PDA

View Full Version : Playing JTs (over-?) aggressively

moodifier
07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Do you guys like the play?

Here are reads/thoughts:

MP1= fairly tight/ solid, have played many hands w/ him and he seems what I would call TAGgish and picks his spots well.

BB= none

The table has been TIGHT. I was getting up after MAYBE 2 more rotations.

I was beginning to think my image at the table was getting a bit predictably tight.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
(All checks on river)

Here are questions:

1. Is pf play over-aggressive with a TAG raising EP?

2. Is pf play questionable seeing as JTs typically plays better in a multiway pot which has little/no chance to happen here with the table conditions and my reraise?

3. Did I miss a river "value" bet, ie i dunno for sure if im good?

4. Would you do this?

Thoughts,input very welcome..

shadow29
07-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Fold pf.

Post flop looks fine.

AngelicPenguin
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I didn't finish reading the hand, but I don't like a 3-bet vs a tight player with J high. Now let's see the rest /images/graemlins/smile.gif

marchron
07-13-2005, 01:36 AM
<font color="red">WARNING</font>: 2+2 newbie here. If I'm wrong, be gentle; if I'm right, it was an accident, I swear.

I don't like the pre-flop three-bet. You've made MP1 for a TAG, stick with the read and dump, since you know the pot will probably not be multi-way.

Then when he came out firing on the flop, I don't know how you couldn't have put him on a queen.

However, he checked it to you on the turn. That almost rules out a decent queen or a jack with a better kicker. Your jacks are probably good. Bet the river.

Bodhi
07-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Preflop I would fold. If you have a really good read on MP1 and think he's iso-raising with some not-so-great hands, then it's ok, but normally I fold.

I play the flop and turn the same way.

The river would be a very, very thin bet. MP1 isn't calling with A-high, and the BB might be calling the whole way with Q-bad-kicker. Checking seems fine to me.

grjr
07-13-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't 3bet with with JTs but i COLDCALL (dirty word) with it here. I like having a bunch of people in the hand for 2 bets when I have a suited connector.

One thing people don't think about is that when you COLDCALL (dirty word) a raiser it tends to make more people call also that wouldn't have called if you folded or 3bet.

GrunchCan
07-13-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I COLDCALL with [JTs] here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will too, but not without at least 3 opponents entering the pot before me and loose blinds.

Dave G.
07-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Fold this preflop. JTs isn't really that great of a hand. It looks good and people love to play it, but it really doesn't perform all that well. You don't have enough people in the pot here to make this profitable because most of the profit from this hand comes from hitting straights and flushes against large fields.

I don't like a coldcall here either; there's only one other limper.

The rest looks fine though.

grjr
07-13-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold this preflop. JTs isn't really that great of a hand. It looks good and people love to play it, but it really doesn't perform all that well. You don't have enough people in the pot here to make this profitable because most of the profit from this hand comes from hitting straights and flushes against large fields.

I don't like a coldcall here either; there's only one other limper.

The rest looks fine though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I coldcall with suited connectors above 65s practically every time no matter how many limpers and have made money with all of them except 87s (ran into a lot of straights, flushes and boats with them).

I don't recommend that for everyone but I just like playing them and wanted to show they can be profitable even without taking the number of limpers into consideration. YMMV

moodifier
07-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks for responses..much appreciated..

For me, I like cold calling more than folding, but just barely. It was either muck or 3bet so I 3bet. I was looking at a bit of HEPFAP (which I know probly doesnt apply to this game,etc.) which said to three bet this hand about 1/4 of the time.

Was just going on instinct. I was easily folding JTo here PF and to a flop 3 bet.

Sometimes you can just feel that someone has AK with a raise from early position like this especially when you dont get 3bet on the flop. Dont you think?

TomBrooks
07-14-2005, 02:51 AM
1. Is pf play over-aggressive with a TAG raising EP? Yes, very much so.

2. Is pf play questionable seeing as JTs typically plays better in a multiway pot which has little/no chance to happen here with the table conditions and my reraise? Yes, very much so.

3. Did I miss a river "value" bet, ie i dunno for sure if im good? No. Check/call looks wise.

4. Would you do this? See above and infer answers from there.

TomBrooks
07-14-2005, 02:58 AM
Sometimes you can just feel that someone has AK with a raise from early position like this especially when you dont get 3bet on the flop. Dont you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
And you like JTo better than AK enough to 3bet it? How about advising us of your number of hands and BB/100 at this limit so we can evaluate the success of your thinking based on your results?

moodifier
07-14-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And you like JTo better than AK enough to 3bet it? How about advising us of your number of hands and BB/100 at this limit so we can evaluate the success of your thinking based on your results?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am easily folding JTo pf to this raise.

estimations-
hands: 10,000
3BB/100

I aint pulling stunts like this often.. I just got a bit caught up in my image at the time and decided to do something new.

dozer
07-14-2005, 11:58 PM
the table being tight is more of a reason to fold this hand, not 3-bet it. Save the deceptive plays for high limits, 3 betting marginal hands for deception is pretty useless in .50 1. IMO.

edit: I assume you 3-bet this pre-flop to loosen up your image because you wrote that your image was too tight. If I am wrong then ignore my post.