could quit.
2. I could leave the Toyota store and go work for Hyundai right next door.

His reasoning? He didn't think I was picking up skills fast enough (duh...pretty tough to do without any sort of training), and he just didn't have the time to train me himself, which is contrary to the original agreement. So, now I'm being let go from the Toyota store because why? I'm inexperienced? Uhh yeah, they knew that from day one.

So, I'm really at a loss here. I'm very much considering going and talking to the general manager of the place tomorrow and talking to him about this situation. I don't think it's fair that I'm being let go because the dealership isn't holding up their end of the deal. On the other hand, I DO have a job with the Hyundai dealership if I want it, but considering it's owned by the same people that own the Toyota store, I'm not sure if I want to deal with any more potential stupidity. I'm very much considering turning in my key and looking for a new job. Ugh.

Arnfinn Madsen
07-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Ugh...that sucks.

IMO, they should not have hired you in the 1st place if they had that short perspective.

On the other hand, there might be another explanation, but it is just guessing. Finding good/semi-good people to sell Hyundai is more difficult than Toyota, so some new-hire or current Hyundai salesman is given your place to get him or keep him.

If you want to learn sales, you will learn more from selling Hyundai as the brand is weaker.

ChipWrecked
07-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high.

LargeCents
07-13-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. ALL sales positions seem to be this way, in my experience. If you are making commission, there is a million swindles to keep you from earning it. If there's a commission to be had, there's a back to be stabbed. It's cutthroat, and I don't envy anyone who is in the business for more than a temporary situation.

As far as your situation, you might as well make the best of it, whatever that may mean. Make some noise. Talk to the GM or whoever is in charge, and keep going over heads and making noise until you feel like you are being heard. I don't know that it will accomplish anything, but at least you'll get some peace of mind.

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/675000/images/_679571_dinner_150.jpg

"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

beerbandit
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
i wish i could quit/get fired from my job

shant
07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Trust me, getting fired is awesome. Collect the unemployment and start playing poker.

MrMoo
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Some people are natural salespeople. Some aren't. My guess is you aren't. I wouldn't take offense at that though. It's a pretty crappy job all around in my opinion.

Al P
07-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I always wondered why car dealerships have multiple high paying sales position ads in the paper week after week.....

otctrader
07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Don't dwell on this - look at it from a long term perspective. Do you have a passion for car sales? Do you really see yourself building a career? If not this guy might be doing you a favor.

What hapenned to CFI'ing by the way? Regionals are back to hiring w/less than 1000tt. I know sitting in a right seat of an ERJ making $29k isn't too sexy, but if you're young enough to migrate to a good part 91 corp or fractional gig down the road and really have a passion for flying, it may be worth it.

TheWorstPlayer
07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Take the Hyundai job. It's the same freaking job you signed up for with another chance to go through the training again (hopefully with someone with more time).

ThaSaltCracka
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
If you want to learn sales, and want to continuing doing it, take the Hyundai job. If sales is something you aren't interested in anymore, go find a new fvucking job. Its a tough industry, and really only certain people can be great at it. Don't take offense if its not something you can do well.

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Great avatar, man.

groo
07-13-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly true. However, I don't think there is a better place to learn sales. If you want to be a salesman, either take the other job or go find another dealership (car sales jobs are some of the easiest to find). Try to find one with guarenteed money for the first 2-3 months, they tend to train better.

Remember, there is no other line of work that simulatiously has less and more job security....top sales people can get fired because the sales managers's wife was ugly that morning, but anybody can replace that job by afternoon.

Sponger15SB
07-13-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2004/10/team_america.jpg

"Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get [censored] by dicks. But dicks also [censored] assholes: assholes that just want to [censored] on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can [censored] an [censored] is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they [censored] too much or [censored] when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of [censored] that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us [censored] this [censored], we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in [censored]!"

lucas9000
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
http://weblog.garyturner.net/images/2003/ggra6.jpg

Felix_Nietsche
07-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Most salespeople are treated like trash. The reasons salespeople leave a job are:
1. They get fired.
2. Their mgmt gets jealous of their financial success and they play games with their commisions/territory to give them a pay cut.

So why do sales? Because the money can be very nice. The paperwork problems were minor. If you were selling, you would still have a job.

Go to the bookstore and buy some books on selling. Educate yourself! Tom Hopkins has some good ideas but I would not make him my primary mentor.

jcx
07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Not all dealerships are the same, some actually treat their employees like humans. You just might need to search for the right fit. If you are the type of person who takes being fired personally it's not the right career for you.

Selling cars for a living can be very inconvenient. Long hours, nights, weekends. But its one of the few remaining jobs where a man with no marketable skills whatsoever (other than being able to sell of course) can make serious money. Good luck.

Boris
07-13-2005, 02:30 PM
nice.

astroglide
07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
"yeah, i used to be in sales. tough racket!"

Fred G Sanford
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
IMO taking the job at Hyundai is not really a good idea. You are not going to find many top salespeople that you could learn from at a Hyundai store. If you think you may be able to teach yourself there because there is less pressure then it may be worth a try. I just wouldnt expect anyone there to be more helpful than they have been at Toyota.

Some places offer better training than others. What you have to consider is that you got the same training as the other guy you mentioned who was selling more cars than you were. Maybe he is more suited to it. That is not to say that you can't become a more effective sales person, but it is why you won't get any real training there. They will run another add and out of 10 people who take a position 1 will catch on.

BTW, there is much more money to be made in used car sales than new car sales. With all of the new car pricing information available to everyone it is not the business it used to be. Used cars on the other hand offer a different opportunity.

There are some sales courses you could take. I took a Dale Carnegie Sales course a long time ago and it was a useful tool. It was not cheap though and you had to be employed in a sales position. I took it about 15 years ago and it was about $900. NO idea what it might cost now.

Good Luck whatever you decide. I have been in the car business for a long time so if you have other questions feel free to ask.

FGS