PDA

View Full Version : live action at the Bellagio

mterry
07-13-2005, 04:02 AM
About a month back I'm playing 8/16 at the Bellagio, when I get dealt

5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

after UTG+1 limps, I make a terrible call in mp2.

the guy to my left and the cutoff both call, sb folds.

(5 small bets)

Flop
2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG+1 bets, I raise, Call, Call, Fold. UTG+1 calls.

(4.5 big bets)

At this point I'm astonised to get not one, but two cold callers. Not really sure what to put these guys on, maybe a longshot lone ace, or top pair, or small overpair, possibly overcards. It's a large range, but my nuts are crushing everything.

Anyway, Turn

9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 bets out...

At this point I am thinking most hands that called my flop raise probably don't have a chance in the world, and I would love for overcalls. On the other hand, sets and backdoor flush draws are a threat that I do not feel I can protect against. I'm looking for someone to state concisely what the logic should be here.

I will follow up very soon with the turn and river action. I'd like to get to sleep at some point.

mterry
07-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Well, I decided to smooth call, and received my desired overcalls.

River
9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG+1 bets...

toss
07-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Raise and hope a single 5, A, overcards, hearts calls. Get the value in while you can. It'd be extra nice if UTG was betting with A5.

mterry
07-13-2005, 04:33 AM
do you think an Ace calls my raise?

ArturiusX
07-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Raise it, I think being aggro with big holdings helps in B&M. Just my opinion.

ArturiusX
07-13-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you think an Ace calls my raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think an ace (or any marginal draw) that misses on the river is going to bet/call your bet? I don't think so. But he'll want to see the river for one more, so raise.

mterry
07-13-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think an ace (or any marginal draw) that misses on the river is going to bet/call your bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about on the turn. The hands held by the cold callers are drawing dead a large amount of the time. Even from bad players, an Ace will call one but not two. I felt that there was little chance a good draw(set or backdoor flush draw) was out there (maybe 15-20% between the two), so I'd prefer to keep them in the hand. In the unlikely event they have one of the above, I still cannot protect with a raise.

Does anyone support calling the turn?

Chairman Wood
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Raise....
They like to call two cold anyway, let them do it again. In addition, you want them paying to draw to whatever hand they are drawing to, whether that hand when made can beat you or not. Thus, bets you could have collected on turn, you can't collect on the river when they miss their hand.
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, sets and backdoor flush draws are a threat that I do not feel I can protect against. I'm looking for someone to state concisely what the logic should be here.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, you can protect your hand against two pair. Sets are somewhat unlikely due to the flop action however if they are there you might not be able to protect your hand however the best play here is to raise for value in the instance you are up against a set. Same thing considering the backdoor flush draws. Oh and actually there are 6.5 big bets going into the turn minus rake.

Chairman Wood
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Well usually I would say raise but this is an assement you have to make based on the player who bet and the people behind you. Go read the section on overcalls on the river in Ed Miller's SSHE. There is everything I would like to tell you about this situation.

DavidC
07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Mind if I ask what the rake is like at the Bellagio 8/16 game? Just curious.

No, I didn't contribute to the thread... but I AM curious. /images/graemlins/smile.gif