PDA

View Full Version : Trying to multi-table HU/SH, recommended or not?

NDHand
07-13-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm currently 8-tabling full ring games with 25% rakeback at party skins. However I got offered a pretty tempting propping deal. As a poker prop I would obviously have to play HU/SH. However, I was wondering how important observation is in HU/SH games. I read in Jason Pohl's article that observation was much more important to win in HU/SH play (whereas tight, solid, straightforward play is usually more important in full ring).

While obviously 8-table propping would be a lot more profitable than 8-table rakeback fullrings, is it realistic to assume I can HU/SH 8-table at a time? Will I lose too much in reads/opponent tendencies? Mostly wondering if anyone else had any experience on the matter and could offer advice on what is the best +EV choice as i'm not sure if 2-3 tables of propping would compensate for my usual winrate/rakeback at fullring 8-tables.

PokerMike
07-13-2005, 04:48 AM
You have to find the right balance of how many you can handle vs where your efficiency maxes out(if thats what you're looking for). I went from 8tabling full ring to 6tabling 6max, any more than 6 and i think my bb/100 would drop more than the extra tables added in bb/hour, but that was me.

I should add a disclaimer though, i don't think maxing out your earn/hour by adding tables/rakeback is the smartest move unless you're already playing high limits. I spent a little too much time doing that instead of moving up and regret it. Focusing on moving up in limits earns you more in the medium/long term than maxing out your hourly rate at lower limits.

NDHand
07-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Good point. I can currently beat 2/4 with 8-table at a pretty good clip but I always figured past 2/4-3/6 the opposition would get much tougher and I would have to reduce the amount of tables I can play at a time, thus the dilemna between moving up/adding tables.

ckessel
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I only ran 3 full tables and I find 2 6-max tables keeps me quite a bit busier than the 3 full did.

I'd guess 4-tabling at 6-max is going to pretty well tax the physical and mental reflexes.

PokerMike
07-13-2005, 11:19 AM
I wasn't sure what limits you were playing so i didn't give specific advice. If you are playing 2/4 then there is no dilemma, move up.

RunDownHouse
07-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Why don't you take a few hundred and hit the .5/1 to find out if you can do it?

Obviously the level of play will be different, but you have to know you can handle the frequency of the decisions before worrying about the difficulty of the decisions. If you're 8-tabling .5/1 no sweat, jump up to 2/4 or 3/6 and start out at 3 or 4 tables, then add as you become confident. How many tables you are comfortable playing at once is a pretty personal thing, I don't know how much help you'll get beyond, "whelp, I do this many!"

Alobar
07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Dunno where you are propping, but Im betting any site needing props (I prop at a couple places from time to time) you arent going to be able to 8 talbe anyway, so it wont matter /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anders_G
07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
i 4-table 5/10sh with no problem. i've tried 6 but that's really stressful and makes no room for msn-chats or similar

Femto
07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dunno where you are propping, but Im betting any site needing props (I prop at a couple places from time to time) you arent going to be able to 8 talbe anyway, so it wont matter /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
word. especially if it's gamesgrid you're talking about, as that seems to be the hot new propping spot this week. good luck finding even 3 tables to play on! propping isn't as glamorous as they make it sound.

Buck_65
07-13-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
word. especially if it's gamesgrid you're talking about, as that seems to be the hot new propping spot this week. good luck finding even 3 tables to play on! propping isn't as glamorous as they make it sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the games on the Grid these days? I did the VFP program while they were paying 3 big blinds per hour per table, but when they cut that in half I called it quits due to the poor game selection. I'm just curious how they're doing. Sounds like things haven't improved.

NDHand
07-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Well I was mostly looking to maximive my profits/hour with my table arrangements. Say 4-5 normal tables and 3 propping tables. However, especially HU, even 3 tables move pretty fast especially since I have 4-5 full-ring games on the side. Was wondering if that was realistic.

Eratik
07-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I spent June 8-tabling 5/10 6max successfully. I got in 50k hands with a respectable winrate(actually higher than my alltime winrate).

It gets very hectic, but I actually found it easier to put in long sessions because I wasn't as distracted by the web/IRC.

Not having playerview support at site you are propping will be a big hinderance.

geormiet
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
You're not going to be able to 8 table propping. You have to play too much SH, and you have to leave tables when they fill or get a wait list. Too much to manage.