PDA

View Full Version : (Low content) Variance

gmandan
07-13-2005, 03:43 AM
How badly do the beats affect your bottom line? I've just been finding myself doing great during the beginning of a long session and always ending down 30BB each day for this past week. The sets are really pounding me on the head and just catching myself in bad situations (my AQ vs. villian's AK) multiple times. Does even a little chip spewing make a positive winrate into negative and is impeccable poker play necessary to even come out ahead at least 1 BB/100? It's just been tough trying to make it through 1/2. I'm definitely over-bankrolled. I've just been frustrated trying to improve and not be so result orientated but with such a small sample size of hands I just feel lost even after reading/studying through SSH and posting/reading hand examples. Any other help?

trainslayer
07-13-2005, 03:58 AM
Sorry dude,
this goes here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2828458&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1)

grjr
07-13-2005, 04:01 AM
If you lose towards the end of long sessions then play shorter sessions.

"Doctor it hurts when I go like this".

"Then don't go like this".

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Just keep at it. Party 1/2 games are very beatable, but you can take some nasty swings. Some weeks I can't lose, and some weeks I can't win. That's playing around 5k hands per week, so you get the idea. In the long run all of those terrible players will give back the money they won on bad beats.

rivered_again
07-13-2005, 04:18 AM
I don't have any yardstick to measure by, but I seem to suffer way more than my fair share of bad beats. Yet despite that, I'm still winning at a rate of 4 BB/100 after 5k hands on Party $0.5/1. I'm a decent player (nothing great) that adheres to the principle that you get your money in as the favorite, and let the cards fall as they may. Nobody can stop bad players from sucking out - it's pretty much the only way they can win. In the long run you will come out ahead.

I definitely don't play impeccable poker (in fact, impeccable poker would probably be superfluous at this level) so if I can come out ahead despite scores of bad beats, then it must mean that bad beats don't keep a winning player from winning.

pryor15
07-13-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is impeccable poker play necessary to even come out ahead at least 1 BB/100?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you should be able to do that w/o even really paying attention. (sample size aside)