PDA

View Full Version : Making a mix CD for a girl that likes "Indie"

RiverFenix
07-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Someone asked me to do this a few months ago and I completely forgot. Not that it matters now. But she likes Modest Mouse and the Sun Kil Moon stuff I played, I cant remember much else. Anyway, the point of this is I had no idea what I would actually throw onto a cd. Something like that what follows below. Suggestions, comments?

Air - Run
British Sea Power - A Lovely Day Tomorrow
American Analog Set - Know by heart
Arcade Fire - Wake up
Beta band - Broken Up a Ding Dong
Bloc Party - So here we are
Blonde redhead - misery is a butterfly
Bright Eyes - to love and to be loved
Built to spill - else
cursive - the recluse
death cab - title and registration / movie script ending / we looked like giants (unsure here)
decemberisits - july, july
desparecidos - man and wife , the latter (damaged goods)
killers - all these things that ive done
modest mouse - gravity rides everything
pinback - penelope
pixies - debaser
promise ring - red and blue jeans
raveonettes - love in a trashcan
razorlight - vice
shins - kissing the lipless
strokes - ?
sunny day real estate - every shining time you arrive
wrens - hopeless
white stripes - ?
yo la tengo - ?
zolof the rock & roll destroyer - i owe you

tbach24
07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Kings of Convenience (ty IndieMatty) are very good. It took me like 2 weeks to start liking them but now I can't stop listening to them. My favorite song is "I'd Rather Dance." I actually don't know if that's it's title though because it messed up when I dl'ed it.

Also, don't know if they count as indie but Flaming Lips and Elliott Smith are my 2 favorite bands/artists right now.

pryor15
07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Wilco-"heavy metal drummer"

go for something different--either include bright eyes or death cab, but not both. it's too easy.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-13-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone asked me to do this a few months ago and I completely forgot. Not that it matters now. But she likes Modest Mouse and the Sun Kil Moon stuff I played, I cant remember much else. Anyway, the point of this is I had no idea what I would actually throw onto a cd. Something like that what follows below. Suggestions, comments?

Air - Run
Arcade Fire - Wake up
Built to spill - else
cursive - the recluse
death cab - title and registration / movie script ending / we looked like giants (unsure here)
pinback - penelope
pixies - debaser
razorlight - vice
strokes - ?
wrens - hopeless
white stripes - ?
yo la tengo - ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks pretty good, I'd run with it. Good Built to Spill choice, such a good song. Where you have question marks, for the strokes I'd throw in Hard to Explain, for White Stripes I'd put Air Near My Fingers, but I'm not a huge White Stripes fan, and for yo la tengo, I'd go with Let's Save Tony Orlando's House, but that's an impulsive pick, there are better songs.

Also, throw in Ted Leo & The Pharmacists and Pavement, just because I think Ted Leo and Stephen Malkmus are two big front men on the "indie" scene.

Chairman Wood
07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Define "Indie." Some of those bands you listed might not fit into some defininitons of "Indie." Also it is important as to what your relationship is with this girl. Regardless, due to your list below some my think Wilco goes along with this definition of Indie. They did a great cover of the Woody Guthrie song "California Star." Great tune to throw on a CD for a girl.

Claunchy
07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
For the Yo La Tengo song, Moby Octopad (Track 2 on ICHTHBAO) is one of my favorites.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 01:29 AM
This is a very good mix. Especially Penelope. But seriously, all of it. Good work.

Replying to threads like this really makes me hate my friggin spur of the moment screename. So trite.

Edit: Dang. Promise Ring.

Ok, I got an add. Mix it up with Deftones (or Jonahs version) Be Quiet and Drive also maybe a Jets To Brazil song instead of old Conor(something off of ORD) Maybe a Broken Social Scene song, Backyards off of BeeHives.

Edit 2: AWESOME SUNNY DAY SONG.

lucas9000
07-13-2005, 02:20 AM
the fire show "the godforsaken angels of epistemology" (http://rapidshare.de/files/3016096/06-The_Godforsaken_Angels_Of_Epistemology.mp3.html)

not romantic or anything, but good.

tdarko
07-13-2005, 02:24 AM
i am sad you didn't recommend minus the bear.

jason_t
07-13-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Air - Run
Arcade Fire - Wake up
Built to spill - else
cursive - the recluse
pinback - penelope
pixies - debaser
razorlight - vice
strokes - ?
wrens - hopeless
white stripes - ?
yo la tengo - ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see some question marks by a few of the bands. I'll fill them in.

Strokes - Is This It or Under Control
White Stripes - Truth Doesn't Make A Noise or Offend in Every Way
Yo La Tengo - This Band Sucks or Remove From This Otherwise Great Lineup

Bill Murphy
07-13-2005, 03:18 AM
My main comment would be that making a mix CD for a girl is an excellent way to ensure you don't ever have sex w/her, but maybe its different for others.

But if she's a friend and/or pre-tapped, knock yaself out.

tdarko
07-13-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My main comment would be that making a mix CD for a girl is an excellent way to ensure you don't ever have sex w/her, but maybe its different for others.

[/ QUOTE ]
coming from the dude that cruises 40 year old chat rooms.

Bill Murphy
07-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Hey, I'll BE 40 in two months, where else should I go? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tdarko
07-13-2005, 03:31 AM
i knew you were about to be 40, there are plenty of places to go if you are around a big city. leave the net to the kids and go to a martini bar and you will find beautiful large breasted 40 somethings that you will not find on a computer.

good luck.

mmbt0ne
07-13-2005, 03:33 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Promise Ring

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I actually first heard them on a paintball DVD.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Spritz Spritz Spritz

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sad there are people that actually make "mix CDs" for girls.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sad there are people that actually make "mix CDs" for girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this make you personally sad? Would you rather them make you one?

mmbt0ne
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
No one told jake that mixes were on cds now. He tried to give the barmaid a tape once, and she just looked at it funny.

whiskeytown
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
ah yes - the mix tape -

I could go off on a wonderful lecture about the benefits/issues with a mix tape, but then the book/movie High Fidelity came along and pretty much took everything I would say and did it one better - (Kevin Griffin also did a decent job in Better Than Ezra's "rewind"

But dude, it almost never works - LOL - almost never snags the girl - sorry, bro - /images/graemlins/grin.gif - but best of luck to you...

RB

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So change it to "It's sad" rather than "I'm sad". This has to be the most retarded way to try to get a girl ever. I was not even aware anyone over the age of 15 did this.

whiskeytown
07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
that reminds me -

I owe a cute redhead over at the Irish Bar on University a copy of some early Liz Phair demos -

thanks for reminding me -

RB

astroglide
07-13-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I owe a cute redhead over at the Irish Bar on University a copy of some early Liz Phair demos

[/ QUOTE ]

is your next post going to be about melissa ethridge?

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So change it to "It's sad" rather than "I'm sad". This has to be the most retarded way to try to get a girl ever. I was not even aware anyone over the age of 15 did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Maybe he's already dating her.
2. It's just a nice gesture, he may not want to bang her.

I will agree that a mix alone wont get anything accomplished, but it doesn't hurt.

djoyce003
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
people still make "mix tapes"?

kitaristi0
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Anything by Death Cab is good. I prefer 'Mine's not a high horse' by The Shins but Kissing the lipless is good too. Anything of Good news for people who love bad news by Modest Mouse is good. And change that Arcade Fire song. Rebellion or Neighbourhood #2 are much better.

RiverFenix
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Its not actually for anyone now, it couldve been a few months ago. The point of the thread was for a critique/comments about what couldve been.

If some of you cant hookup with a chic because making a CD will set you back, you have serious game issues and are messing up way before making a CD even happens.