PDA

View Full Version : way ahead/way behind with QQ

DrPublo
07-13-2005, 01:20 AM
PP 100 nl. i've been playing very aggro and it's been working so far. villain is utg and has about 80, I have him covered.

UTG raises to $4, I calll in the CO with red QQ and we're heads up.

Flop ($10ish): Ad Qc 9s

He checks, I check.

Turn ($10): Ad Qc 9s 3s

He bets $8, I raise to $30, he pushes, I call.

River is unimportant and I lose to AA.

Given that I'm way ahead/way behind on the turn, should I use a call/call line instead, and of course bet the river if he checks to me? The only argument against this line I could see is that sometimes he has As Ks or As Js and picks up a flush draw on the turn, which I want to make money against.

On a rainbow board, is a call/call line preferred?

The Doc

clevernapkin
07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
IMO call/call is way to passive, especially with middle set. The only thing I might change here is checking on the flop.

theben
07-13-2005, 01:35 AM
you have a great hand. dont be a caller with it. lead and try to break your opponent. if your opponent has top set over your second set, then so be it. unless you have a lot to lose (400+BB) you should play your hand virtually 100% of the time as long as no hands are pat

DrPublo
07-13-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO call/call is way to passive, especially with middle set. The only thing I might change here is checking on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check on the flop is a must. If i bet he will fold KK, JJ and I want him to take a stab at the turn with these hands.

The Doc

Macquarie
07-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Interesting hand, and similar to this one from Ghazban http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2851266&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1 with an OOP raiser checking a flop with an A.

It seems likely he doesn't have an Ax type of hand, and so I like a relatively passive line. I think flat calling the turn bet here is fine, and probably more +EV than raising. You can't worry about the backdoor flush heads up.

To the people who say play it fast and hard, what hands might villain have that we can beat that will pay us off this way? AQ is the only one, and we'll likely get all in on the river if he has that anyway.

Playing it passive, we'll still get all in against AQ and AA (same as playing it fast) but we'll also make some money from KK and JJ (and AK/AJ if he turns out to be really odd). We're not trying to get away from set over set by playing passive, rather trying to maximise value when we're winning.

FreakDaddy
07-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Anyone who raises UTG and an Ace and Queen fall with minimal draws on the board and he checks, THEN leads the turn I'd be a little leary. Baring no fantastic reads your play isn't bad, but I would check this hand down. I'm not being results oriented here, it just smells really funny. I don't think you played it bad, and a raise at some point is appropriate for you could still easily be against KK, AK, etc... but it's probably unavoiadable that you don't get all your money in with this hand.

FreakDaddy
07-13-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you have a great hand. dont be a caller with it. lead and try to break your opponent. if your opponent has top set over your second set, then so be it. unless you have a lot to lose (400+BB) you should play your hand virtually 100% of the time as long as no hands are pat

[/ QUOTE ]

While I typically agree with your statment, and I've made it several times myself, this is one of those situations, that if you recognize them, will save you lots of money. Bottom line is, all the money may likely go into the pot, but there are very few hands that are going to call your raise here, the only one is AK, everything else is likely to push against you (AA,AQ). Call and take the money if it's there, but blindly pushing your cards in these situations, whithout really thinking about what hands will call you is not good poker.

Reef
07-13-2005, 06:28 AM
the only hands that push the turn are AA, AQ, or a bluff (rare). It's just so hard to lay this down.

I probably end up calling and cursing the screen afterwards.