PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to be a sLAG?

Aunt Hillary
07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I've got about 15,000 hands experience at Party .50/1 now, and I'm a sLAG with a very happy face /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Something has become obvious, though: according to SSH, I'm far too loose. The tables may be full of bad players, but they're not SSH loose, nor are they SSH passive. According to PT:

My average opponent is 32/6 preflop.
About 50% of pots are raised preflop.

By SSH standards, that's quite tight and aggro. Following the charts it's easy to work out on a spreadsheet that given this amount of calling and raising preflop, I should have a VP$IP around 14.2%. But this is much lower than the VP$IP advocated on this forum! It's crazy low!

Let's take a concrete example - small suited connectors. Ed Miller says of suited connectors: "...you cannot overcome your preflop disadvantage if you must pay two or more bets to see the flop" and therefore "Fold all these hands in EP unless...[there are] preflop raises on 10 or fewer percent of hands." (p.39)

Now, no online game is this passive. (It roughly equates to your nine opponents having an average PFR of 1% or less. It just doesn't happen folks - there's always a LAG or TAG lurking somewhere!) So according to SSH, everyone should be autofolding these hands in EP, and most of the time folding in MP too. Yet most posters here ignore this advice - they simply have to play much looser than this in order to get VP$IPs above 18 or so. I have to play a lot more hands than SSH recommends to keep my /images/graemlins/smile.gif happy.

To all you TAGs, am I really sinning? Should I repent? And to all my fellow sLAGs, why have we forsaken SSH?

shadow29
07-12-2005, 10:23 PM
I play a 20/12 game for full ring and I'm quite happy with it.

newfant
07-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I think you can be a little looser in these low-limit games because you will get paid off a lot more on the turn and the river when you hit. nobody folds.

MrWookie47
07-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Most of the veteran posters here have VPIPs of 20-22, and PFRs of 10-12. Actually, I've been playing 23/13 poker over my first 5k hands at 2/4. I should probably tighten up a touch, however.

Aaron W.
07-12-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My average opponent is 32/6 preflop.
About 50% of pots are raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the pots are raised? Those are some aggressive games...

But it doesn't really seem to compute. Even if you have 10 players all the time, if every player has a 6 PFR, only 46% of the pots are raised. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Aunt Hillary
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But it doesn't really seem to compute. Even if you have 10 players all the time, if every player has a 6 PFR, only 46% of the pots are raised. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those ten players has a rather higher PFR. /images/graemlins/wink.gif