PDA

View Full Version : prophecy question..

curtains
07-13-2005, 03:51 AM
Is there any way that partypoker can know that I visited the pokerprophecy website either during play, or when I'm not logged on to partypoker. I suspect they can while Im playing but that they cannot while Im logged off. Is this correct?

Apathy
07-13-2005, 04:05 AM
You may get a better answer in the internet forum but I believe that they can take a screenshot while you are playing of your computer.

Apathy
07-13-2005, 04:06 AM
but note that looking at their website does not violate their T+Cs so you have no need to worry.

Meatmaw
07-13-2005, 06:02 AM
a screenshot of their app or of the whole desktop? I'm skeptical that's possible. What applications do this already, or are you suggesting that this is done through some hackery by Party?

introv
07-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Its very straightforward for any application to take a screenshot of your desktop, should the developer be inclined.

Party could also detect that you had visited Prophecy if they really wanted to. But I can't honestly see why they would want to? Especially when they seem unwilling to prevent Prophecy mining the data in the first place.

maddog2030
07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its very straightforward for any application to take a screenshot of your desktop, should the developer be inclined.

Party could also detect that you had visited Prophecy if they really wanted to. But I can't honestly see why they would want to? Especially when they seem unwilling to prevent Prophecy mining the data in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely unlikely they are going to take screenshots of your desktop or other such nonsense. How are they going to parse the data? By hand? No.

It's expotentially more likely they are searching for a specific executable or process, either in known directories on your harddrive or in your currently running process list. This is how most of these detection programs work.

maddog2030
07-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I just went to the Prophecy site and it says on the front page that using the website isn't flagged.

eastbay
07-13-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely unlikely they are going to take screenshots of your desktop or other such nonsense. How are they going to parse the data? By hand? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its likelihood is 100%. They do it all the time.

Usually it is a followup to having an automated process scan return a red flag, then they want to take a further look, so they snapshot the screen.

Many, many people have found copies of screenshots in their Party folder after receiving warning emails. I think they go in the Temp folder when Party takes them.

eastbay

eastbay
07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just went to the Prophecy site and it says on the front page that using the website isn't flagged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet.

They can and do flag based on web site visits. I remember this from when winhold'em came out.

I think once they figure out that Prophecy works both with an app on your desktop and trhough web browsers, they will add the web site to their ban list.

eastbay

1C5
07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't even have a temp folder in my Party folder.

eastbay
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even have a temp folder in my Party folder.

[/ QUOTE ]

They create it when they snapshot your screen. You won't have been snapshotted unless you've raised flags somehow.

They may have even stopped the screenshot process (emails now claim that they don't screenshot), but I've seen way too many independent and consistent reports of screenshots showing up in the Party folder, always in a folder of the same name, about the same time warning emails were received, to not be pretty darn certain they used to and possibly still do this.

eastbay

microbet
07-13-2005, 11:17 AM
They are certainly willing to search all around your computer, including your browser history and your windows registry when you try and install a new skin.

maddog2030
07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its likelihood is 100%. They do it all the time.

Usually it is a followup to having an automated process scan return a red flag, then they want to take a further look, so they snapshot the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit different. They aren't using screenshots to detect what you're doing, which is what I think the original implication was. They're being used as evidence and maybe to throw out some false positives.

I also think that's an important distinction because given that they're only flagging you based on running processes or certain executables or whatever, it's very easy to circumvent. Whereas if they were actually randomly checking everyone's PP screenshots periodically (impractical but some people think this is how its done), there is not such an easy defense that comes to my mind.

microbet
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Use another computer.

maddog2030
07-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Just wait until they start scanning your entire network for Prophecy. And then interviewing all your close relatives and any friends you've had within the past 7 years.

eastbay
07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wait until they start scanning your entire network for Prophecy. And then interview all your close relatives and any friends you've had within the past 7 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Clearance Form PF-87

Please arrive at the interrogation center with a clean shaven chest, for best electrode contact.

[ ] Have you, or anyone you've associated with in the past 7 years, ever read a poker book that might give you an unfair advantage?

[ ] Have you, or anyone you've associated with in the past 7 years, ever used any poker software that might have given you an unfair advantage?

[ ] Have you, or anyone you've associated with in the past 7 years, ever had the thought that making a poker bot might actually be kind of a fun hobby?

List every address you've ever had since birth.

Name two references that you played poker with at each of these residences. Provide their full contact information, as well as their prior residences in the past 5 years.

X Sign in blood here:

You and everyone you know will be contacted by men in dark suits over the next 6 months, and you should hear back within a year. Maybe two.

eastbay

duke44
07-13-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also think that's an important distinction because given that they're only flagging you based on running processes or certain executables or whatever, it's very easy to circumvent. Whereas if they were actually randomly checking everyone's PP screenshots periodically (impractical but some people think this is how its done), there is not such an easy defense that comes to my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off let me begin by saying we don't recommend doing the following. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Several customers of ours have changed their exe. files and have continued to use Poker Prophecy, I do want to stress we do not recommend this course of action because we are not sure if Party Poker is taking screenshots at this time. If you do change your exe. I would suggest using some creativity in the matter as pokerprophecy209309.exe will probably not work.

In regards to the screenshots we have found a firewall that claims to give you a blank screen when a screenshot is taken from a program that is all ready allowed in thru a port. I do not know the specifics of how it works and even if it does work to stop screenshots, we are actively testing this process out though.

Also you can love us or hate us, but we refuse to quietly go away and we will continue to have Poker Prophecy on Party Poker.