PDA

View Full Version : river value bet or check?

slik
07-12-2005, 11:58 PM
MP is loose passive. Button is unknown. What do I do on the river? I feared that button was on a flush draw, and that coupled with the fact that the ace could have hit him also made me check, intending to call. would betting and folding to a raise been better that check calling?

Ultimate Bet 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP calls.

River: (11.20 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero ?
Final Pot: 11.20 BB

xLukex
07-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, it depends.

If you check, button bets, and MP calls, you would rather not be an overcall. In that spot, I fold.

If you check, button bets, and MP folds, I still feel you lose this pot significantly often, but it is worth a call.

If you bet, button calls, and MP calls, well that sucks.

If you bet, button raises, and MP does anything really, you fold.

I think checking is the best play here.

bobbyi
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
From how it has played out, it looks like there is a good chance MP made the flush and is trying to check-raise the field on the river.

Danenania
07-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I would bet and fold to a raise. I think it's far too likely that Button has a weaker J that he will check with not to bet. Sure MP could have a flush. He could have a lot of things (though lp players don't go for the c/r too often in my experience). Yeah, pretty easy bet.

cartman
07-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I think it is entirely possible that button has you beat even before the Ace hits the river. In my opinion, once the Ace hits it is an easy check.

Cartman

Danenania
07-13-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want the 2 BB's I will take them. Yes you will be beat sometimes but often they will both be calling with weaker pairs. I would hardly say that situation sucks.

xLukex
07-13-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want the 2 BB's I will take them. Yes you will be beat sometimes but often they will both be calling with weaker pairs. I would hardly say that situation sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think odds are one of them has to have you beat. Especially mister LP MP. Whatever the hell he was doing, I bet his draw was completed on the river.

And button, he could think you're tricky and call with a weaker jack. But honestly, I think one of them has you beat 90% of the time here.

I still check!

slik
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
both check it down. late position has pocket 7s, MP has a pair of 2s. MHIG.