PDA

View Full Version : ESPN BLOWS it with this years schedule

RollaJ
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
They have about 34 events set to air, and 33 are holdem.
2 Omaha and 1 7cs event...... does anyone else thinks this sucks??
I really wish they'd show the Razz and more of the 8OB events

Mason Hellmuth
07-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I would love to see more Omaha and 8/B events as well. But I can't blame ESPN for not showing them. Most people... normal people... would do anything to avoid watching Omaha.

ismisus
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
didn't you know Hold'Em = TV Poker. Also I imagine its tougher to watch/edit shows that involve more than 2 hole cards.

RollaJ
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
True but they show bowling and darts

Kevmath
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I think there's 1 7CS, 2 PLO and 2 Limit holdem events. Razz's final day went over 17 hours. Think ESPN would've wanted to edit that stuff down? Unless someone can figure out how to make limit Omaha/8 or Stud/8 exciting, it'll never be on the air.

Kevin...

Homer
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Why don't they just film every event and show the non-hold'em events after the main event?

ismisus
07-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Why don't they just tape the final table of WSOP Me, and repeat it ad nauseam. Same ratings.

nolanfan34
07-12-2005, 10:56 PM
I agree with your sentiments.

But - packaging an Omaha 8 final table into an hour, would be impossible. The game is too hard for a beginner to understand, the freakin' "Here's how you play Omaha 8 or better" would be like 5 minutes long.

And then someone would have to do the commentating. Who's going to do that, Norman Chad? I'd love to hear him and Lon try to explain which is the best low hand on a K8652 board.

Anyway, dream a little dream I say. Maybe someday. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TheMetetron
07-12-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which is the best low hand on a K8652 board.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the donkfest at MGM undoubtedly taught you, it's not A2 anymore. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LLKOOLK1
07-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I think we need to face the fct that TV poker is not designed for people like us. It is made to appeal to the new poker following ESPN crowd. And we just have to deal with whatevr they give us. I would love to see some other events, but I just can't see 16 year old kids gettin a kick out of 7stud8/OB...kinda sucks, but I remeber a few years ago when I would wait to catch any poker broadcast at all. So ill make due with what I got.
-LL

witeknite
07-13-2005, 12:13 AM
After seeing it last year, I have to say that watching Razz is like smoking crack.

WiteKnite

TheMetetron
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After seeing it last year, I have to say that watching Razz is like smoking crack.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, playing Razz is bad... I just can't imagine WATCHING razz.

Stupid donk fest got so tight when we played Razz. I had to pay the whole tables way to 4th street to even get some action and even then the left side of the table still folded.

witeknite
07-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm twisted. I'm actaully thinking of depositing to FT just to try it out.

WiteKnite

nath
07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I want to know when ESPN is going to scrap the whole idea of the WSOP and just start airing packages titled "WORLD'S GREATEST SUCKOUTS" and "ALL-INS GONE WILD" and "HOTTEST HOLD 'EM HANDS" and such. Just show every hand where one player makes a massive suckout, or every preflop all in where fortunes turn wildly at each card.

I mean, give 'em what they want, right? Forget poker, let's just titillate the audiences with HOT GAMBLING ACTION.

nolanfan34
07-13-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As the donkfest at MGM undoubtedly taught you, it's not A2 anymore. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame copious amounts of free alcohol.

MCS
07-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Sadly, "free" alcohol isn't.

TheMetetron
07-13-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame copious amounts of free alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have to admit, we all stood there for like 3 minutes trying to figure out wtf was going on. I was beyond wasted at that point too. Seeing it now, I'm trying to figure out what kind of crack me and PJN smoked before the event.

The T.A.
07-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Watching Razz is worse than watching paint dry.

Of course, people just SAY they like watching Razz because it sounds like the RIGHT thing to say amongst a forum of poker diehards.

I'd MUCH rather see the NL Deuce to Seven event.

witeknite
07-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I haven't seens any duece to seven played so I can't comment on it. What I find most interesting about watching Razz is seeing the equity percentages see-saw with every card. I do think it's an interesting game.

WiteKnite

ziggy_m
07-13-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't they just tape the final table of WSOP Me, and repeat it ad nauseam. Same ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

shaniac
07-13-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to face the fct that TV poker is not designed for people like us. It is made to appeal to the new poker following ESPN crowd. And we just have to deal with whatevr they give us

[/ QUOTE ]

What you say is true in as much as ESPN finds itself in a position to shape the public's taste. No-limit served as a great introduction of how exciting and dynamic a game of poker can be, but I think broadcasters will eventually embrace more forms of poker, either by choice or necessity..

I personally think 2-7 NL would have made a great broadcast.

The T.A.
07-13-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seens any duece to seven played so I can't comment on it. What I find most interesting about watching Razz is seeing the equity percentages see-saw with every card. I do think it's an interesting game.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]
Do a search for that ESPN360 streaming video of the WSOP 2004 Deuce to Seven event. It was very entertaining.

RollaJ
07-13-2005, 09:17 AM
I think the heads up Razz hand btwn Tj and Howard Lederer last year was the epitome of poker, and poker thinking. It was awesome to watch how these guys think

CanIPlay
07-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I hate to join in the usual negative tone of this board, but read the question again. ESPN, the most profitable TV network,is going to show 34 events? or episodes? from the WSOP. That is incredible and +EV.

Grinder
07-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes it blows I want to See more Fish at my O8B tables

theghost
07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's fun?

witeknite
07-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I certainly couldn't stop.

WiteKnite

USGrant
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Indeed, keep the bubble alive. ESPN is free marketing for players that can make a buck off the entertainment seekers. I'd like to see Raz though, that was interesting last year.