PDA

View Full Version : How many mistakes can I make with 78s?

shant
07-13-2005, 02:52 AM
The converter gets jacked on 9max hands so hopefully I got all the action right.

SB is a 44/13/2.5 who is playing extra aggressive against me because he decided he doesn't like me. We have been playing back at eachother a lot, and I've been coming out on top.

UTG+1 is a 41/11/2 over a smaller sample and I haven't even noticed him down there until this hand.

Party Poker Some limit (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,3 limps, I call, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB raises, BB folds, limpers call, I call.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players) (11SB)</font>
SB bets, UTG+1 calls, some guy calls, I call.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players) (7.5BB)</font>
SB bets, UTG+1 raises, some guy folds, I 3-bet, SB caps, EP calls, I call.

River: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players) (19.5BB)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, I bet, SB calls, UTG+1 checkraises, I call, SB calls.

Final Pot: 25.5BB

Edit: I messed up the river action, and have fixed it now. UTG+1 checkraised, not SB.

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I would play it the same way. I anxiously await someone who can tell us what mistakes you made.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 03:10 AM
3betting the turn is a grave mistake. It caused the river checkraise.

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 03:15 AM
How do we know the turn 3-bet is a big mistake at that moment?

Jake (The Snake)
07-13-2005, 03:16 AM
I like the turn 3-bet but I'm not too keen about the river bet.

SB has been showing strength PF and on the flop. Then, when the board pairs it is suddenly raised and 3-bet behind him. But he aint scared, he caps. Looks like he has AA here pretty often. I'd check through the river.

private joker
07-13-2005, 03:22 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
How many mistakes can I make with 78s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 1.

I like PF, I like the flop, I like the turn. But after he caps your 3-bet, he's not totally blind to the board pairing, even if you guys are getting personal with each other.

I'd want to get to a cheap showdown after that, especially since you have no idea what the third guy holds. He could have A8 and is weakly afraid of AA.

Just check behind and hope trips is good enough. I really think I'm not being results-oriented, but maybe your post should have ended with the first river decision...

shant
07-13-2005, 03:25 AM
True, I forgot about the results-orientating action on the river. I think I made up a word.

Hopefully people can try and give an objective decision on that river bet.

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 03:59 AM
The river check-raise is messing with people. Since when is betting trips on the river for value a mistake? You are behind 66, 99, AA, and a bigger 8. AA is unlikely because of the preflop action, 99 and 66 could be out there, and someone could have a bigger 8. Still, why fear the worst?

blegh, since the hand converter has been messing up I'm missing the action highlights. SB could have AA, that's a bigger possibility, so i guess you can slow down somewhere.

shant
07-13-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
blegh, since the hand converter has been messing up I'm missing the action highlights. SB could have AA, that's a bigger possibility, so i guess you can slow down somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but based on the read I provided, and the fact he checked the river, it's hard to put the SB on AA.

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 04:16 AM
With your read I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact that he raised from the SB. LAGs are little tighter with their raises from the blinds.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do we know the turn 3-bet is a big mistake at that moment?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+1's raise here should concern you.

shant
07-13-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you advising a call-down unless I hit another 8 or 7?

toss
07-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Maybe UTG was waiting for a non-club turn to raise it up. Theres a lot of other hands UTG is raising with that Hero beats.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you advising a call-down unless I hit another 8 or 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because your kicker sucks. The fact that SB capped the turn and checked the river blank should also confuse you.

I think sometimes people are so eager to value bet that they fail to notice the situation...perhaps value betting here was right, and I don't know the results, but the whole hand played out like you were drawing to 1-4 outs after the turn.

I fall for this check-raise trap too. Other good players (and even laggy players) know I am eager to bet the river and check it to me even if they have been betting the whole way. This probably costs me a ton of big bets in the long run.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe UTG was waiting for a non-club turn to raise it up. Theres a lot of other hands UTG is raising with that Hero beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of 0 based on his preflop limp, given those stats.

So much action with trips is not a good sign, no matter what the case is.

toss
07-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Are you serious?

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to name hands that raise into SB's ace here but don't raise/3bet preflop.

toss
07-13-2005, 04:32 AM
UTG's stats make him aggressive postflop although its a smaller sample size. Its no so farfetched that UTG has a weaker Ace. He can have a midpair or just a pair of 6s.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its no so farfetched that UTG has a weaker Ace. He can have a midpair or just a pair of 6s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if he's a moron, which is possible. But Hero's read here isn't good, and UTG+1's stats aren't bad except for the # of hands he plays preflop, which is bad for us.

Evan
07-13-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that SB capped the turn and checked the river blank should also confuse you and worry you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be a dick, but everyone reading this post should disreagrd the portion that I bolded.

baronzeus
07-13-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that SB capped the turn and checked the river blank should also confuse you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be a dick, but everyone reading this post should disreagrd the portion that I bolded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post edited. You're correct.

Lurkmaster Flex
07-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Regardless of the c/r someone capping the turn on the paired board is enough for me to check through.